Sourcing Con Rods

Darius

Reaction score
Congratulations!

You knew what you wanted, then went out and found it. No bad! ;) :thumbup:

bro. d

gordon

Reaction score
I bought mine from an Olds performance place they cam in a Molnar box. Molnar does not list them . appears they were a batch order. They also have the slightly better ARP 2000 grade fasteners and are set up to run .980" pins(bushed) . If anyone is interested in getting these same rods (Listed as 425 Olds ) I will be glad to pass on the contact info. Never could get in touch with other place back east that listed them as 7.1" long. No worries on this end. I think I also found several sets of aluminum heads listed as bulldog Cadillac heads. must be old stock. Not sure how good they were compared to what has been listed as Edelbrock produced and of course the Boogie man heads. I have severe reservations about anything marked Bulldog after what he did to us studebaker builders on the head and manifold deal. I am still feeling the burn down under and toward the rear.

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
What camshaft are you going with?

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Go to BME site. Overstock page.

gordon

Reaction score
Camshaft is the only one I have for now. It is a flat tappet hyd. 228-234 @.050 112 .499 lift int. .512 lift exh. Kind of small but it will give me an Idea how these engines run. Needs to be able to idle down, power up the AC and power steering. I want it to run like a giant electric motor. Manual trans mission and ford 9" with 3.50:1 . Either the tremec six speed or their new TKX 5sp they just released. Later I will go with a mild roller. This is not a race car, I already have one of those now.

Darius

Reaction score
Camshaft is the only one I have for now. It is a flat tappet hyd. 228-234 @.050 112 .499 lift int. .512 lift exh. Kind of small but it will give me an Idea how these engines run. Needs to be able to idle down, power up the AC and power steering. I want it to run like a giant electric motor. Manual trans mission and ford 9" with 3.50:1 . Either the tremec six speed or their new TKX 5sp they just released. Later I will go with a mild roller. This is not a race car, I already have one of those now.
Those specs sound a bit like the MTS #15, minus a chunk of the lift.

bro. d

48Austin

Reaction score
Very mild for the Cad.

gordon

Reaction score
Found the cam card out in the garage. Crane cam powermax hydraulic. The real numers are .499 lift .516 lift 226/234 @.050 112 seems kind of mild ,will probably go bigger but will give me a reference point when I spend the $$$ for a roller set up. Looking for big torque and enough vac at a 750 idle for the brakes and steering and AC.

5one9

Reaction score

Last edited:

48Austin

Reaction score
Don’t get in a hurry for a roller. Courtney (Cadco) has a core coming to grind for me. There are zero cores out there. I heard that was the case and I called everybody and it is the case. Howards sold out all of theirs and doesn’t intend to order again. Comp Cams said to contact Howards. Isky is out. Courtney is out. He has them backordered. After another month of waiting, Chris from Cadco emailed back yesterday and said that the company making cores for them just went on furlough for 90 days so no end in sight. I’m glad I’m not in a bind myself.
That is bad news. :(

gordon

Reaction score
Engine is going into 53' Stude. It will be a modern version of the original Frik built studebakers in 53-54. They had Cad 331 dual quad engines backed by a Lasalle four speed. Mine is a little more modern , 500'Cad with a Tremec (Leaning toward the new TKX 5spd) trans mission and 9" ford rear. Suspension up grades also. After I retire in couple of years I will probably go EFI and maybe a centrifugal blower (Paxton 2000) set up for low boost and heat exchanger. Depends on how broke I am when I leave CA and retire. First version will still be fun. I have a set of 950 small chamber heads I will port myself. I will be checking my work on Superflow 600. I used to do alot of port work years ago mostly on 4cyl race stuff. 2 valve hemi and 4 valve pent roof designs. A lot of TRD Toyota heads had my stamp on them. I think my Rockers are ones I got from 5one9 . Went to T&D to get replacement for one or two that were hammered. Heads will use 2.190 intakes and most likely 1.88 exh. Hope to see 450 HP or little more and close to 570 on the torque. I plan building my own exhaust . Like I said I already have a high maint. race car this will be a street car I can drive every day and cross country but with enough power to still get some giggles.

5one9

Reaction score
You'll get 450/570 easy out of that combo. Man don't skimp on the driveshaft with that combo!

48Austin

Reaction score
It has appeared that this thread has been hijacked. Went from rods to cams. We still have to find out about rods. I started a thread on aluminum rods awhile back. But this seems to have started on iron rods. So, which is it? Finding out about aluminum or iron or both?

Last edited:

5one9

Reaction score
He bought rods a few posts back.....................................

48Austin

Reaction score
But how did a rod thread become a cam thread? I am also interested in rods. and what is a good source for stock, steel, or aluminum for our engines. And what we have to watch out for. We need to combine all the cam threads into one. Also rod threads into one.

Last edited:

gordon

Reaction score
Both Rod and cams , no worries. I checked out BME, they do have quite a list of Alu. rods for sale in over stock. No price listed. Nearly all of them are for Chry Hemi . I know what they normally cost and I have done business with Bill years ago. The all in price of running his rods is still higher than me running the After market steel rods that were made to fit 425 Olds. I run Aluminum rods in the race car , always will. Right now they are BME's , might switch back to GRP's or MGP. I have about 70 runs left on this set before change out.