Two Years Ago Today

59_limo

Reaction score
It was two years ago today I purchased my '59 Cadillac series 75.  Although I thought I'd be further along than I and now, I'm not disappointed.  I'm having fun with this project.  :twocents:

Reaction score
It was 6 years ago I purchased the Nash and started on it 5 years ago. Have to say the aquisition of MTS slow me a bunch. Am close to firing the engine in the chassis though.
Most of these type of projects are a hobby and are used to get you "away" from the real world
Keep up your enthusiasm and work on it when you feel like it. There should be no timetable unless you are building it for someone else  :twocents:

53 Studillac

Reaction score
5 years since I purchsed the Studillac.  Drove it for two and tore it apart on July 3rd, 3 years ago...  I'm close also Marty but you are
ahead of me in the wiring dept!  Keep having fun with that 59!

Dwayne

STDog

Reaction score
53 Studillac said:
5 years since I purchsed the Studillac.  Drove it for two and tore it apart on July 3rd, 3 years ago...
Over 9 since I got the Coupe. Now where near where I though I'd be.

But, I can sill drive it.

59_limo

Reaction score
Ok- so now it's almost 6 six years. Actually have been making more progress this last year than before. Thanks to taking a class at the local jr college that forces me to set a day a week aside and motivates me to work a little more on the car in between. Tomorrow is the last day of class and I'll be pulling the body off the chassis!

:D

Attachments

pila78

Reaction score
Maybe I'm lucky then.. "only" three years on my Cad/Elco project. There is light at the end of the tunnel though :D

59_limo

Reaction score
It was 6 years ago I purchased the Nash and started on it 5 years ago. Have to say the aquisition of MTS slow me a bunch. Am close to firing the engine in the chassis though.
Most of these type of projects are a hobby and are used to get you "away" from the real world
Keep up your enthusiasm and work on it when you feel like it. There should be no timetable unless you are building it for someone else  :twocents:

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Started my project 4 years ago. Hope it doesn't out live me.

Darius

Reaction score
59 Limo,

Dang but those lines are beautiful!! Keep after it Brother.

48 Austin,

My new, whammy-dammy I phone saw fit to bring up pictures from a year ago -- as though I WANTED to be reminded of how little progress has been made.
Again, damn technology!

That said, I'll be posting some pictures of what that Big Brown Truck brought to my house today. Look for it tomorrow on my Studebaker thread.

bro. d

Caddylackn

Reaction score
I am coming up on 25 years on my '61 Fleetwood project. I think it was last licensed in 1993 :laugh:. Still runs and drives, if I could get all the crap and boxes stored on top of it and put the front seat in it. I have started a ton of car projects after I started this one, and have bought and sold 5 Cadillacs after I bought this one. Even if I finished my restore in '93 I would be doing it again its been so long......

I am changing the color of the '61, yet again, and will be doing a 500 / turbo 400 swap. I now want to go dark dark metallic sapphire blue, which only shows blue in direct sunlight. These old Caddy body styles with fins really pop with the dark colors. The original White just doesn't do it anymore for me.

I found a great link on Cad Company site for doing the 500 swap into the older cads which came with the 390. I am glad somebody ahead of me blazed the trail, and then documented and wrote it up.

The problem with these long drug out restorations, is the cost of the restoration parts keeps outrunning the budget of the project. If I would have bit the bullet twenty years ago and bought all my rubber seals, repo seat covers, and chrome replating, I might have finished. The cost of these items is just going up and up..... :mad: and is always about 50% more than I am willing to pay.......

Darius

Reaction score
I am coming up on 25 years on my '61 Fleetwood project. I think it was last licensed in 1993 :laugh:. Still runs and drives, if I could get all the crap and boxes stored on top of it and put the front seat in it. I have started a ton of car projects after I started this one, and have bought and sold 5 Cadillacs after I bought this one. Even if I finished my restore in '93 I would be doing it again its been so long......

I am changing the color of the '61, yet again, and will be doing a 500 / turbo 400 swap. I now want to go dark dark metallic sapphire blue, which only shows blue in direct sunlight. These old Caddy body styles with fins really pop with the dark colors. The original White just doesn't do it anymore for me.

I found a great link on Cad Company site for doing the 500 swap into the older cads which came with the 390. I am glad somebody ahead of me blazed the trail, and then documented and wrote it up.

The problem with these long drug out restorations, is the cost of the restoration parts keeps outrunning the budget of the project. If I would have bit the bullet twenty years ago and bought all my rubber seals, repo seat covers, and chrome replating, I might have finished. The cost of these items is just going up and up..... :mad: and is always about 50% more than I am willing to pay.......

You got that right!
Trying to get a new or modified electronic speedometer is one of the newest challenges. I priced a few places a couple of years ago but the costs have gone way up since then.

bro. d

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Trying to get a new or modified electronic speedometer is one of the newest challenges. I priced a few places a couple of years ago but the costs have gone way up since then.
Have you looked into GPS gauges and using GPS apps with your phone?
With GPS, the old school corrected cable or trans sensor speedometer is now obsolete. GPS works with any tire size, gear ratios, tranny. You could even put it in your boat. GPS speedometers are under a $100 now.

https://www.amazon.com/ELING-Speedo...ocphy=9033455&hvtargid=pla-623530486779&psc=1

Darius

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

Nice to know of something that a guy can afford. Now to see if it can fit in the available space.

Best,
bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
I heard that there was problems in certain areas and tunnels where they didn't work well.But I heard this some time back so it may be fixed or no longer a problem.
It would save some problems .I have an electronic one that works off a pulse generator you put in place of the speedo cable.

Richard richie49

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Who cares about tunnels? Are they usually speed traps? I think not!

kzhurley

Reaction score

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
I have a Dakota digital mechanical
I second the Dakota digital gauges. Simple to use accurate and the best customer service too. My Brother installed Dakota dash on his Harley.Yes they make them for bikes.