whats with the listed weights on new vehicles?

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
I don't get it. Shorter , narrower , smaller , aluminum , plastic , fiberglass, carbon fiber.
Where there is metal left its 1/3 as thick!!

So where's the beef must be sand bags in em when their weighed

Or is it just so they can have pumped up inflated hp numbers

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
I think the air bags must weigh a couple thousand pounds :D
Either that or they have changed the standard from 16 oz to 10 for a pound

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
I does seem that 3,200 pounds is about the min for a production car. My wife had a 350Z and it was about this but I always wondered why because it was all lightweight construction? I think all the safety stuff (air bags, bumpers, etc) and all the extras people demand (AC, power windows, ect) keep the wight up there. There is also a lot of sound control in the new cars and this is very heavy. I took it all out of the T-bird and I bet it was a 100 pounds or more. I wonder why they cannot make light weight sound control that will do the job.

TED

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
I was talking mainly about the hmmm muscle cars mustbang's weigh 4000, crudmaro's 4200
Seems like the more power they are rated at the heavier the car gets :bs:
Btw manufactures weights are wayyyy over what you'll find if you look em up

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
I think the Mustang is the lightest at a curb weight of 3,618 pounds. I think if you purchased a 1967 Mustang and put on all the latest stuff like 4 wheel disc brakes and a 5.0 Coyote engine you would end up with about the same weight. My 1947 Jeepster with a small block Chevy weights about 3,000 pounds but it does not even have roll up windows. Just seems like to make a V-8 car legal for road use it will be a min of 3,200 pounds so to have a production car with all the luxuries be 4,000 does not surprise me.

TED

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Mus ... generation)

If you follow this link to the right page under initial release you'll see the weight goes up according to hp level from 3350 to 4040
the v-6 convertable is 3475 if anything that would be the heavier unibody so the gt500
is 600 lbs heavier ?? Yeah right

I can't even get into the chebby sh@t cause I'll puke :puke:

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Interestingly Dodge dosent buy into this crap as the 2010 Viper is listed @ 3143
Much more believeable

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
73eldoconvert said:
I think my Dodge Magnum was fairly heavy, something like 4500?
I guess I was wrong then.

So a dodge magnum weighs as much as a 68 CDV. Will I tell ya
in a 60 mph head on collision I'll take the 68 after I'll be driving it
home but whoever is in the magnum or 4400 lb crudmaro will be 6 ft under
air bags 4500 lbxs and all :bolt:

Its kinda of ironic that with all the technology in a quest for better milage that all these
new confabulations designed to lessen vehicle weight seem to just make them heavier :eyebrow:

My brothers exploder is suppose to weigh something like 6200 lbs but in fact on the digital
truck scale at work it weighed 4200 with him in it his 97 gmc 8 ft bed pickup is 3800. And my
crew cab 07 1500 4 wheel drive dodge is 5000 with me and my junk in it

In fact on the old Cadillacs the title weight was 3-400 lbs under the actual weight.

Untill they closed old Cadillac main in Detroit the scales were on the line beforr even the starter was installed
My 71 Fleetwood weighed 5280

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Now i realise most just think iam nutz .. Ill try to explain it..
here it goes.

Since the new cars are made of a mix of lightweight materials much
shorter and narrower and the older cars are made mostly of Steel
I looked up the weight per cubic inch of both aluminum and steel
Steel for the obvious and aluminum because its the heavier of the
stuff new cars are made of.. For this I left out the fact that new
cars are also 7-10" narrower..

A cubic inch of Steel, Mild weighs .284 pound
Aluminum 6061 weighs .098 pound

and then extrapolated that to a heavy chebby
2014 Camaro 4374 lbs hahahahahahahahaha length 190.6" oh boy
vs.
222" o.a.l

.284 ÷ .098 = 2.8979591837
222 ÷ 191 = 1.1623036649

4374 x 2.8979591837 = 12,675.673469503 lbs

12,675.673469503 x 1.1623036649 = 14,732.98172868 lbs

So by todays standards a 77 Cadillac should weigh a minimum of 14,733 lbs
A 76 Fleetwood should weigh atleast 15,662 lbs lol
A 71 Z28 would weigh like 12,000 lbs :yikes: they weighed what 3100 ??
So a new one is about the same length narrower and weighs 1 1/2 times as much
but is made of all lightweight materials.... yea ok ..

Darius

Reaction score
So, why does it matter? Inconsequential B.S., this focus on vehicle weight.

Is life so boring that you go out looking for something to be pissed about?

I've got REAL problems compared to that inconsequential crap. Today I got the car ready for the journey to the drag strip. There aren't as many anymore and they are further out so the travel time is greater. I got everything packed, gassed the car, checked tires, took care of bathroom breaks - BEFORE leaving, and took off.

The good news is that everything went just fine. No, unscheduled stops, driver changes or anything, allowed the travel time to be 21 minutes. Not as good as the old days, but hell, you do what you got to do!

Now, that's something to bitch about.

da HWC

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
D , it is in the off topic B.S section..

I like numbers ...always have.. my Dad dropped out of school in the 8th grade
(common for someone born in 1924) He was a old time self taught Tool Maker
A darn good one.. He even taught himself Trig ..He figured and was correct
I may follow in his steps and thus used math as one of my punishment's

By the time I was 14 , I was a human calculator.. you could ask me mutiplacation
Or division any combo . I could break the problems down in my head in an instant
And I could see the answer in my head. No crap.. In fact
In high school i got 100% on math test but failed because I would write out the
steps.. I didnt need to. The stupid teacher felt I was cheating ..My Father went
to argue with him and had me solve whatever the teacher threw at me on the spot..
The sob wouldnt budge .. So my Dad had a pow wow with the vice prin...the vp claimed the teacher had total controll in grading...My Dad wasnt the kind to take shit sitting down ..it got interesting. The vp's (who us kids nicknaked NUBBERS) got lippy.

