Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

mario

Reaction score
Bro d:
I will attest to the taurus fan. That is what is in the 49 caddy. Absolutely does its job. Cruising hot August night day parade with air on and temps are 180-190 tops.
I did have the fan motor go bad, but found a fomoco new replacement and back to new. I cut down original shroud to fit the radiator and never looked back.
Nice work bro.
Stay safe and healthy.
Ciao,
Mario

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Did I miss the pics of the fenders mocked up?

Darius

Reaction score
Did I miss the pics of the fenders mocked up?
LOL!

Alright Eagle eye, they are coming. I'm just trying to catch up on my posting to show work that has been done. The fender mockup is next as it includes the Radiator Core Support being fabricated. Time limitations considered I thought the radiator, fan and shroud build was easier to posts so went that way first.

NEXT, "out with the old, and in with the new" core supports.

Best,

bro. d

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Glad to see you having some progress Mr D. And of course its a cooling update. Sure hope it works out for you. I was thinking on my fan setup in the corvair and now I cant remember if it's off a taurus or the ford windstar. It has two fans and one is a dual speed fan. They draw a lot of amps when first turned on. But I dont know what cfm they pull. I was kinda wondering about the fenders also!!:laugh:
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. Richard,

Reading about your weather there in Pasadena, TX., I do not envy you one tiny bit. It is hot enough here at 95* to cause me to wilt after just a couple of hours.
Still, I like it better than wading through the snow to turn on two heaters; and then gag at the carbon dioxide fumes if you don't open the door to let air, COLD AIR, in.

When weather allows, and you get back to working on the Corvair, keep us posted on your progress with that cooling setup.

Fenders do make it possible to know where things fit - and where they don't - but they also make it harder to do anything on the engine or firewall. I've already talk with the owner of the sandblast shop that I've used in the past and he's ready for all four fenders to be brought in, along with the front nose piece. They will be taken down to bare metal. I'm a little worried about heat warpage but his past work has been spot on and in talking with him about my concerns he assures me they haven't had problems with work for other shops.

Best,

bro. d

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
I like the simple look of your shroud.( and ease of making setup, I need something to be easier) With the fan mounted on your new shroud , what is the depth of the assembly, radiator to tip of the fan motor? My dual fan windstar setup can be fitted to the new radiator but doesnt fit in the car. After checking the fans it was probably my problem with cooling the corvair. I might go with the mark V111 or the taurus fan (17 inch fan blades)
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Howdy Bro. Richie,

I'll measure the distance tomorrow but posting won't happen until late in the day.
As a result of the pandemic my wife is working from home and the computer isn't available much before 6:00 PM. My laptop decided to die and my fingers are too fat to work the cell phone, therefore the late posting.

Two things to consider:
1) the blades dip down toward the radiator core at their outer ends, and up at the hub, thereby causing a variation in distances.
2) the basic height/depth of the shroud is set by the size of the aluminum angle. I went with 1.250 inches. There were several other sizes possible but because of closeness to the front of the engine I needed to keep things nice and tight.

I have another fan/shroud set up, one using the Taurus fan. That setup was for my son's '66 Corvair, the one running the Oldsmobile aluminum 215.
Instead of 4 pieces of angle and a flat sheet of aluminum that shroud was fashioned by bending standard air ducting. It is a super nice job but since my clearances are up for grabs I couldn't see paying to have it built and possibly not fit. Still, if you have access to a bender or have a friend in the HVAC business ......

bro. d

Attachments

richie49

Reaction score
If I make my own shroud (likely) I will make it out of light gage sheet metal. I have been looking for a mark 8with shroud assembly but can only find the motors. Now the taurus fan and assemblys are availablle from varius places rock auto,amazon,ebay so I have to keep researcing.
Richard richie49

Monzallac 425

Reaction score
Good choice on the fan D, had one on both the Monzallac and on my S10 in Arizona, the junkyard Volvo fan controller is the best to use on these 2 speed fans, wish I would of known that when I installed mine.
Always keep my stuff cool in AZ heat.

Doug in P.R.:cool:

mario

Reaction score
Doug:
You're right on about those volvo fans and controllers. I picked up some at the local pic n pull just for backup. Those two speed controllers are so simple to wire, it's ridiculous. Good articles on the net.
Ciao,
Mario

Caddylackn

Reaction score
If I make my own shroud (likely) I will make it out of light gage sheet metal. I have been looking for a mark 8with shroud assembly but can only find the motors. Now the taurus fan and assemblys are availablle from varius places rock auto,amazon,ebay so I have to keep researcing.
Richard richie49
The later model crown vic fans flow really well, I think they are similar in design to the mark 8 fans. They are two speed and require a fan controller to get the low and high speed. Much easier to find ex cop car crown vics at junkyards.

mario

Reaction score
Last edited:

Darius

Reaction score
I love all of the fan and controller detail you guys are adding to this thread!! I'm going to need one of those Volvo controllers. :)

That 4900 CFM from the Mark VIII fan resulted from it being given a shot of 14 volts! The air flow was measured with a Fire Department unit of some kind. The details are in several stories from the guy who use to test then sell used fans on the Internet. At the increased voltage he said the fan pulled itself out of whatever had been holding it in place. The guys from the fire department were impressed! :geek:

Bro. Richie,
The leading edge of the fan, at it's tips, measures 1.250 inches from the radiator core; and the greatest distance measured on the same blade,but at the hub, was 2.250 inches.

Best to All,.

bro. d

Bro. Mario, thanks for the links.

richie49

Reaction score
Well that was interesting!o_OThose articles have a lot of facts in them. I was doing Ok with just the facts of the taurus fans now all this info, I think I have a headache:oops:. The volvo fan is neat because it unbolts. But the taurus one is more available. The articles have a lot of part numbers to look for which is what was confusing trying to find the fans on line. The local wrecking yards dont seem to care if you want a part or not.They say go look. And they have computerized inventory. I cant walk long enough to do that so I'm going to order off the net when I can unconfuse myself and order!:rofl: From the info from Darius (thanks for the measurements) and these articles ,I just have to bite the bullet and order a fan and go for it. I'm curius if can use my sniper dual fan control using the homemade relay setup mentioned in the article?
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I'm alive here too ol' buddy. I just bought a Sanden 508 pump and installed my condenser back in the car. I am modifying my factory AC mount with 1/2" bolts into the block. I don't know that i'll be able to support the rear of the compressor without drilling and tapping the manifold. Maybe some rubber snubbers between the back of the compressor and the manifold. Anyway i'm hoping to have cold air by the time the weather turns cold...……... :p

Darius

Reaction score
I'm alive here too ol' buddy. I just bought a Sanden 508 pump and installed my condenser back in the car. I am modifying my factory AC mount with 1/2" bolts into the block. I don't know that i'll be able to support the rear of the compressor without drilling and tapping the manifold. Maybe some rubber snubbers between the back of the compressor and the manifold. Anyway i'm hoping to have cold air by the time the weather turns cold...……... :p
LOL, sounds about right on that time line; a fact which is uncomfortably familiar. :(

Do you have pictures of your proposed AC mount? I can't envision the need for 1/2" bolts to secure the rear of that compressor. A 1/2", even at grade 5, "on paper" should be able to hold the entire vehicle - not factoring in the size of your loved ones or your emergency supply of beer kegs.

I'd love to see a picture of the Sanden 508 pump too!

Best,
bro. d

Attachments