Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Don't know if this is of any use, but this is the 1980 mount for the R-4 compressor. The rear of the compressor is supported by two tubular rods that mount to the back of the compressorIMG_1400.jpgIMG_1401.jpgIMG_1401.jpg on the thru bolts and bolt to the intake to cylinder hgead mounting bolts.
Greg Surfas

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
LOL, sounds about right on that time line; a fact which is uncomfortably familiar. :(

Do you have pictures of your proposed AC mount? I can't envision the need for 1/2" bolts to secure the rear of that compressor. A 1/2", even at grade 5, "on paper" should be able to hold the entire vehicle - not factoring in the size of your loved ones or your emergency supply of beer kegs.

I'd love to see a picture of the Sanden 508 pump too!

Best,
bro. d
It's the slightly modified stock aluminum mount. These mounts are pretty stout in my opinion. Ground out the 'U' to clear the pump body. Slotted the passenger side compressor mounting bolt hole to mate to the Sanden pattern. Ground some on the driver side corner of the mount to completely clear my MSD distributor in case I need to adjust some timing.

Here's what I'm thinking and help talk me through it. The Sanden is much lighter than the original. It is also way shorter than the original. The Sanden is really well balanced when using only the front mount flange. The original is like a brick of lead hanging off of the rear when using only the front mount. Hence the need for support on the rear of the original. I believe that if I drill and tap the block to 1/2"NF using grade 8 bolts, drill the aluminum mount to 1/2" and bolt it down, I don't think I would need support on the rear. Even considering the belts driving and pulling on the front of the compressor doesn't concern me too much. What I don't want is to be wrong and the compressor ends up in my fan and radiator at the most inopportune time.

The Sanden fits in it's place like it was born there with the MTS intake. The pulleys line up spot on. I'll put the correct Cadillac hose on it. Here are some pics.

Attachments

Darius

Reaction score
Don't know if this is of any use, but this is the 1980 mount for the R-4 compressor. The rear of the compressor is supported by two tubular rods that mount to the back of the compressorView attachment 25228View attachment 25229View attachment 25229 on the thru bolts and bolt to the intake to cylinder hgead mounting bolts.
Greg Surfas
Bro. Greg,
Great pictures of that R-4 compressor mount. I hadn't seen anything that clear before. You say that two tubular rods support the back end which leaves the question, what do they attach to?
While my current application wouldn't allow room for that setup due to height, it is nice to have a perspective.

Thanks,

bro. d

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. 5one9,

Another set of great pictures! They certainly helps all of us better understand a person's problem - IF there is a problem. And if no problem, great as we get to see the handiwork of others.

That's a slick job of finishing the stock front mount. "Tasty" and functional come to mind. I really don't think you need to go any larger than stock on the two bolts that secure that mount to the block. Whether grade 5, or grade 8, those holes are deep enough to provide a solid platform and boring them out might actually make the area weaker. I would concentrate on fabing a couple of simple mounts made of strapping to secure the rear. That would eliminate any "tail wagging."

Best,

bro. d

5one9

Reaction score
I think I can modify a second factory mount, turn it around backwards, and make a support plate for the bottom. I’ll update with pics if it works.
Steve

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Bro father tubular rods have the ends flattened ab n d drilled and twisted
so that one end bo ok ya to a compressor through bolt and the other end bolts to one of the intake hold down bolts
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
Bro father tubular rods have the ends flattened ab n d drilled and twisted
so that one end bo ok ya to a compressor through bolt and the other end bolts to one of the intake hold down bolts
Greg Surfas
I LOVE that idea!! Simple tubing, flattened on the ends then drilled. I doesn't get much simpler than that.

Thanks!

bro.d

Darius

Reaction score
I think I can modify a second factory mount, turn it around backwards, and make a support plate for the bottom. I’ll update with pics if it works.
Steve

Attachments

5one9

Reaction score
Something just about like that. Only not as clever as the window AC. Man that SOB would freeze a car up tight!

MIHELA

Reaction score
Actually automotive AC compressors are sometimes larger than the ones in central AC systems. They have to be that way to cool a 120+ degree car quickly and keep it there with all the glass.

5one9

Reaction score
Actually automotive AC compressors are sometimes larger than the ones in central AC systems. They have to be that way to cool a 120+ degree car quickly and keep it there with all the glass.
May be, but I've spent the night in a single wide trailer bedroom with a window AC cranked down and it was very effective...………………………..don't ask what else I was doing! :p

Darius

Reaction score
Got Pictures??

Ahh, of the window air conditioner, of course.

Bro. "bad"d

Darius

Reaction score
It was a long, long passage of time - and it has involved hours of effort to get from the beginning -- close to the end.

Time for a little trip down memory lane - again.

bro. d

Attachments

Darius

Reaction score
Moving forward -------

Attachments

5one9

Reaction score
Nighty night

richie49

Reaction score
Your project is looking good Bro D, I sure like the way that front end looks! You got all pooped out posting your pics:laugh: ,That sounds like me big time.
I work a little on it ,rest, work a little rest ,fall a sleep and wait for the next day. I do a lot of resting..:sick:
Good luck with your project....How long you been on it? if you dont mind. My little corvair is either a 19 or 20 years now I am SLOW:rofl:
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Your project is looking good Bro D, I sure like the way that front end looks! You got all pooped out posting your pics:laugh: ,That sounds like me big time.
I work a little on it ,rest, work a little rest ,fall a sleep and wait for the next day. I do a lot of resting..:sick:

Good luck with your project....How long you been on it? if you dont mind. My little corvair is either a 19 or 20 years now I am SLOW:rofl:
Richard richie49
Bro. Richie,

We is brothers fur sure! I'm so damned tired of being tired .....

Hang in there. Those pictures of the radiator are tasty.

bro. d

Last edited:

Darius

Reaction score