They were both standing at this point and my Dad said..
HEY NUBBERS SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP LITTLE MAN.. as he pushed old
j dub nubbs back into his chair.... I'll never forget it..
man how things have changed

Iam surprised this got you upset .. I was just pointing out things that dont
make sense and it does erk me that with every other car made the hp numbers
Suposedly were kept lower than actual except Cadillac.. And a old time stock
Caddy was as fast and faster than alot of the so called muscle cars.. I dont like
lies and or esp being lied too.. Nothing to be lol "Mad" about ..haha ..get it Mad..

Brother D.. seriously
You know I love ya.. I was praying for you and ... when you fell off the
C.P.com radar Iam the one that was looking to find out where you went..

Your problems are way worse but i gots me a few too
Trust me I have plenty to be pissed about

Are you hiding a camaro under that Studebaker ?? lol

Yendor

Reaction score
Maybe brother Darius was being just a little bit sarcastic. It is true that everything is relative, but I have to drive 21 minutes to even get to town to buy a spark plug. Having a drag strip that close, sounds more convenient than not. If a man's REAL problems amount to such an expenditure of time to go racing, he has been truly blessed. And Darius, I to was among the folks here praying for your safe and healthy return, it's good to have you back. :thumbup:

On the weight thing, I'd wondered about that to. Perhaps the gravity is thicker where they put the new scales. :scratchchin: lol

On a different but related note, don't overlook the fact that the smaller lobes on
that #3 cam will help you reclaim some of that phantom weight on your new build. ;)

The Mad Cadder

Reaction score
Yendor said:
On a different but related note, don't overlook the fact that the smaller lobes on
that #3 cam will help you reclaim some of that phantom weight on your new build. ;)
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

pila78

Reaction score
When I bought my '77 El Camino Classic new, I drove it from the airport where I worked to the local gas station & filled it ( 26 gallon tank). a few blocks away was the local grain elevator, so I weighed it for just curiosity. Scale without me in it was 4142 lbs. Engine was a 305 boat anchor.....step on the gas, light up a Camel & wait for something to happen type performance....

26 gallons of gas is about 160 lbs, so the title weight of 3900 + was about right..

Darius

Reaction score
The Mad Cadder said:

By the time I was 14 , I was a human calculator.. you could ask me mutiplacation
Or division any combo . I could break the problems down in my head in an instant
steps.. I didnt need to. The stupid teacher felt I was cheating ..My Father went
to argue with him and had me solve whatever the teacher threw at me on the spot..
The sob wouldnt budge .. So my Dad had a pow wow with the vice prin...the vp claimed the teacher had total controll in grading...My Dad wasnt the kind to take shit sitting down ..it got interesting. The vp's (who us kids nicknaked NUBBERS) got lippy.

Caddy was as fast and faster than alot of the so called muscle cars.. I dont like
lies and or esp being lied too.. Nothing to be lol "Mad" about ..haha ..get it Mad..

Brother D.. seriously

Brother Julius,

Face it, you is just getting too old to recognize subtle humor. Bro. Yendor got it right. I was funning with you Man. Why else would anyone say that having a drag strip 21 minutes away was a challenge? Why would it be necessary to gas up the old Jenny, check her tires as though we were heading out on a lengthy journey, if it weren't said in humor? Why would attention be given to pre-bathroom breaks and talk about changing drivers for a silly 21 minute ride if it weren't in jest?

I need to take you out for a night on the town and get you wasted -- with me being the designated driver. Think I'll do that on my Eastern "Break in the Studebaker" road trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKlxvSfkfQ

Okay, maybe in MY old age I need to be LESS subtle with my sick humor. I laughed with enjoyment that the weight thing got your old blood stirred. No one but ANOTHER SICK BROTHER would be in that predicament.

Now for the serious side of the recent posts. Brethren, I am more grateful for your prayers than you could possible know. The positive comments about my little Stearman ride uplifted my spirits. (TMI - Personal stuff removed. d)

Oh, and please pardon my attempts at humor.

Best,

d (aka da HWC)

pila78

Reaction score
As far as the Stearman ride ( the Stearman is a military PT-17 by the way), flying itself is a great feeling ! I started in 1966, and rejected people who wanted me to get a commercial ticket. Doing if for a living ruins the original fun & satisfaction of it all.....at least in my opinion....

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Darius said:
The Mad Cadder said:

Brother D.. seriously

Brother Julius,

Face it, you is just getting too old to recognize subtle humor. Bro. Yendor got it right. I was funning with you Man. Why else would anyone say that having a drag strip 21 minutes away was a challenge? Why would it be necessary to gas up the old Jenny, check her tires as though we were heading out on a lengthy journey, if it weren't said in humor? Why would attention be given to pre-bathroom breaks and talk about changing drivers for a silly 21 minute ride if it weren't in jest?

I need to take you out for a night on the town and get you wasted -- with me being the designated driver. Think I'll do that on my Eastern "Break in the Studebaker" road trip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GKlxvSfkfQ

Okay, maybe in MY old age I need to be LESS subtle with my sick humor. I laughed with enjoyment that the weight thing got your old blood stirred. No one but ANOTHER SICK BROTHER would be in that predicament.

Now for the serious side of the recent posts. Brethren, I am more grateful for your prayers than you could possible know. The positive comments about my little Stearman ride uplifted my spirits. (TMI - Personal stuff removed. d)

Oh, and please pardon my attempts at humor.

Best,

d (aka da HWC)
:thumbup: