Water temperature sender location??

airbrushguy

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1976 eldorado
I have an Autometer temp gauge that I hooked up to my sender which is in front of the intake manifold
near the water pump. I think the gauge or sender is reading wrong because the gauge says 210 but
the infrared gun reads 145 on the water pump and around the sending unit.
Sender and gauge are new. Is there somewhere else I can mount the sender that might give me a better reading before I decide to replace sender, gauge or both?
Thanks

Darius

Reaction score
This thread should help answer your question about temperature sender locationS.
I
t's worth the time to read all of the comments.

Hope this helps.

bro. d

airbrushguy

Reaction score
1976 eldorado
Thanks Darius, I like those two front drilled locations but I don’t feel comfortable drilling the bloc while the engine is in the car. I suspect the sending unit is the problem.
Thanks again

Big Cadoo!

Reaction score
Allegro
I have an Autometer temp gauge that I hooked up to my sender which is in front of the intake manifold
near the water pump. I think the gauge or sender is reading wrong because the gauge says 210 but
the infrared gun reads 145 on the water pump and around the sending unit.
Sender and gauge are new. Is there somewhere else I can mount the sender that might give me a better reading before I decide to replace sender, gauge or both?
Thanks
Cadillac big blocks have the perfect sensor location as it is at the mid point of coolant flow before it flows out of the engine. Middle of front of engine behind water pump.