Small electrical switch help

mario

Reaction score
Hi guys:
I need a little (actually a lot) help. I am looking for a small switch to mount on my dash. It has to have two functions. First, it must cut power to my clock and second, it must fast forward the hands to adjust the time.
I have looked for a push button (to make, or break contact) and to rotate, making momentary contact to adjust the time.
The push button would make or break the 12 volt feed to the clock. The momentary rotary part would connect the feed from the clock to ground to change the time.
Anybody know of a switch that can do the job?
Thanks.
Ciao,
Mario

P.s.: doesn’t have to be a push button, rotary style. Just be able to do two functions.

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Mario
Wouldnt a 3 position switch on-off-on work? on side to feed clock ,off to kill current ,then the other on to set time.I was thinking of heater fan switch for hi low and off. it might not work for you but its a thought.
Richard richie49

mario

Reaction score
Mario
Wouldnt a 3 position switch on-off-on work? on side to feed clock ,off to kill current ,then the other on to set time.I was thinking of heater fan switch for hi low and off. it might not work for you but its a thought.
Richard richie49
thanks richard:
that just might do the trick. maybe a three position rocker or something like that. might need some help wiring it, though.
ciao,
mario

Red98422

Reaction score
A three postion switch for a bilge pump has a momentary on, an off and a full on function might work for your needs

Red98422

Reaction score
Wiring should be pretty simple, you would put the clocks feed onto the “common terminal” (typically the center terminal)

+12v to the full on (auto) position. This would put power to the clock when switched

Wire ground to the momentary (manual) which should do your adjustments (push and hold)

Rocker centered would be off

I think that should be capable to do what you need, that is if I am understanding what you wrote above correctly.

it’s a bit different than you would typically wire a switch of this style but the switch doesn’t care which way the power is coming from

mario

Reaction score
hi guys:
here is the wiring/install directions. it might be a little more intricate than i thought.
i would like to stay with a round style switch, easier to drill.
thanks.
ciao,
mario

p.s.: i have the 2 1/8" clock.

Attachments

Red98422

Reaction score
I can see on the diagram why you have been having trouble.

It seems that the time adjustment function needs the clock to be powered on in order for it to function, however you want to add a power off option (I’m assuming for storage of the vehicle) and want to keep it as one switch for a clean look

I don’t blame you for wanting to stick to a round style the square ones can be a PITA to get mounted cleanly

give me some time I’ll see what I can dig up...I think I remember a switch that had a push button momentary and the base swiveld to on and off

Red98422

Reaction score
You are quite welcome

Yes! A switch like that should work I’m trying to work around to how you would wire the pin out to maintain the +12 durring clock movement and maintain an off position and I’m pretty sure I’ve got it figured out.

I can draw up a basic diagram based on the switch pin out and clocks requirements in the AM

ETA: Keep in mind the data the seller has on the switch is kinda vague/incomplete and I am making a few assumptions. Let me sleep on it and I’ll try to get you a well thought out pinout wiring.

Last edited:

Red98422

Reaction score
You are welcome! I enjoy helping fellow fourm members when I actually have the knowledge to do so.

There is one thing that can be modified should you want. Basically how i drew the wiring will have the LED on when the switch is on.

You can adjust the wiring to have the LED come on only when the clock has power, or eliminate the LED function entirely. (I can draw a seperate diagram if you would like)

I was looking at that switch you linked and I am assuming the momentary push function is wired into the LED to change colors/turn the light off. It may be possible to wire the momentary function to adjust the clock, you would lose the functionality of the LED. however this is something that would have to be bench tested as there is not enough information on the sellers page and it would probably be a PITA to have to push the switch in 6-7 times rapidly to stop the time adjustment

mario

Reaction score
Thanks again red. I will order the switch and set it up on the bench and then test it the way you diagrammed it. then i can see how it works. I will get back to you with the results. It will take a while as the switch is offshore.
Ciao,
Mario

Last edited: