Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included!

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by Darius, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Short refresher:

This project is about 10 years old. It involves a 1950 Bullet nosed, 4-DR Studebaker which is now mounted on a 1985 Chevy S-10, 4X4 frame. The engine came from a 1975/76 Caddy 500 (can’t remember which). The transmission is a TH 4L80E overdrive unit. A Ford 8.8 independent rear end was lifted from a Super Coup Thunderbird. Final drive ratio is 3.08. Stock the ’50 Studebaker weighed 2730 pounds.

Major work has been underway on both the frame and the body. The steep curved rear floor beneath the back seat area required removal of the old and fabrication of a new replacement flat floor pan. The changes were necessitated by the choice of new seats. Both the front and rear seats are from a Lexus RX 300, the small SUV. The fronts fit perfectly but the rear floor slope didn’t allow placement of the rear seats.

To flatten the floor required that the frame be sectioned longitudinally and vertically. A pie slice was cut out of the side of the frame after which the top was hammered down and welded to lessen the kick-up for the rear axle. Doing that severely weakened the frame’s strength just as a C- notch would. Using what is done to strengthen a “notch” as the example bracing was fabricated on the bottom of the frame to add to the total cross section depth. The truss bracing is opposite what would be placed on top of a C –notched frame. In this case trusses with a connecting bridge were built on the bottom to support the now vertically thinner frame. At the center of the brace is a “C” arch which is made of ¼ inch material while the rest of the truss and boxing structure is in 3/16. The entire brace sits directly beneath the frame cut.

Attached Files:

2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Re: Showing you MY JUNK – Pictures Included! Been holding it

I can't seem to get the pictures to post in the correct order so I'll limit what is attached.

Here are the support trusses built to support the underside of the frame. This is the passenger's side before and after grinding.

Attached Files:

3. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Here is the underside of the new floor pan. The new floor is constructed of 18 gauge steel and is supported underneath by lengths of 1 1/4 angle iron spaced about six inches apart. The floor is solid. The change in the floor not only provided a flat surface for the rear seat but it also provided more space below for the twin rear mounted turbochargers which will reside in the area. The original upward sloping floor pan had deeply recessed elements which limited space for the turbos. The body is lifted from the frame here. Note the frame cut and support trusse.

Attached Files:

4. MTS Marty AKA Nashillac

MTS Marty AKA Nashillac New Member

Damn
    You're getting along with that metal work like you know what you are doing

Fuuny how these old cars have the same patina. Those fenders look a lot like the ones on the Nash when it was found

Keep up the work

5. shiftless

shiftless Active Member

Nice to see some progress on this project! :thumbup: :thumbup:

6. Sean

Sean Active Member

Keep going Darius. Can't wait to see you get this running

7. 59_limo

59_limo Member

Nice work! :D

8. Maddog

Maddog Active Member

man that looks nice Darius. Always wanted to see this turbocharged monster finished.

charles

9. Don

Don Active Member

Looking good Darius. Lexus seats and Twins, Yee Haw!

10. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

Darius,

You work on yours, I promise to work on mine. Deal?

Dave

11. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the kind words. The project has moved forward nicely but it has more to do with others than with me.

Dad died when I was young and with the girls gone it was just mom and me at home. There was a pattern that occured every year or two where I would find mom sitting or lying quietly and when I'd ask her what she was doing and the answer would come back, "There are some changes I want to make to the living room (or some other room) and I'm just giving it some thought.”
    A week or two would pass before mom would let me know, "Keep Saturday morning open. I'll need your help moving furniture around." Those few words hardly did justice to what was to take place. My dear mother would have thought out each and every move, their respective order and resulting consequence, before a stick of furniture was hoisted. Maybe a little of mom has rubbed off on me. I like to think it has.

All of the progress on the Studebaker project can be directly attributed to a small group of young men who have freely given of their time and talents. Four of them are brothers. Two others long time friends of the brothers. Basically they have spent weekends with a few week-nights thrown in propelling progress to new heights. To give you an idea of their commitment, three of the six live in town, two are over 4-hours away in St. George, Utah while one travels 260 miles from Rexburg, Idaho. What a marvelous example of people's goodness; and a testament that there is hope for this nation's future.

