So, here we are ...

Darius

Reaction score
No new posts and very few in the past little while. Certainly that isn't a reflection of how many are interested in building the big block Cadillac engine as many still love the torque monsters. So, what is the problem? Interference for those who don't give a shit.

Well, following my surgery I've been put on long-term restriction by the doctors, and considering how crappy this old body feels, I can understand their reservations about my doing anything "strenuous." But it is Saturday afternoon and I'm heading out to the garage to do whatever I can to move the long term Caddy project forward. Today it might be to fabricate the idler pulley that will make the power steering pump functionable on my homemade serpentine drive. That may not be much, but it is something.

Anyone care to do the same with their projects, do Something?

Best,

bro. d

Last edited:

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Bro d
I know how you feel. I am just about finished putting on the 500 "break in" miles on my new motor and in the next few weeks I'll be headed out to the stirp[ and see if all my effort was worth it. Of course it is but I am not what you might consider an optimist.
Somehow I have ended up with 6-1/2, 472/500 motors in my garage. Don't ask me why, but it gives me something to keep my brain from rotting. Oh, I forgot the 425 that I am building to go into my cousin's 1600 pound roadster. I am sure I have more projects than time, but so what?
Greg Surfas

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Today I put the new coated copper head gaskets on mine. Old copper gaskets seeped from day one. I fill it up with coolant to fire up for the first time since the reassembly and both sides start dripping, not seeping, but dripping (BTW dripping is worse than seeping). Man did use up some choice language. I go ahead and fire the engine and as it warms up it starts pouring, not dripping, but pouring (pouring is worse than dripping). Oh and with no radiator cap installed so no pressure. As it gets to full temperature it slows a little so I put the cap on and set my torque wrench to 110 and the first bolt I try goes about 1/16” of a turn before it clicks. Geez.

The good news is that after I let it run for 10 minutes it quit leaking. I cleaned up the floor, grabbed my rifles and went shooting with a friend, and when I returned five hours later there is nothing on the floor. I open the cap and hear pressure release. I’ll pull the valve covers tomorrow and pull the rockers and re-torque the heads.

The new long tube headers did sound good and the engine still purrs like kitten. I hope this goes well.

Anyway D, it’s good to hear that you’re moving around. I hope my Cadillac 500 issues helped move this thread a little further along.

Bro “just about sick of working on it” Steve. I just had to do that

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
I know how you feel.I too have back problems which restrict me to much I can do for a day. Work till I hurt and go in and rest.
I finally got my Holley Sniper on my 500 and its running with very little time on the learning so far.Had to put a 1 inch spacer under sniper to clear the trans
linkage that the 400 doesnt need but I wont cut off unit.This caused the throttle linkage to not fit and the air filter to hit the hood. Going outside to see what I can do on this mess.
Hope you can get some work done on yours.

Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Seems we can feel each other's pain!! Nobody said it would be easy - and following the example of Greg, (Cadillac Kid 1), I'm not exactly an optimist that the goals of this build will ever be met. But like Greg also said, it keep the brain from rotting, (I think).

I did make it to the garage and spent a couple of hours there. Stapled some reflective aluminum roll to the what I call rafter ties (2X4s that go across wall to wall). According to the guy at Home Depot it would reflect the heat of my radiant propane heater from burning up anything above it - like the wood (rafter themselves), as it had melted the shop vac hose which was stored there. After lighting the burner up I watched that reflective foil start to melt. So much for that project.

A lot of time was spent looking everywhere for the metric tap set that was purchased a number of months ago. And don't you just hate it when you finally find what you were looking for in the drawer where it is supposed to be?
Futzed about with a new device for the welding table - which was the reason for the metric tap set - but never struck an arc.
Spent a lot of time sitting in one of the two strategically located "chairs" thinking about stuff.
Walked around the Stude countless times and even started work on that idler pulley for the serpentine belt system. Did you know that the internal installation threads on the shaft of the GM power steering pump are 3/8-16 and NOT the 5/16-18 of the NAPA installation tool? Time for a return part trip to NAPA. One step forward, two steps back.

Once I got to the point of hurting like Richie-49 mentioned, I called it good and went inside.

bro. "ineffective" d

5one9

Reaction score
Bro d
I know how you feel. I am just about finished putting on the 500 "break in" miles on my new motor and in the next few weeks I'll be headed out to the stirp[ and see if all my effort was worth it. Of course it is but I am not what you might consider an optimist.
Somehow I have ended up with 6-1/2, 472/500 motors in my garage. Don't ask me why, but it gives me something to keep my brain from rotting. Oh, I forgot the 425 that I am building to go into my cousin's 1600 pound roadster. I am sure I have more projects than time, but so what?
Greg Surfas
Keep us updated on what it does at the track.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Trust me you will be the second to know. Good, bad or indifferent it's fun seeing what I can get out of an NA "on the motor" 511 inch Cadillac in a 4900 pound brick.
Greg Surfas

5one9

Reaction score
My gaskets don't leak when the motor is cold and sitting. They start leaking as the motor is started and as it warms up. At the point that it is warm enough to open the thermostat it stops leaking. As it cools back down to room temperature it never leaks. It is consistent the four times I've done this cycle. I just put a bottle of Bar's copper sealer in it and my plan is to drive it and see if it improves. I bought a set of 'White' Corteco gaskets from Cad500. I also bought four NOS Detroit 20369CS new on eBay for $60 shipped. I am assuming that the Detroits are actually 4.38" bore. At this point I have very little confidence that the new copper gaskets will seal up, but we'll see. If not I'll either put on the 'whites' or the Detroits and hope for the best. Pretty discouraging considering the effort I have in this swap and how well everything else went. I'll fire it up again today and see what happens.

