Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

PJ,

I'd have to get drunk, or doubly drunk, to recall the order of those attempts at TIG welding.
    There is no rhyme or reason to the order as part of the problem was ANOTHER MISTAKE on my part. I had shifted from practicing on steel and tried my hand at aluminum - which in my limited experience - was actually easier than steel. In any event, I FORGOT to change the setting on my new welder back to DC rather than AC when returning to steel and that caused everything to go to hell in a hand basket!!

In the "for what its worth" department, I doubled down by investing (limited funds) in two new pieces of equipment: a drill press and the new welder. In both cases friends had lent me equipment which helped me understand the importance of having the right tools for the job. Considering the time, effort AND MONEY already invested in this damned car, it only made sense to do what was necessary to bring the project to completion. Besides, I really don't need my left nut, or my right one for that matter. :cry::cry:

bro. Sweet d

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    PJ McCoy, Red98422 and kzhurley like this.
  2. mario

mario Well-Known Member

"Besides, I really don't need my left nut, or my right one for that matter. :cry::cry:"

Bro d:
    I'll remember that next time you say "HI" to me in that coloratura soprano voice.....:whistle::whistle::whistle:
    Ciao,
    Mario

PJ McCoy and Darius like this.
  3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Coloratura? Who you callin' colored? :cautious: :D

4. mario

mario Well-Known Member

5. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I LOVES peace in da family.

Da Kingfish,

George Kingfish Stevens.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Here is the latest concerning my attempt to contact Sanden about their A/C compressors.

It has been now been 9 or 10 days, depending on how you count, but there has been Zero response to my inquiry. Just letting you know.
    d

7. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

8. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

This update goes back to a posting of mine done in April of this year (see above).

Over the past few days I've sourced some raw materials, along with store-bought components, with a thought toward redoing my transmission/transfer case mount; only now it isn't because of worries about strength, but about clearances.

The output yoke of the transfer case that faces forward to the front differential housing interferes with the trans mounts (pictures).

DSCN3691.JPG DSCN3716.JPG DSCN3727.JPG

With that reality it becomes necessary to think of other trans/TC mounting possibilities.

So today using some leftover material I tried my hand at fashioning different components.

DSCN3743.JPG DSCN3745.JPG DSCN3748.JPG DSCN3750.JPG DSCN3752.JPG DSCN3754.JPG DSCN3756.JPG

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  9. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

MORE PICTURES from today:

DSCN3757.JPG DSCN3759.JPG DSCN3760.JPG DSCN3762.JPG

That's enough for tonight. Some might think, more than enough!

bro. d

Red98422 likes this.
  10. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Darius
    Looking good! Glad to see some progress.

Richard richie49

PJ McCoy likes this.
  11. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    66 Cdv 500
    New tools are definitely the second best thing to spend my money on, Right after car parts of course :p

kzhurley likes this.
  12. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

On another thread Richie and I were talking about not receiving what it was that we ordered. For me it was a simple metric tap and die set ordered from Amazon. They kept sending the wrong item because apparently somewhere along the supply chain a worker slapped the wrong warehouse label on the package– which resulted in my receiving two SAE sets.

They were returned to Amazon and a new order, for the very same product, was bought from Home Depot Internet. It came, and it was the metric set.

Life is good.

Bro. d

Attached Files:

Red98422 and kzhurley like this.
  13. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Howdy Folks,

As some may have noticed I don't post much any more on this forum. There are two primary reasons:
    1) I miss so many of our former posters, those Caddy Brothers who are no longer here
    2) Certain physical limitations cause me to move slower in my build than I'd like

That said I do hope that the current owner(s) of this forum might reconsider their prior banishment policies and welcome back those well informed, experienced Caddy fanatics who have much to offer all who come here.

