Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

You know it's expensive if it's that small and comes in a huge box.........

8ad-f85 likes this.
  2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

LOL You should have seen the BIGGER box that little box came in! It was nicely packed with care.

d

PJ McCoy likes this.
  3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Putting together something that never existed before is challenging and rewarding. It also carries with it an expectation that along the way changes will be normal. Few new things fit just as you thought they would. Some modifications will follow.

Going from the stock torsion bar front suspension of my 4X4 S10 frame to coilovers has turned out to be a far better approach; though my original plan was to MAKE those torsion bars work. A simple law of physics (the Pauli Exclusion Principle) says that two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time. I tried to get twin large-frame turbochargers to live in space occupied by a 4L80E transmission, a NPG149 transfer case, dual exhaust, two drive shafts, PLUS the anchor for those two torsion bars. That may have been the plan but it just wasn’t gonna happen.

Going to coilovers had very few problems in comparison. There was a bit of cost, and some minor frame interference (as you will see), but in the end this was the better answer. In the process, it saved close to 100lbs and provided an easy way to upgrade spring rates if necessary.

d
    COILOVER INTERFERENCE 1 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 2 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 3 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 4 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 5 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 6 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 7 - Modified.JPG COILOVER INTERFERENCE 8 - Modified.JPG

8ad-f85, PJ McCoy and kzhurley like this.
  4. nosgood

nosgood Member

Those are some shiny parts D! Looking good. I bet it will ride like it’s on rails.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  5. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Brother d:
    You sure have come a long way since the last time you were out here. Keep up the great work. It is worthy of our "hot rod heaven."
    Ciao,
    Mario

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Bro Mario,

That is FAR TOO kind. There is no way my efforts could be worthy of your "hot rod heaven." Remember, I've been to that 'promised land' and I have seeeen what true beauty and craftsmanship looks like. Still, I'll do the best this old charter member, of the Knights of the Mystic Sea, can do. ;)

bro. d

7. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

The elements that were cut out to allow clearance for the coil over shocks (see above), will be welded back in, just under the remaining bump stop contact area. I don't want the downward motion of the A-arms to damage the shocks, so the bump stops need to work.

Today was another milestone as I ordered the final big piece of the driveline puzzle. Many posts ago I debated whether to go with a divorced transfer case or to spend the bucks and go factory mounted. Since I've ready sprung for the 4X4, short output shaft 4L80E, and picked up the factory adapter, the remain piece was the custom modified input gear for the transfer case. Stock it is a 27 spline unit set up for the lesser transmissions. But there is enough meat to re-bore and re-spline it for the 32 splines and diameter of the larger transmission.

I had thought about brothering our Bro. Dwayne about possibly doing a CAD drawing for me, but given how little time he has when home to work on his own Studebaker project, decided to go another way. The part is ordered. AWD 149 input gear and 4L80e Short 4X4 output.jpg MODIFIED 32 SPLINE INPUTE GEAR - NVG 149 TRANSFER CASE.jpg 149 Transfer Case Input Gear Drawings.jpg

Lord willing, this project WILL be on the road this year!

bro. d

8. 53 Studillac

53 Studillac Active Member

Looking great! Considering the tolerances that we would have had to guess on, you are way ahead by buying the MW part. Prototypes cost $$! Glad to see things moving along.

Dwayne

9. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Just a point of clarification: while that drawing is from Mark Williams the input gear I'm going with is not. The "proposed" MW offering is part of a group buy which has been hanging fire for many months - partly due to it's very high cost.

My input gear is a proven modification of a stock gear. A fellow in Michigan has been making them for many years and they have held up to 1,500 HP in heavy trucks. Dwayne, you are correct that the tolerances are critical; and while drawings can be snack on the actual machine work makes or breaks the effort.

Best,

d

10. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

D thats really great to read your GOING TO HAVE IN ON THE ROAD THIS YEAR. Now if "Prophet Mario" would be so will to leave the promise land and bless the words spoken over you just now. You will be burning rubber headed east to meet me.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Boy I like looking at your JUNK. o_Oo_Oo_O hahahahaha. I will stop now.

11. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Say there, Sailor! You come here often? :sneaky:

d

12. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

O my...

13. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

WOW!!! Such an inspiration. Working hard on my own project, but it is so cool to see progress on yours!!! Very impressive!!!
    Lou

14. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Thanks Lou.

Right now is feels as though I'm in a race, a sprint, to get this thing done. I've kind of made the decision to take a portion of the insurance money from my car being totaled and apply a chunk of it to what is intended to become my daily driver anyway. If the object is to be in the car every day - why not fight to make it happen NOW?

To that end, the adapter to mate the AWD transfer case to the transmission (mentioned above) arrived by US Mail today!! Another major hurdle down.

Best,

d
    Adapter -149 NP TC to 4L80E -1.JPG Adapter -149 NP TC to 4L80E -2.JPG

15. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Lmao. Thats a great way to end that topic. Hahahaha.
    D. You are a trip Bro. Im still waiting on Mario to pop uo with something crazy too. Mario were you at? Lol

16. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Well D. Im not a sailor and ive not been there or even close it. Lol. Im perfectly fine with too. Hahahhaha. o_O

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Have a wonderful day.
    PJ

17. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Darius, seeing this type of build quality gives me hope that us caddy folk are still going strong... We have lost a few caddy freaks over the last couple years on this forum for various reasons.. Like ls engines,lack of aftermarket support,and some people just got over the interest..
    I'm somewhat the younger generation and I see a lot of people my age not interested in car stuff let alone even know what a cadillac engine is.. I work in a sheet metal fan shop with 100+ people and there 2 of us car guys.. The other guy is a few generations above me and is the one who got me hooked on big block cads.. He has passed on lots of info and parts on to me and I am grateful for that.. He is still playing with them also.. Im trying to talk him into efi..lol but he's not sold on it yet..
    I try to learn as much info as I can from you more experienced guys...
    I want to thank you and all the other guys on here I consider "the experts" for sharing the info and your experiences..
    Hope to learn and be inspired for years to come and hopefully pass some of it along to a few of my kids..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018 at 12:12 AM
    PJ McCoy likes this.