Sometimes all carburetor problems ARE NOT ignition

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Are those electric exhaust cutouts I see? If so I want to see a video sound clip with them open :) after you hit the 400 mile mark.

……….………….or before.o_O

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
This was it before I re-did the motor (new block, new crank, external oiling circuit, so it should sound the same.

Greg Surfas

Last edited:

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Thanks! That brought a smile to my face :). I watched that at work with my headphones on, volume up.

Did you win that heat? Couldn't see the times. It looks like you got pretty good traction.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
It wasn't really a race, but at 12.99 I crossed the finish line first and got the "win" light. As far as traction goes it REALLY sucked that night. I had a 2.6 second 60 foot when I should be somewhere around 1.8 seconds.
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
Love the sounds! :D

Remind me to NOT pull next to you at a stop light. :notworthy:

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
You know if you were next to him in your project car at a lonely vacant light somewhere you be tempted to show who has the bigger something oe another:eek:

Richard richie49

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Bro D,
At this stage of my life I think I have all the revoked licenses, canceled insurance, assigned risk insurance and sirens in my ears one person needs. Street racing used to be fun, but it got old real quick and I can sure get a lot more racing done at the track than on the street. I know how fast my car can go and I really do not have anything to prove to anyone anymore.
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
Greg is a grown up. Whew, that's a sigh of relief !! :D

Richard is probably right though in that I'd likely give way to a "brief" contest (some guys never grow up :rolleyes:). But Greg is on the money that the place for speed contests is at the track. Until recently the local drag strip was about a 20 minutes drive from my house; but it has relocated to the other side of the mountain range but is still a reasonable distance. Drive time, about 45 minutes.

Best,

bro. d
(just had to replay that video two more times!)

richie49

Reaction score
Im in pasadena texas and its not easy to actually find a spot to " test your car against some one" Its kinda surrounded by lots of cities. I havent had a race for many years. I do like to test my car once in a while and even thats on hold till the dang car is back to running. Its kinda on the back burner for a little while.
There is a drag strip in baytown and I hope to get there someday.

Richard richie49

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
We are lucky here in San Antonio in that our local strip is still open. It was closed for nearly 18 months a while back. Not a lot of money to be made at a smaller strip but for now it is open
Greg Surfas

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I’m about 45 minutes from my local 1/8th mile. Very few rules and lots of test and tune. I didn’t make it with my car this year.

Big Cadoo!

Reaction score
Allegro
index.php

All carburetor problems ARE NOT ignition
« on: August 26, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »

You know sometimes it’s real easy to overthink things. My motor (511 inch, roller cam, CNC heads, 10.2:1 compression) continued to run fantastic as long as it was moving at speed but once i slowed down it would cut out and stay “dead” for a while before I could start it again. It would cut out abruptly, so it MUST be ignition, right? Well I have gone through no fewer than 5 ignition systems ending up with an MSD. a-6. Same results.
Finally had eyeballs on my AFR meter when it cut out again and guess what? Not ignition, boiling fuel and vapor lock. Finally realized that running the 1/2 inch fuel line up the inside of the fender well about 5 inches from the headers and no thermal insulation under the carb might not be the best way to go, especially with 96+ degree days.
Not that I tend to overkill things but when I get back home (I’m cooling off in the Blue Ridge Mountains for a while) I’m going to re route the fuel line to a bypass regulator away from the aheaders and run a return line back to the tank. If that doesn’t do it, look for a 73 coupe de Ville in the for sale section.
Greg Surfas