Too nice to part out??, .. Thanks

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by airbrushguy, Aug 10, 2019.

1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1976 eldorado
    After getting the news from my engine rebuilder that my “45k” engine needs to be rebuilt, I was told by a friend that he knew a guy who had his uncle’s 18k 1976 Cadillac Coupe de Ville left to him and he had no place to store it, so I went to check it out and it seems to match his story.
    Now the dilemma, if I pull the engine, best I could do with the car is to part it or junk it.
    If I sold it as is, maybe I could make enough to pay the engine rebuild of my engine.
    The interior is like new, blue leather, chrome is terrific, tires wheels etc all good and like I said, engine and trans run and sound great. Needs paint, maybe hood, and rear plastic fender “fillers”.
    Don’t know how easy these cars are to sell or how much to ask? Would it be easy to sell parted out?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Gene

Gene New Member

Hello! I am interested in the car. I don't know where you are located?
    Thanks Gene

3. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    I’m in New Jersey

4. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member SUPPORTING MEMBER

The car looks wonderful!! That is definitely not a part it out car!!!!

Wow! Some touch up work under that hood and the car would get applauds for the exterior, interior (need pictures) and under hood!

Jersey? I was about to ask what part of the world you have to live in to get that kind of under hood surface rust???

bro. d

5. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    Not many good pics, will get more if I buy it. 0-1.jpeg 0.jpeg

6. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    As said before....plastic rear filler panels are gone. Rust on hood front and trunk rear, all from sitting outside for a few years, after owner got tired of buying carryovers. Chrome looks great, fenders have no rust or dents, doors great....vinyl roof even has no tears. Would be an easy restoration for me, if I wanted the car. Definitely 18k mileage.
    What would I be able to ask for it, for quick sale?
    Thanks

7. Darius

Sorry, but I have zero idea on pricing.

Best,

bro. d

8. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    What are you thinking it’s worth? $500? $5000? $50000?

9. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    Good question, I guess if I can’t get $5000, I might as well pull the engine and either junk or part the rest.
    I thought the perfect interior and chrome would be worth something to someone restoring a car. Trans and rear are great shape as well.....we are only talking 18k miles on the whole car.
    The timing of my project will be the final factor in the decision.
    Thanks for your responses.

10. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

If it is only 18k miles and can be verified by records or receipts, or other way, and it is a driver, I would say it would be worth at least$5k as is. The perfect top and interior is the selling point, those parts are way too expensive now to restore on cadillacs. New bumper fillers, and rust repair is not too hard to do and can be done by any reputable body shop. You can't touch restoring a Cadillac interior and top for under $5k. Is there rust under the top? Check by rear window. That could be a breaking point for selling for $5k or over.

11. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    The rust seems to be limited to the hood and trunklid.

12. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    I'd be surprised to see it bring $5000 unless it has zero other rust beyond what you describe. I can't see how under the hood is that rusty and the underbelly of the car not be at least fairly rough. If I thought I could get $5000 I'd be selling it ASAP. You can buy another engine transmission combo for significantly less and have money left over for a few upgrades.

Unless...……………….you've been wanting a '76 Caddy. Then I'd say you have a decent car for the money. You are considering parting it out so I assume you aren't 'set' on a '76 Caddy.

Just my opinion and you never really said what you have tied up in it.

13. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    As wrong as it may be, I think I'll pull the engine and then strip out interior, and remove bumpers. See if I can find buyers, I just had a new cloth interior put in my '39 Buick for $5500, so you would think that somebody needing a new leather interior in a Cadillac would pay$1500 or so for this. Bumper chrome is great...get what I can for them.
    Thanks for your responses.

14. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

FWIW at this stage in the game it seems to me that in spite of its low mileage, the motor in the 76 will need a new timing set and valve seals. Assuming you could’ve get $1500 or $2000 for the car running that money would be better spent (imho) on rebuilding your motor
    Greg Surfas

5one9 likes this.
  15. airbrushguy

airbrushguy Member

1976 eldorado
    Don't know whether this is worth sending but here are some pics of the interior. For those wondering how that surface rust is on the engine.....that's what happens to an engine that has so little mileage that it never got a chance to have a layer of oil to develop under the hood during it's 18k miles!Anything that doesn't look perfect in the interior is due to the phone camera, it looks great! IMG_0214.jpg IMG_0215.jpg IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0220.jpg IMG_0222.jpg

16. USSCADY

USSCADY Member

1975 Coupe DeVille
    I have to put my 2 cents in... my 75 Coupe was in worse condition when I restored it 20 years ago. Never did at as investment though. 70s cars are just starting to appreciate after doing nothing forever. Not many decent examples of these big girls left.

To repaint my car is easily $8k if I had it done, but it doesn’t need it. The car was appraised at $13k 4 years ago. There is a Facebook group for 71-76 Caddy’s that would likely have a buyer for that car at $5k.

I hope you save it. Fillers are cheap but take some time to fit. My guess is for $2-3k you could get the hood, deck lid and fillers looking good. These cars are $10-15k in top condition.

17. USSCADY

USSCADY Member

1975 Coupe DeVille
    If you like comfort, they are hard to beat. Took my wife to Carmel-By-The-Sea for our anniversary this year. This car was Georgian Silver.

Attached Files:

18. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Your car is way nicer than any of the Cadillacs posted around here for sale in the Northwest for $5k or under. I would find a good used hood and trunk lid and buy it and include it in the sale. The new owner could get a decent paint and body shop could to paint match it pretty close and install it.

You will have to update the timing set and valve seals on any used motor you find, so consider that as part of the purchase price.

Even if you or me were lucky enough and found another Cadillac that was this nice or nicer for $5k, it would have 118k miles, and not 18k. The 18k original is what increases the value to the $5k mark. I have never seen an interior that nice, the steering wheel, arm rests, and dash are not even cracked, just minor wear. It has the factory option 8-track, which was a $270 option, back in 1976. I have seen a similar Cadillac with low original miles on craigslist around here. They were asking $12k for awhile, then they dropped it to $10k then the add disappeared. It didn't have the rust on the hood or trunk though.

Yes, you could get good money for parting this car if you are patient, but that would be a shame. I would leave the car complete when parting it, then get a deposit to pull the parts. The interior shows way better complete. I wouldn't let some hack come in there and pull parts himself. Unless he pays for the parts in full before hand, with maybe an additional deposit for breakage of other parts. The interior needs to sold as a full set, seats, door panels together since they match. The headliner and visors should be sold together with the rest of the interior. The seat belts, dash, and carpet could be sold separate if wanted, since these are common colors not specific to your seats and are easy to find after market. It is hard to say what the interior would bring, if parted. This is a coupe de ville interior, not a sedan de ville, fleetwood, or eldorado interior, it has a very specific color. It could take you awhile to find a premium buyer for the interior. The body parts will be easier to sell.

Darius likes this.
  19. Darius

Ditto what Caddylackn said!!!

That car is "choice" and far to good to part out.

bro. d

20. airbrush guy

airbrush guy New Member

49 hudson
    Getting tired of low ballers and tire kickers...
    About to sell terrific body without engine or just part out.
    Because it is truly a great shape 18k original car, the sit-on-their-ass doubters are causing actual buyers to doubt. Probably should have taken my friends advice and asked a rediculous price instead of just being fair and honest.