Update what ive been working on

kzhurley

Reaction score
Ive been working on a 2x4 efi setup for my 56 coupe de ville.
The intake is a custom sheet metal intake I purchased off of member jwsunup on here a while ago who made a couple for a few people. It is a low rise single plane that happens to have the same carb centers as a stock 1956 Eldorado dual quad oil bath air cleaner.
I am mounting the fuel rails and injectors under the intake. They fit under the valley pan when installed. I'm going to use bulkhead fittings in the back of the intake to bring the fuel lines through.
For throttle bodies, I'm using (2) rochester 4gc carbs from a 429. They're something like 690 cfm each or so. I'm converting them into throttle bodies but I'm leaving all the linkages intact.
Here are some pics so far...

Attachments

Darius

Reaction score
THAT is Choice!!

I love the concept of the hidden injectors and the use of two old carbs for the supposed fuel handling!

It is going to be a tall sucker but I'm sure you've already measured it a time or two.

Nice work, and fun too.

bro. d

kzhurley

Reaction score
How are you going to get your TPS to work ?
I am going to mill the base plate on the rear carb to mount the tps to. I'll block all the passages in the base plate and try to seal up the butterflies best I can. Then I'm mounting a stepper iac to the manifold between the carbs. Not going to be 100% hidden, but shouldn't look obvious.

kzhurley

Reaction score
THAT is Choice!!

I love the concept of the hidden injectors and the use of two old carbs for the supposed fuel handling!

It is going to be a tall sucker but I'm sure you've already measured it a time or two.

Nice work, and fun too.

bro. d
Right now I have an edelbrock intake on the car with a holley 454 tbi and a modified stock single 4bbl oil bath aircleaner. It's pretty tall now. But this 2x4 intake isn't more than 1/2 inch taller than the edelbrock. There is a lot of hood height in a 56 cadillac. Rough measurements it looks like it'll fit, but if not, I can shorten the stacks above the carbs some. And shorten the pods down some to keep clear of the valve covers

Attachments

kzhurley

Reaction score
On the hunt for another 63-64? Rochester 4g carb. One of the ones I picked up is unusable due to the base plate froze up solid.

kzhurley

Reaction score
Got the rochesters converted over to throttle bodies today. Plugged all the idle circuits and removed all the innards. Also mounted the tps, locked out the choke parts, andsealed up the primary and secondary throttle blades.

Still need to get them replated, but for now they'll work.

Attachments

kzhurley

Reaction score
Well, got the fuel rails and plumbing about finished.
Need to put rubber grommets where the bulkhead fittings go through and need to make the injector wiring subharness.
Then onto mounting and plumbing the jeep iac housing to the manifold in between the carbs..
Also recieved the fuel injectors today. They're 33lb ls2 injectors. Should support 425hp or so. Later when I get a healthy 500 built I'll be able to step up to larger ones.

I chose those injectors for
(A) they're short so I was able to keep the fuel rails low and..
(B) they're dirt cheap used lol..

Attachments

kzhurley

Reaction score
Some mockup pics finally lol. Need a few more coats of caddy blue on the intake yet but ran out of paint. Go figure. Eastwood no longer carries it I guess. Have to find something else and hope it matches the rest of the motor.

Still,need to make linkage and a wiring harness for it yet. And also need to,make some intake gaskets. Going to cut 2 sets of felpro material and sandwich the valley pan between them that way the valley pan will keep oil and such off the injectors.

Attachments

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
CHP sells a "Cad blue" engine paint. Expensive! I think around 12 bucks a can. Made by Dupli-color. Couldn't read a part # tho. Would have to order one can to get it. Then go through a parts store to order more.

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
This is why i used Dark Ford Blue. And I think it adds hp

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
The only correct color of Cad blue in an engine paint I’ve found worth the time to put it on is made by Hirsch. It’s expensive but (imho) worth it. Greg Surfas

48Austin

Reaction score
CHP has another one, but it looks like the Eastwood can. Only thing is it's 30 BUCKS A CAN!! I am going to look for it in Hemmings.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
When you decide, check on the maximum temperature for the paint. The Hirsch, I beloieve is the highest, there is an extended "dryijng" [period and the result is a longer lasting finish, IF applied like they direct.
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
Looking back at this project your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me! Dang, this is one clever, sneaky, sleeper and I just love the thing. :sneaky: :notworthy:

Questions: What size is that fuel rail material? And did you do the fabrication/drilling?

Best,

bro. d

Last edited:

kzhurley

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys fellas. I've seen those few options. I know the Hirsch is top notch stuff. I bought a couple cans of their cadillac gold for the valve covers and air cleaner once I straighten it out.

The eastwood stuff is very close to what I saw on the original 365 blue. As far as heat goes, I'm only painting the intake so any paint should be ok for that. No heat crossover.

I wonder if the chp stuff is actually dark ford blue. I don't know if duplicolor ever made cad blue that ive seen.

I don't mind what it costs. Lol... Its a cadillac it's supposed to be top notch.... Lol

kzhurley

Reaction score
Looking back at this project your ingenuity never ceases to amaze me! Dang, this is one clever, sneaky, sleeper and I just love the thing. :sneaky: :notworthy:

Questions: What size is that fuel rail material? And did you do the fabrication/drilling?

Best,

bro. d
Thanks for the props..... I've been trying to following your lead :) ..

The fuel rail I picked up on eBay in a 36 length and cut and drilled and welded the fittings on it and capped the ends. I just drilled the injector holes 3/8 and then drilled and reamed the o-ring .590 diameter hole. I believe the fuel rail id is 5/8, way more than I needed but it was very reasonably priced and it was good quality and easy to work with.

The intake side I made steel bungs using 3/4 .125 wall dom tube. Then reamed them to the correct id for the injector o-rings. Then beveled them at the correct angle. Then located and drilled the intake where I wanted them. And welded up. So far so good. Ive pressure tested it and no leaks..

48Austin

Reaction score
This is why i used Dark Ford Blue. And I think it adds hp
Color comes close but I don't want to be "Found On Road Dead".

48Austin

Reaction score
Also, having enough problems building my Cad gasser don't want to "Fix Or Repair Daily" once it's running. Wouldn't want a buyer to get "Fu*** On Raw Deal" either when I sell.