Road Kill Gremlin/500

robocop

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1987 Cutlass Supreme 2 door with 500 Cad/Turbo 40
Freiburger has revived the 500 Cad powered Gremlin. They put in a new engine which failed. They repaired it but ran out of time before we saw what it was capable of doing.
I will say it was inspiring to hear a Cadillac running at full throttle, even for a moment.

Darius

Reaction score
Ditto on seeing and hearing the Big Caddy run!

But what does that guy have against doing a job right? Damn!

richie49

Reaction score
I think you have to have drama to get better ratings!:whistle: and it allows another show down the road.

Richard richie49

Red98422

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
That’s an old episode, the new engine came straight from CadCo. Just got screwed with a faulty lifter, not really anything they did personally.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Apparently every TV host has something against doing a Caddy build up right.

Richard Holdner got that old Gremlin engine from Freiburger , which then CadCo rebuilt and Richard dyno'd it. Then Richard turbo'd it and screwed it up and blew the head gasket catastrophically on the dyno. Then he left coolant in the cylinders and stored it, so it needs rebuilt again.

Then those guys on Power Nation were building a cad motor for nitrous and putting it in a hearse, then never aired the episode of what happened. I assume they blew that motor.

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I'd say that the number one reason for blowing these engines up is skimping on the valve springs............................which leads to lots of other bad stuff. That is very likely the limiting factor on lots of different engine brands. The most adequate valve springs on earth for a street/strip engine don't cost more than a couple of hundred dollars. They just aren't a glorious engine part and people just aren't going to spend coin on them..

Red98422

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
Apparently every TV host has something against doing a Caddy build up right.

Richard Holdner got that old Gremlin engine from Freiburger , which then CadCo rebuilt and Richard dyno'd it. Then Richard turbo'd it and screwed it up and blew the head gasket catastrophically on the dyno. Then he left coolant in the cylinders and stored it, so it needs rebuilt again.

Then those guys on Power Nation were building a cad motor for nitrous and putting it in a hearse, then never aired the episode of what happened. I assume they blew that motor.
The turbo deal was messed up, too small of a housing, plus an iffy distributor was bound to go down that way.

not to sure about the power nation folks, but tuned out after I heard them using 425 heads on that combo.

Red98422

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
I'd say that the number one reason for blowing these engines up is skimping on the valve springs............................which leads to lots of other bad stuff. That is very likely the limiting factor on lots of different engine brands. The most adequate valve springs on earth for a street/strip engine don't cost more than a couple of hundred dollars. They just aren't a glorious engine part and people just aren't going to spend coin on them..
This time around that wasn’t the case, the entire engine build was done by CadCo. Once they discovered the messed up pushrods and lifters they even pulled the springs and checked the pressure at installed and .500 lift.

Not saying the guys are without fault, but they appeared to be trying to do the right things given the time constraints

sadly I haven’t seen the caddy gremi reappear yet and it’s been a couple of seasons.

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
That thing made 258 hp and 323 lb-ft of torque??? What the actual hell??

5one9

Reaction score
Sad attempt. Sounds like crap. Runs worse. And it’s claimed to be the world record holder.

Are you gonna take it down?

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Horse power and torque readings at the rear? Sounds like POOP! DOUBLE :crap: :crap: ! Sorry, :crap::crap::crap::crap::crap:!

5one9

Reaction score
My naturally aspirated, 20+mpg, daily driven, high mileage, 370 cubic inch, handles like it's on rails, 7.86@87mph, 4500lb hearse wannabe put down 461hp/428tq at the rear wheels.
1624925467610.png