Summer of '67

Discussion in 'Off Topic, B.S., Lounge' started by peter phillips, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:27 PM.

1. peter phillips

peter phillips Member

It's July of 1967 and I'm hanging out at the local Harvey burger in my 66 big block Chevelle .By this time it's a legit low 13 second car .At 10 o'clock a bit of action is starting but nothing very serious and I'm getting bored .A friend of mine "pig face " is harassing a wannnabee .Bit of a dumb move because pig face wants to run the guys 440 6 pack with his 327 Chevelle .
    Anyways the run is set to go and everybody fires up to go out to Hwy 122 .I decide to go along and watch .Pig face is going to get his ass wiped by this guy ,he may be a wannnabee but the 440 is an automatic and all he has to do is punch it and steer .
    I fire up the Chevelle and my passenger door opens and in hops this really cute girl .I've seen her around but I don't even know her name .She says Hi and settles in .Off we go ,it'll take about 20 minutes to get to 122 .She doesn't say a word .
    Hwy 122 is a favourite spot to run ,a set of stop lights and the road goes off through an industrial area with no side roads .
    When we get there the 327 and the 440 pull over to the side and wait to catch the light .I tell the girl to put her seat belt on .She says why .Just do it or get out .
    The two pull out and get lined up at the light and I come in behind the 440 .What are you doing ? Shut up and hang on .
    The light turns and pig face hole shots the 440 .He holds off the 440 until about 3rd gear but there's too much torque coming at him and a gap opens up between them .I go through the gap ,hit 4th gear ,and pull past him .I'm at 6 grand and still pulling when the 440 quits .
    Pig face is a friend and I don't want him ridiculed by the putz in the 440 .This way when they get on him he can say ,yeah I lost ,but Peter kicked your ass .Besides it was fun .
    Oh and the girl ,she asked me how fast we were going .I told her 120 when I let off .Not a single word more out of her all the way back to the Harvey burger .When we got there and I shut it off she got out, slammed the door and walked away .
    Two years later ,I married that girl and we are still married after 48 years .I suppose you could say this is a bit of a Valentines story.
    So wake up guys, Valentines Day is only a couple of days away .
    Peter

El Diablo, 8ad-f85 and kzhurley like this.
  2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Great story! And thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten. :)

bro. d

3. hertzdaddy

hertzdaddy Active Member

In '67 I was riding in the back of my Dad's Slant Six, 4-speed Valiant wagon watching and listening as the Chevelles, Vettes, Belvideres and Mustangs passed us by. Dad and I both would eventually get our V8's. Dad left to go jam gears in heaven this past November. Thanks for reminding me of those days as well.

4. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Peter you have a nack to hook you readers and reel them in. I like you story very much.
    "Pig face" thats usual for a nice name. But it does make me think of a new member here. I saw his face on F.B.
    THE BUTCHER
    LOL

El Diablo likes this.
  5. peter phillips

peter phillips Member

Hey PJ. Pig face is a bit harsh. He didn't have a Piggy face. His other nick name was bag eyes and it was appropriate. The guys on this forum would have liked him. He had a completely torn down Cadillac V8 in his bedroom. Dual 4 barrels in it.
    Funny I call him a friend since he almost killed me twice in the year before this adventure.
    He was a nice kid but wild. He had a 1950 Morris Minor with a small block Chevy for power. We went out for a ride in it to see how fast it was.
    He lost control of it under hard acceleration ,we got airborne and did a couple of 360's across 4 front yards. We were a bit banged up but no real damage except for the grass.
    The other incident was much more serious, a couple of cars destroyed ,ambulances and a near death experience for me.
    That one deserves a separate telling.
    Peter

El Diablo and Darius like this.
  6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Your 'friend' does sound like our kind of people.

Your youth sound like one well spent! Look at all of those memories.

Glad you survived. I would love to hear of that near death experience.

Best,

d