Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Darius

Reaction score
Second Time Is The Charm

The new pulley went on without a hitch. Did all of the setup just like before - except this time I put the pulley on the RIGHT way.

As is the installation sits back from the plane of the crank, water pump and alternator pulleys but in a way that is a good thing as it allows me more room for the fabricated idler pulley yet to come. I'll either make individual spacers, or a spacer plate to get the power steering pump in line with the existing pulleys.

bro. d

Attachments

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Wear is this thing! Need more info. Never saw this before.

Darius

Reaction score
Making your own serpentine belt system really isn’t that difficult, at least not for a basic utilitarian unit. The simplest would include just three pulleys: crank, alternator and water pump. Adding power steering and air conditioning doesn’t make the job any more difficult but at that point the need for idler pulley(s) starts to come into play.

Components can be placed wherever you like, driver's side or passenger’s side, high or low, as long as everything is in the same plane and rotating in the same direction. I began by drawing the “flow” of the belt starting at the bottom of the crank pulley. Then moved on to the next component, remembering to keep additional pulleys rotating clockwise.

Next was a visit to the real world of the engine block to see if that initial layout was possible, and if not, what needed to change to make it work while keeping everything in the same plane – which actually is pretty darn easy to do as the necessary mounting holes are already in the block!

My most recent post to this thread showed the installation of the new serpentine power steering pump pulley. Those pictures also gave a glimpse of the misalignment of the PS pump with that of the water pump/crank/alternator. Spacers were needed – but how long should they be?? Without knowing that answer I could be cutting and filing for hours to get the correct length for the spacers. The simple approach was to use a stack of washers! They allowed an inexpensive, time considerate, variable method of determining the correct length.

Being somewhat anal I did use my dial caliper to measure and sort a stack of newly purchased washers to get two stacks within a few ten-thousands of one another. After fumbling with those loose washers while trying to bolt the alternator mount into place the “thought light-bulb” said, “why not use your newly developed Tig welding skills and weld the damned things together? Please note the carefully done weld job. No applause necessary (I did that myself). :D

This posting is going on too long. Sorry.

Made three stacks of washers and they worked. End of story … at least this part.

bro. d

Attachments

Last edited:

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Looks just fine

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
great job.
Hey what type of paint is that on the water pump? Looks textured. I like it. Do you have the right length serp belt?

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan

thelazyk

Reaction score
Bro' D, you are constantly an inspiration! Someday I would like to finish my own project before my demise and drive it to meet you and appreciate your craftsmanship first hand. We have both been at our projects about the same length of time, but yours is of much better quality. Keep posting, because it gets me out and about now and then to work on my own. Thank you, Lou

Darius

Reaction score
I hope that everyone had a good Easter Holiday!

With most everything closed due to the pandemic, many of us are apparently working on our vehicle projects. I say that not only because it’s true for me but also because Summit Racing’s order line is busy as hell. Their recorded phone message notes the high volume of incoming calls – plus the fact they are short staffed because of Covid-19.

I’m keeping busy with my serpentine belt setup. The final piece of the puzzle, a new A/C compressor mount is taking shape, or at least the prototype is. Aftermarket Caddy intake manifolds don’t leave room for the old Frigidaire unit. The stock Cadillac A/C mount can be modified to accept the new Sanden style compressors by deepening the “saddle” area and elongating the two mounting holes, but the stock mount doesn’t allow for a the “forward positioning” required for a serpentine pulley to be in line with the rest of the setup. A spacer could be fashioned but it seemed easier to start fresh. This prototype mount moves the compressor a couple of inches in the right direction.

The two bolts holes in the block actually sit a little lower than the top lip of the water pump housing. A riser of about 1/8” in needed to clear that housing. While spacers were made out of welded washers for the power steering pump, the weight of the A/C pump, combined with the load it places on the belt indicated something stronger was needed. Here is the mockup - using an borrowed Sanden style compressor.

Attachments

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Nice looking work. What Sanden pump is that?

DaveM

Reaction score
It looks like you might need some room around the thermostat goose neck. The 368's motor has one that goes off on a good angle and might give you room if you need it. And you might use the hose that goes with it.

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. "thelazyk" Lou, this is especially for you. (Thanks for the comments.)

One of the obvious facts about those of us on the forum is that we don’t do “cookie cutter” cars.

Whether a bone stock Cadillac or an engine transplanted into some other vehicle, we are willing to take the challenge of going for a dream. But sometimes those dreams come at a price. That price could involve “time,” “money,” “frustration,” – or all of the above - and still we chase that dream.

Of the many challenges with my Caddy powered 1950 Studebaker, sitting on a 1985 S10 pickup frame, came about because of the decision to go independent rear suspension (IRS). I’ve written about it before because that choice added years to my project. Why? Because I had no idea what the hell I was doing, and that resulted in “do overs.”

Here is the latest (and FINAL) mockup showing how the IRS cradle will be mounted to the S10 frame.

Really the problem was more than just connecting the IRS cradle and frame, it HAD to be adjustable too. Again the question of “why,” with the same answer, because I had no idea what I was doing. When all of this started I did not know to establish ride height. Adjustability is NOW needed because ‘ride height’ is still to be determined.

Picture time: Check out the wall thickness of the elements. Missing from the pictures are two 3 inch X 1 ½ inch rectangular tubes that go horizontally, side to side, under the four “buckets.” The buckets support the 1 ½ thick, quarter wall tube that connects the rod ends. To be clear, there are two tubes and four buckets. One set for the front of the cradle and one set for the rear. Oh Joy!!

Attachments

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
Thats looking good! You should be having better luck on your project because I have been keeping Murhpy busy on my car!!!!:laugh::eek::rofl:
Richard Vance richie49
I have an update on my car but to tired to write it today.I'll do it the morning

Darius

Reaction score
Hello Fellow Caddy Big Block Lovers,

Have you noticed how DEAD the forum has become since out unnamed site owners/and overseer saw fit to change not only the look of everything but the requirement for membership? Actually, the "requirements" can be filled out to basically keep the same privacy level that was here before. But my bet is that former contributors are voting with their absence due to the recent changes.

Question: Do you think that the current site own(s) have considered that the value of this little piece of property is only valuable to marketers when people (us) show and and post? It was not the brightest move to put stumbling blocks in the way of forum members, or potential new forum members. But, that's just one old man's opinion. Your mileage may vary.

(I do have new pictures of my project, complete with fenders going back on the body and final tidying up for road duty. Too bad there are so few here to care.)

Best to you all,

bro. d

MIHELA

Reaction score
I still follow this forum, but it seems most are on the Facebook group now. I still prefer the forum layout instead of the endless scroll where things get lost and messages get hidden and grouped into replies.

kboots16

Reaction score
I still follow this forum, but don't often have anything useful to add to the discussion(s). No, I don't like the new look either. Damn shame that most of the discussions happen on Facebook. I've never joined and don't intend to. I've seen the endless scroll of messages on other people's FB accounts a couple of times, and I want no part of it. Maybe I'm too old and my brain isn't nimble enough to follow the format on Facebook.