Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Second Time Is The Charm

The new pulley went on without a hitch. Did all of the setup just like before - except this time I put the pulley on the RIGHT way.

As is the installation sits back from the plane of the crank, water pump and alternator pulleys but in a way that is a good thing as it allows me more room for the fabricated idler pulley yet to come. I'll either make individual spacers, or a spacer plate to get the power steering pump in line with the existing pulleys.

bro. d

Attached Files:

DevilDeVille and kzhurley like this.
  2. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Nice, what pulleys did you start with?

3. 48Austin

48Austin Safty First! Then pull the trigger!

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Wear is this thing! [​IMG]Need more info. Never saw this before.

4. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

You are a trip
    Pj

5. mario

mario Well-Known Member

IRRC, bro d is using one of those...
    Ciao,
    Mario

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Making your own serpentine belt system really isn’t that difficult, at least not for a basic utilitarian unit. The simplest would include just three pulleys: crank, alternator and water pump. Adding power steering and air conditioning doesn’t make the job any more difficult but at that point the need for idler pulley(s) starts to come into play.

Components can be placed wherever you like, driver's side or passenger’s side, high or low, as long as everything is in the same plane and rotating in the same direction. I began by drawing the “flow” of the belt starting at the bottom of the crank pulley. Then moved on to the next component, remembering to keep additional pulleys rotating clockwise.

Next was a visit to the real world of the engine block to see if that initial layout was possible, and if not, what needed to change to make it work while keeping everything in the same plane – which actually is pretty darn easy to do as the necessary mounting holes are already in the block!

My most recent post to this thread showed the installation of the new serpentine power steering pump pulley. Those pictures also gave a glimpse of the misalignment of the PS pump with that of the water pump/crank/alternator. Spacers were needed – but how long should they be?? Without knowing that answer I could be cutting and filing for hours to get the correct length for the spacers. The simple approach was to use a stack of washers! They allowed an inexpensive, time considerate, variable method of determining the correct length.

Being somewhat anal I did use my dial caliper to measure and sort a stack of newly purchased washers to get two stacks within a few ten-thousands of one another. After fumbling with those loose washers while trying to bolt the alternator mount into place the “thought light-bulb” said, “why not use your newly developed Tig welding skills and weld the damned things together? Please note the carefully done weld job. No applause necessary (I did that myself). :D

This posting is going on too long. Sorry.

Made three stacks of washers and they worked. End of story … at least this part.

bro. d

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    DevilDeVille likes this.
  7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

MORE PICTURES LESS TALK

Attached Files:

DevilDeVille likes this.
  8. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    Looks just fine

9. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

great job.
    Hey what type of paint is that on the water pump? Looks textured. I like it. Do you have the right length serp belt?

10. 48Austin

48Austin Safty First! Then pull the trigger!

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
  11. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

Bro' D, you are constantly an inspiration! Someday I would like to finish my own project before my demise and drive it to meet you and appreciate your craftsmanship first hand. We have both been at our projects about the same length of time, but yours is of much better quality. Keep posting, because it gets me out and about now and then to work on my own. Thank you, Lou