Running bad & lean

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by pila78, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member SUPPORTING MEMBER

Good lord even the alternator is painted!!!! :eek: :thumbup:

Wish I could be of help with the carb/ignition issues, but you have surpassed my knowledge by a fair margin. Hopefully some kind soul on this fourm can come up with the answers you need

2. peter phillips

peter phillips Active Member

Hey Bill. Well it was just a thought about the plug wires. I hate getting zapped.

3. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Bill is the fast idle cam lock working correctly? What is the fast idle rpm at currently? Im also thinking it might not be warmed up and maybe the rear vacuum break no holding the rear air door closed during cold weather conditions. Choke function working correctly?
    Please forgive me if all these have already been looked at. I am brainstorming with you.
    Runs fine in park in gear acts up? Acts up when there is load on the engine. butterfly/transfer slot correct? curb idle correct? is there nozzle drip when the car is in gear?
    hell IDK, maybe its just the "RED THING" under your hood, Just kidding!!;)
    PJ

Darius likes this.
  4. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

Like PJ said if the secondary lock out lever and cam aren't positioned right you have a very tiny 2 barrel carb

5. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

No problem with the lock-out or choke mechanisms. Since I keep driving it a bit, I have determined that some debris is under one of the power valve needle jets If I rev it a bit ( it revs up fine) which lets those needles come way up, the fuel seems to be passing through OK (?) Anyway, I'm gonna pull the carb again & check all the passages related to those needles & jets. When I had the carb apart a few weeks ago, I was only looking for crap in the bowl etc, and didn't blow all the passages out like I should have :thumbdown::(o_O

6. Cad Man

Cad Man Active Member

Bill

Why not just try the other carb

PJ McCoy likes this.
  7. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Bill, is this the same carb that plaqued you in the past? If so maybe you can send it off or like Mad said, try another carb. My holley works get. Not the best for fuel mileage but it's fun.
    PJ

8. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have a 750 Holley on the 408 SBC in my Malibu ...runs great, but like you said, it loves fuel !! I'll figure this out eventually, even if it take hauling that carb off a few times ! I don;t like giving up ! The engine ran OK last winter and Spring. Just started raising hell this past summer !!

9. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, there's a '76 Eldo carb on Ebay. It has a different p/n, like 6250 instead of 6230 like mine. It looks rough, though...

10. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Bill, the amount of gas that the Holly uses in a year over the amount gas "saved" from the Qjet wont be that noticeable within a year. Your not drag racing it. I bet you've already spent more money in your time and parts trying to get the QJet going. If you are drag racing that car on the streets, Then Good for you. You make me happy, Which of course you would need that Holley!

With all that said, I get the feeling that I am like you, Always need something to "tinker" with. Which means that car is PERFECT!
    PJ

11. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

Today, I removed the carb (again) and have it apart on the bench. I noticed a bit of sand type debris in the float bowl. My filter is an after market type, that has just a screen in it. Not sure that the sand/grit stuff could affect the way it runs, but I bought an OEM type paper inlet filter I ordered some gaskets and a new inlet fitting from Q-jet Parts.com The inlet fitting has some surface rust in it. I could chuck it up & get it cleaned up in there, but elected to get a new one.. Something else is ailing this engine though. Feels like it's actually missing a cylinder at idle (?) Weird.. Anyway, one disaster at a time !!;)

12. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

I Have the carb back on, after an extensive inspection & cleaning........it still runs like shit. Idles good though !!;) I have to think that the fuel level in the bowl isn't where it belongs. And, the problem could still be something funky in the ignition, even though it revs fine if the rpm is high enough to clear itself...
    The missing & roughness starts immediately off idle. Pump squirter make a decent shot of fuel... More fun to come I guess....

13. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

I believe my next move is removing the hoses on the fuel line, front & rear, blowing out the line, and replacing the hoses. Have to eliminate any any source for the problem, so the fuel supply is next..

14. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Bill What size rods and jets are you using? Mine are Jets 70 rods 40
    Ive upgraded the jets to 72 with 40 rods, will give me better full throttle but might be a bit rich on the cruise side. According to Lars paper My engine would do well with 72 jets and 44 rods, Giving me close to the same cruise ratio as stock but 10% increase in total fuel at WOT.
    PJ

15. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

I guess I don't know much about what the hell is going on with this engine. This evening, I had to go for an IV at the hospital ( twice a day for a kidney infection) and on the way there it acted up a bit as usual.
    On the way home, it came on without any burping, backfires etc at all ! Have to see how it acts tomorrow when I go in for another IV. When I assembled the carb this time, I used an OEM paper filter in the carb inlet fitting, to catch the fine stuff I found in the bowl this time.

In other things, I bought another Q-jet carb off of Ebay, for #39.95 ...shipped ! It arrived today. It's supposedly for a '76 Eldo engine. (?) but it's similar to the one I'm using... Not gonna fool with it until the current problem goes away...

PJ...the needles & jets are from a so-called tuning kit from Cadco. I didn't check the P/Ns on them yet...

16. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Sounds like rusty tank or lines. If it went from bad to good then back to bad. I would also check the tank and lines. One a different note.
    Your in my thoughts and prayers for the kidney issue.
    PJ

17. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member SUPPORTING MEMBER

PJ McCoy likes this.
  18. pila78

pila78 Well-Known Member

This morning the engine ran OK, and even laid some rubber when I leaned on it a little.. It does have a miss I believe, which makes it idle strange. It never quits at idle, but shakes evenly, like one cyl isn't working. Have to get into that problem next.. Can't feel the "miss" above idle RPM though...

PJ...the tank and lines are new, from when I did the body-off resto a few years ago...

19. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Gotcha! I had forgotten about that Bill.