X CADILLAC NEW TRIPLE PLATED CHROME REAR BACK BUMPER 1963 63 OEM

Discussion in 'Ebay/Craigslist/etc Finds' started by jameshanks, Sep 12, 2019.

1. jameshanks

jameshanks Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    bmw
  2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member SUPPORTING MEMBER

$2,000!!!!! and they don't care enough to even remove the trailer hitch and hit it with a coat of paint?????
    Hell, for another two and 1/2 minutes they could have spray-bombed the backside of that super pricy bumper to really make it shine.

bite me, d

3. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Bro d:
    Ya, but free shipping, how can you pass that up???
    Ciao,
    Mario

4. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    the ad says will be chromed.

5. Darius

Details, details, details!! ;)

Good Catch!!! :)

Thanks,

bro.d

6. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Obviously this will be shipped and chrome plated in China. Can't find any good chrome platers in US anymore. All the US chrome platers can't afford to deal with the current Environmental and safety requirements for the required chemicals and disposing of all the old chemicals required for plating, as well as meet all the new safety and insurance requirements of the workers. Unfortunately this is what we are stuck with now.

In China they can hire kids to do the labor, pay them next to nothing, then dump the chemicals in the river. This Ebay vendor is just a middle man. Of course you can just send your bumper directly a US chrome plater, who will ship it to China, and you can skip the Ebay dealer's markup.

I can see a dent on the bumper from the factory bumper jack. The stupid factory jack will leave a small dent and a slight twist in the bumper if it was ever used to jack up this 5,000 lb. beast. Since you are picking up the car from the bumper and near the end, you have to jack up all the unsprung suspension to get the tire off the ground, so like 2' of vertical jacking up of the bumper on one side is needed to just get the tire 2" off the ground. It really twist the hell out of the bumper and puts tons of force on the bumper contact surfaces, usually leaving dents or scrapes, and sometimes the bumper doesn't flex back to its original shape. Bad GM design.

The dent, or any dent, will really be noticeable after the new plating. I would NEVER buy chrome bumpers from photos for that kind of money. There could be a twist in the bumper that won't even show until mounted and the you have a 2" gap from the fender on one side and no gap on the other. You can't pick this up twist or warping from photos if the bumper is unmounted.

7. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

Why are we seriously talking about this item? I don't think there is anyone of sound mind that would take this adv. seriously.
    Greg Surfas

5one9 likes this.
  8. Darius

Caddylackn,

I don't know about your part of the country but there are chrome platers right here in the good old U-S of A!!

There are three close to by here in Salt Lake City/Ogden. https://www.google.com/search?sourc...i357j0i131j0i10.SK0uON-RAvo#spf=1569272068967

Certainly, there are provisions to protect the environment today that didn't exist years ago but that has not stamped out the trade … maybe made it more expensive.

Again, your "mileage" may vary.

Best,

bro. d

9. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

I am in the Seattle area. We probably have the toughest environmental regulations in the country, except maybe Portland :rolleyes:.
    I contacted two "platers" in the Seattle area about straightening a bumper for me and they told me that they sub all their work to China, and they are just handlers and shippers. The new Environmental and OSHA requirements made it too expensive for them to do it in house anymore. They also told me that straightening bumpers is now a lost trade, with the cheap Chinese repops available. They used to straighten bumpers with a hydraulic press and in a jig that matches up to contours to the bumper. I haven't found anybody locally that can do this anymore. I have about a 3" deflection in a bumper end with the bend near the frame attachment point, but no marks or buckling. It should be able to be coaxed back into shape. I will probably just try parking up near a concrete wall, chocking the tires, and using a hydraulic jack.

I am glad to see that plating is still done in the USA, even though I would have to ship to Utah.

10. Monzallac 425

Monzallac 425 Active Member

When I used to work at a bumper/chrome plating shop in Syracuse NY in the early 80's, we did straighten bumpers by using only hammers, lost art I guess.:confused::thumbdown:

Doug in P.R.:cool:

11. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

Have a plater here. No triple show chrome, but still done here. Many platers still in the U.S. Of A.

12. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    Triple chrome was copper/nickel/chrome. Now it’s nickel/nickel/chrome. I believe copper did a better job filling imperfections, adhering, and protecting. A couple of platers within 50 miles of me. The last I had done was a 1971 Skylark front bumper. It looked great and held up well. $300 twenty years ago.

Monzallac 425 likes this.
  13. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

Triple plating is show chrome. Yes used with copper as base, to fill imperfections. Then polished and copper plated again. Njckel to ad color and hardness, and finaly chrome to add more color.