As for me, doctors tell me that yet another surgery is in order; one which according to them will have me offline for six months. My response to that news was, "will I be able to get down and up from a creeker" and the answer came back 'No."
    So, I'm trying to do as much as I can now, even though a final decision hasn't been made about moving forward with the surgery. That leads me to this question? Has any one on this forum had experience shortening a steering column - or do you know of anyone who offers that service?

These are not pictures of my project's "Steer-Clear" unit but it gives an idea of how the thing mounts. The problem is that my new, store bought steering column is too long - and it is the shortest, affordable one made.

A decision was also made to abandon my second try at a transmission/transfer case cross member. There was some downward flexing in the latest version when it was installed. Thinking it over, the two front engine mounts perch the entire weight of engine, 4L80E transmission and AWD transfer case on three little points - when you factor in that rear mount. Flexing won't do! Especially when you expect to have approximately 1100 HP and about 1200 pound feet of torque. Luckily, a solution has been found. It is a store bought unit made by "Code 504," a company which specializes in kits to mount vintage pickup trucks on S10 frames.

That's the news for now.

Best to you all,

bro. d
    Speedway Steering Offset 2.jpg STEER CLEAR CONNECTION TO COLUMN.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  14. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    I hate to hear that you will be out of commission. You are one of the few left posting on this place (even if you count JAMESHANKS). Keep us updated on your condition if possible.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  15. Caddylackn

Caddylackn Member

Bro. D,

I think it is time to treat yourself to a lift, I think you earned it. No need for a creeker. I recommend that you join a local car club or local forum, where you have a resource of able bodied young-uns that you can call on for an extra hand or back, or crawl under your car. Why would strangers help you? You have tools and welders and knowledge that they will want to borrow...or have you weld on their car projects. Of course we would help you, if we lived less than an hour away.

I don't see why you could not cut a center section of the 1" diam. steering shaft and weld it back together with a pipe sleeve for added safety, then trim the column housing end as needed. The steering wheel input shaft doesn't take a lot of force or torque input from the driver. This is not like an axle shaft which carries a lot of shear load and torque, so you can't cut out a section of the middle. If you cut a section out of the center of the steering shaft, then you don't have to re-thread and re-spline the ends. The housing will cover all your beautiful welds and the sleeve.

PJ McCoy, DevilDeVille and Darius like this.
  16. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

Offering prayers your way brother D
    PJ

17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Do it RIGHT – the first time!

I’ve posted before about how the small things often take the most time, or can be the most frustrating. Well, here is the latest installment of that principle. Happily this one didn’t get the best of me – as in causing me to swear or throw things!

Recently I posted about fabricating an idler pulley setup for my serpentine belt drive. But before making the mount for that idler I needed to install a serpentine pulley on the shaft of the power steering pump. The new pulley and necessary installation hardware had been bought about two years ago so all was in order to proceed – or so I thought.

I got everything ready -- cleaned and lubricated the pulley and shaft, heated the center hub, then while still warm, centered it onto the shaft and cranked it down with the new installation tool.

All was going so well that I paused just long enough to see that I had pressed the pulley on backwards! Yes, I had read the instruction, understood those instructions, but in my urgency to do the job I screwed up!

No swearing or throwing just some, “Darius, you stupid idiot.”

In case you haven’t given it some thought, its hard to remove a pulley with the parts used to pry it off now on the inboard side where you can’t get at them. The solution was to fabricate a custom “puller.” But that didn’t work. It only managed to break the plastic pulley apart, leaving the metal hub firmly half way down the shaft. A second custom tool did do the job! Its remarkable what a short piece of old angle iron can do.

Best,

bro. “learned that lesson” d

Attached Files:

18. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    Happens to the best of them

19. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

Man. I have it when that happens. You get all excited,then a hurry, then limp! No Mo' Go.
    Best PJ

20. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Limp? Yeah maybe. But with certain things I don't know how you even start to get it on backwards?? :confused:

Must be some kind of personal problem. :eek::devil::rolleyes:

bro. "normal" d

PJ McCoy likes this.