Darius

Reaction score
5one9,

I'm sorry to hear of your continuing head gasket problems. You've been doing your part which only make the matter more frustrating.

Question: are there any signs of water in your oil pan?

After reading your post about head gaskets it struck me that I had zero knowledge about Corteco “White” or “Detroit” head gaskets, so I looked them up on Google.

One of the first links was this one from back in 2005: https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/archive/index.php/t-5819.html

The folks on that forum don’t paint a positive picture of either brand.

arveetek

02-14-2005, 12:05 PM

I received my head gaskets today, but I was quite suprised to find orange Detroit Gaskets in the box instead of the white Corteco gaskets I had ordered.

I had looked up the part # for the 6.2L diesel on Corteco's website, got a dealer listing directly from Corteco, ordered that part # from the Corteco dealer, and received the orange "sticky" Detroit gaskets we've already heard about.

The box doesn't mention the name Corteco anywhere, but it shows the same part # as on the Corteco website. It says "Detroit Gasket, a division of Indian Head Industries, Inc." I looked on the Corteco website along with its parent company's website, and I don't see any mention of Detroit Gasket or Indian Head Industries. Obviously this company is owned and operated by Corteco or its parent company somewhere.

The Detroit Gasket is orange, not white, and is said to be a "Coldseal" coated cylinder head gasket, and that "Coldseal Gaskets" are a Detroit Gasket exclusive. This sounds very similar to the Corteco "White Seal Technology" marketed on the Corteco website. Hmmmm....very interesting.

Anyway, I've heard that the Diesel Depot uses Detroit Gaskets in their rebuilt engines, but I've never heard about where you actually get them. Now I know.

The orange Detroit Gaskets are part # 20654CS and sell for $33.19 each. I bought mine from Leaverton Auto Supply in St. Joseph, MO, 816-279-7483. They shipped them directly to my home very quickly, and I'm very pleased with their service.

And here I thought that I had discovered something new and extraordinary! tongue.gif

Casey”

Stray Cat

02-18-2005, 01:22 PM

The "Diesel Depot" engine I just got came with Fel-Pro gaskets...it was mentioned that "Diesel Depot" uses the "Sticky Orange" Detroit Gaskets. So, I called and asked Benny, at the Diesel Depot, about it. I thought his answer may be of interest to all here. He said that they used them, and pushed them, based on the claims of the manufacturer. Benny said that they will NOT use them ever again because they had a large number of engines returned in the first six months after beginning to use them. He said it was $50K worth of engines that failed, and the manufacturer refused to take any responsibility. He said that they went back to Fel-Pro gaskets, and they have had no more problems. "Diesel Depot" will use nothing but Fel-Pro. Benny said that there is in-sufficient strength and re-inforcement in the "Sticky Orange" gaskets, and they simply fail. I asked him about the Corteco "White Gaskets"; he said that they are the same as the "Sticky Orange" and he would never use them. He said that if you use the Fel-Pro, you will never have a problem. Hope that this didn't come too late for anyone here!”

So much for gaining “current” knowledge about either of the brands you mentioned. Anyway, it seemed information worth passing along.

Best,

bro. d

5one9

Reaction score
I had Detroit ‘orange crush’ head gaskets on my Buick 455 and they were fine. I read those reviews previously when looking for part numbers. If this motor was 0.060” over or less I’d be likely to try the Felpro gaskets that I have had since the beginning.

5one9

Reaction score
Update: With the Bar's copper stop leak poured in and the motor cold and my wallet in my pocket, I fired it up threw it in gear and headed two miles to the gas station. I shut it off and filled it up and there was nothing leaking underneath. I drove a total of 20 miles at highway speed. No antifreeze smell and 176 degrees. When I got home it was dry underneath. We'll see how it goes.

By the way at 50 mph cruising in 2nd gear and going hammer down brings a serious smile. The new TH400 shifts super quick and the converter is very street friendly. It pulls out at about 1800rpm but flashes to 2900rpm in gear. Perfect. At least something is going right.

5one9

Reaction score
Everything seems to have dried up. My PS box was leaking so bad and blowing fluid backwards it was hard to tell what wasn’t wet. Different box and that problem was solved. Retorqued the oil pan. Head gaskets have dried up. I have put several miles on it in several trips. I received the ‘white seal’ Corteco gaskets and they are black, not white. Hilarious. I also received the four NOS Detroit orange gaskets. All 6 gaskets have the same part number. All 6 have 4.385” bores compared to Felpro 4.360”. As long as the copper stays dry I’m fine with them. Cad500 was fast getting the Cortecos to me but their shipping cost is ridiculous.