Transmission storage

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by Red98422, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Red98422

Red98422 Member

Just a quick question as I’m going to be rebuilding my transmission soon. How long can a transmission sit after being rebuilt? Also any special things that you should do to store it properly?

2. MIHELA

MIHELA Active Member

Make sure all the holes are sealed up to keep dust and animals out, and similar to and engine you need to figure out a way to prevent parts from surface rusting.

3. Red98422

Red98422 Member

Thank you for the response. Seems straight forward, but I’m unsure of a few things. Should I store the trans with full fluid? Also is there a need to “prime” the fluid prior to use like you would with an engine?

4. MIHELA

MIHELA Active Member

When you rebuild the trans it depends, if you solvent clean the parts they will lose their surface coating of oil. If your trans is reasonably clean inside like mine was and you just wipe the parts off they will still have fluid on them and will not rust. I rebuilt my trans and threw it in the truck and it sat over the winter and I had to take off the pan to change a solenoid and the filter was rusty. Not bad but I imagine the hard parts would have had rust on them too had I cleaned them thoroughly.

SHAKEDOG likes this.
  5. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Dont forget the vent tube, make sure its covered.m I used Vaseline with the corner of a zip lock bag and twist tie from a loaf of bread.

6. Red98422

Red98422 Member

for what I’m planning to do I’m most likely going to need to use solovent, I’m replacing all the steels, frictions, bushings and gaskets and modifying the valve body (master rebuild from OPT) this is going to be for my TH-425. Thank you for the heads up on the vent tube PJ!

Question for you MIHELA, was the rust because you were storing it dry? That sounds like it could have be a serious problem if it had gotten to the steels.

Similarly related, should I wirebrush and paint my casing before or after rebuild....I’m leaning toward cleaning it up first then rebuild then light clean again then paint, because of the amount of corrosion on the case my fear is I’ll knock some crap off in the middle of my rebuild...on the other hand I don’t want to end up getting a freshly painted case smeared with ATF and other garbage ruining my work.

7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Gee, and you STILL had kids?? Wow! You is one potent brotha!

d

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  8. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to worry about the transmission case rusting because as you know as they are aluminum. They do oxidize some but that isn't an issue. Much time was spent cleaning, prepping both my tranny and the transfer case prior to painting so you might want to go that route.

Best,

bro. d

9. Red98422

Red98422 Member

Bro D, thank you for weighing in on this matter, my main concern with the case is that I’ll knock crap off of it while rebuilding it, I don’t have a bunch of room to work with and I have to move everything every Friday and Sunday to take it out and put it back into my storage. I can’t leave them sitting out and separate from each other and the condition of my case is really bad (paint peeling, corrosion and rust on the diff unit and main rear mount). I don’t want to ruin a well prepped and painted unit, but at the same time I don’t want to ruin an expensive and meticulous rebuild either.

10. MIHELA

MIHELA Active Member

I believe my rust issue was due to being in the truck outside in the dead of winter, just condensation. You could probably get fluid on the parts by filling the converter, installing and rotating to get some fluid in the pump. make sure your cooler line is looped so it doesn't puke on the floor. it doesn't have to be full full.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  11. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Bro D. You have no IDEA.:coffee::geek:

12. Red98422

Red98422 Member

Thank you all for the advice! I’m sure when I tear into this bad boy I’ll end up with some more questions

13. robocop

robocop Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1987 Cutlass Supreme 2 door with 500 Cad/Turbo 40
    If you rebuild it and let it sit for years before using it, it may leak when filled with fluid and put into service from dried out seals. A winter is nothing however.
    Any I have had good luck with the stop leak additives for transmissions in stopping leaks or at least reducing them.

14. Red98422

Red98422 Member

Thank you for the response