Illnesses over the past couple of years have slowed my direct efforts but the forced quiet time allowed me to follow my mom's example of thinking a job through before starting. The guys have done the rest.

Dave Brode, You've Got A Deal. Get Busy!

Oh, here are the Lexus seats ... front and rear.

d

Attached Files:

12. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

To Recap: The engine is setback quite a bit. About 2/3s of the length is behind the front axle centerline. That was necessary to clear the front drive components (AWD). A firewall recess was accomplished using an old Radio Flyer wagon laid side-ways that I bought at a Goodwill type store for $10.

This interior shot shows the need for a new transmission tunnel. The original manual three-speed was much smaller than the new GM 4L80E. Changing from the stock frame to the ’85 S-10 frame likely had an effect also. Still the engine is sitting as low as you can go – considering the front drivetrain.

A new transmission tunnel started out with a wire-frame made of welding rod tacked to a one-inch x one-inch structure. 18 gauge steel was added after it was heated over the propane space heater and then bent using the curvature of the large propane tank as the form.

Attached Files:

13. Sean

Sean Active Member

Kudos to the guys lending you a hand Darius. Great to see that. The one in the picture looks a little like Jessi James LOL. Do you have Jessi James helping you?

14. mario

mario Well-Known Member

my goodness darius:
    you have really moved along since we last met. i thank God for all my friends too, for without them i would still be looking at my project. albert's 49 is painted and not quite ready to be returned from the paint booth.
    the next time you're out here, you will be amazed at the progress on that 49. i will try to attach a few picts here.
    ciao bro,
    mario

Attached Files:

15. hertzdaddy

hertzdaddy Active Member

Illness sucks! I can't imagine how much fortitude it has taken you to stick to this.You and your friends are a great example of the human spirit.

Can't wait to see it done!

Rock on! :metal:

16. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Transmission Tunnel Continued:

Thanks again everyone for the support. It has been a long haul getting here which makes it especially nice to report progress on the Studebaker project. Like many of you across the country it certainly would be easier if the temperatures were warmer. Mario, I don't know what the weather is there in Middle-Earth California but it must be better than here for Albert to be painting that '49. Please tell him hello and congratulations. I do like that color!

Some things take longer to fabricate than you think they will and it has been that way with the transmission tunnel. The modification had to be made, due to the larger engine and transmission, but none of us had any experience building a new tunnel. Hello and thank you Google!!

We wanted to leave as much of the existing tunnel/floor-pan as possible hoping to eliminate a flexible-flyer floor once done. We therefore worked to merge the newly created portions of the tunnel with the rear portion of the existing one.

The first design used the 1”X1” tube as frame structure and it looked great but the design caused the entire front portion to be too high off the floor. The problem was the distance between the top of the 1”X and the sheet metal. Another problem with the first design was the sides stuck out laterally into the foot-wells too much.

After considering the options it was decided we’d be better off removing the 1”X 1” structure and replacing it with ½ inch .065 wall square tubing that was heated then bent to closely follow the top curvature of the sheet pieces. That change alone netted about a 2 inch drop in height.

Attached Files:

17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Here is the second design. First shot is of the bottom side while the tunnel is out on lunch break.
    Second view is of Steve the guy with the talent.
    Third shot is the new design where it is going to live.
    Final picture is the straight-on from the engine compartment. Note how the smaller ½ inch square tubing contours to match the sheet metal.

Things got tacked – and then finished welded. Overall height is now where it needs to be cosmetically while still allowing clearance for the transmission and a blanket.

Attached Files:

18. mario

mario Well-Known Member

Bro Darius:

Steve looks like he has welded before. Very good looking welds. Nice fab work. Very clean.
    It is very nice to have friends to help with the stress/work of our "fun projects." Average temp in gilroy the last two months has been 65/70. Glad you like the color. I'll pass along your regards. Get that thing done, we got a cruise to drive!!! lol lol lol
    Ciao,
    Mario

19. Mike P

Mike P Member

That is some nice fabrication ! :thumbup:

20. The Mad Cadder

The Mad Cadder Well-Known Member

Kinda looks like Jessi's sheet metal work too. :metal: