Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Bro d:
    Is that a big black knob in your hand? Or are you glad to see me???:devil::devil::devil::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Ciao,
    Mario

2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

BOTH!! :sneaky:

I got your note about not having room in that X-frame.

But if the direction you are going doesn't pan out you might want to consider a 4X4 version of the 4L80E. They are considerably shorter!!

bro. d

3. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Bro d:
    The length is not the trouble, it is the girth. If my interior was not finished, I would beat the trans tunnel into submission to fit it. Did you get my 2nd pm?
    Ciao,
    Mario

8ad-f85 likes this.
  4. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

D, that there's a pretty lookin' shifter! I'm pretty eager to see you posting videos of this thing tearing up the streets, I can only imagine how psyched you are! Hope all is well on your side of country.

-Nick

5. blue68deville

blue68deville Member

That does look slick! I like the right/left tip-tronic style of manu-matic shifters vs the fore/aft.

How fast will that trans shift electronically? That e-shift stuff has come a long way in the past 15 years.

6. blue68deville

blue68deville Member

Kinda like a tuna can o_O

PJ McCoy, 8ad-f85 and Darius like this.
  7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Bro. blue68deville,

LOL !!! YOU is a baad man! After soda cans and tuna cans, it is clear y'all are too much - and It only proves that the first liar doesn't stand a chance!

Now, about the speed of shifts: I called Baumann / USShift and asked them the question of "how quickly are shift completed? The answer came in two parts: 1st) the onset of the shift generally occurs in 2-3 tenths of a second. 2nd) the time to complete a shift depends on the line pressures called up and the condition of the internal components. That said, the completion should take an additional 2-4 tenths of a second. Combine the two numbers and you are Well Under any time I could effect manually - stick or auto. http://www.usshift.com/usq4.shtml?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr9mRgZjM2QIVhrrACh1OqwhzEAAYASACEgJ91_D_BwE

Best,

bro. d

8. blue68deville

blue68deville Member

That'll work, .4-.7 second is pretty quick. Sounds like fun!

Six years in the USN ruined me for life...

9. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Having been a civilian attached to USAF and USArmy I too have been corrupted.

d

PJ McCoy likes this.
  10. Sean

Sean Active Member

Cant wait to see you enjoying the fruits of labor poured into this Darius. This year:thumbup:

PJ McCoy and El Diablo like this.
  11. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

(Mental review for self)

This Studebaker project is the most extensive automotive “anything” I’ve ever done.

As though it wasn’t challenging enough to build a Cadillac 500 to handle the expected 1100-HP and 1200–lbs of torque, all of the other components had to be considered to support those numbers.

Transmission(s) (4L80E), AWD transfer case (NVG149), frame (4X4 S-10 pickup - BOXED), rear end (T-Bird 8.8 inch IRS), reworked Chevy IFS differential, ditch torsion-bars - add front coilovers, it's all core part to this build. Add to the list: twin fuel pumps (Holley 12-1800 Dominator), dash-10 Teflon lines (needed with the E-85 fuel). Tank (32 Gal. Cell), special sending unit, dash-10 return line, special stainless steel mesh fuel filters, 235 pounds per hour injectors. DANG! Talk about lots of details to keep in mind! Hope I haven't missed too much.

Hopefully, all of that STUFF is done (?) and it is now time for the hard parts! Got to figure how to get the front seats leveled in a floor that slopes away from center on both sides. Not sure if the stock Lexus RX300 center console, which came with the seats, will have enough room in the narrower Stude. Hmm.

Yesterday I removed the stock dash to allow an upgrade to modern gauges and wiring. Oh yeah, wiring! Can't worry about that just yet, the dash and gauges have priority.

The nice shinny picture, the one with modern round gauges, is what I’m trying to have mine resemble. The dash with old rectangular, hard to read, dual gauges must go, not only for looks but for functionality. If the hoped for (expected) performance levels are met,and maintained, must know what is actually taking place with that engine.

d

Attached Files:

12. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Oh Boy it wont be long now.

13. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

This coming week will be one of trial and error. Hopefully more trial than error - but we'll see.

Hotrodding is about learning and boy, do I have a lot of new learning to get under my belt.

GOAL FOR THE WEEK:

1) Install the new transfer case input gear that will allow the output shaft of the 4L80E transmission to intersect (sounds dirty) with the transfer case. I have the BFH and the acetylene torch so what else could be needed? With that done those two components can finally be bolted together which then allows the creation of a shared mount.

2) Install the Torsen limited slip into the IRS differential. A part of the swap will be the replacement of the stock cover with a much stronger cast unit which is designed to NOT break when the torque hits.

I'll take pictures.

Once again I find it amazing how well business must be going for aftermarket suppliers. Two companies which modify old speedometers, both with nicely designed websites, are making so much money that they don't even return your phone calls or answer your emails. Must be nice to be so independent - or maybe two weeks is just too little time for them to respond. Oh well.

d

8ad-f85 likes this.
  14. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Some of these manufacturers sure don't make it easy to buy their products!

15. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

I down loaded an app. Works for me.

16. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

BEAUTIFULL!!! Would love to see you launch it for the first time!

17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Its Friday and my two goals for the week have been met - kind of.

The AWD transfer case had the new input gear installed Tuesday night, along with a new internal oil pump cover. The change-over went much smoother than expected and parts only got dropped twice!

The NVG 149 single speed TC was clean as could be internally - except for the oil pickup which was loaded with the excess sealant used to mate the two case halves together. There was zero sign of wear! The chain looked new, while the all of the gears looked like they had been pulled from the parts shelves the day before. Nice!!

There are pictures coming but I'm waiting for the guy to send them to me. I stupidly left both my digital camera and cell phone at home.

Wednesday night was installation time for the Torsen limited slip differential but it was only partially completed. The "kit" with "all of the parts you'll ever need" forgot to include the half-shaft input bearings and the respective seals. Turns out that Ford has discontinued the seals but the bearings were available elsewhere in the state. They are slated to arrive Saturday morning. Luckily, NAPA had the seals.

So with one day remaining in the week (Saturday) the two goals may yet be met.

Best,

bro. d

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    PJ McCoy and 53 Studillac like this.
  18. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Bro d.
    Congrats on the completion of your goals. Very satisfying feeling. Got tires yet???
    Ciao,
    Mario

19. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

No tires yet but I met with the manager of the Discount Tire Store last Monday and luckily found him to be another gearhead! Shared with him about my project and he was good with the plans to have two different size tires mounted on two of the wheels for trial fit purposes. The question is one of fitment in the confines of the rear fender-wells. There isn't going to be much outboard room and the wheels are already offset 55 mm inboard.

With an IRS setup it isn't easy to narrow the rear axle width. Halfshafts would be easy but the A-arms would also need to be shortened or custom made. So, just as 'front to back' space in limited in the engine compartment due to the Big Caddy, 'side to side' space is going to be very tight in the rear.

I've been considering the BF Goodrich g-Force Comp 2 A/S Ultra High Performance units but the reviews are mixed about their noise and tread life. Sizes should be in the neighborhood of 245/45/ZR18 or 255/45/ZR18 giving about 10 inches of tread contact area per tire. With the AWD that will be 40 inches taking the power, which is about the max I can fit in there.

d

20. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

With the AWD that will be 40 inches taking the power, which is about the max I can fit in there.

Brother, we gotta talk.
    AWD-aka. All the Way Down,
    40 inches? With Power?
    Max to fit in there?
    She is like :oops:
    He is like :D
    Wow.

Lol.

8ad-f85 and Darius like this.