Richard Holdener is gonna boost a Cadillac 500

Darius

Reaction score
What about timing marks? Blower pully? Didn't CadCo offer a SFI one piece unit at one time?
Timing tab is on the front cover and the timing mark (notch) is on the pulley, not the damper.

You can bolt the pulley directly to the hub, eliminating the damper and still have what you need.

bro. d

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 6

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Sounds good to me. CadCo makes a steel billet hub, which should handle handle the huffy puffy. The thing is, it look you are showing the SFI balancer.

Darius

Reaction score
What about timing marks? Blower pully? Didn't CadCo offer a SFI one piece unit at one time?
The time tab is on the front cover and the timing mark is on the pulley, not the damper.

You can bolt the pulley directly to the hub and not utilize a damper.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.JPG
    IMG_0471.JPG
    363.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    276.6 KB · Views: 4

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
What is that dampener out of? Is there a direct swap that isn't $600?

Darius

Reaction score
If you’re asking about the damper pictured above, that would be my project engine. I pulled it from a 1975 Eldorado. The damper was stock on that engine.

bro. d

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Ahh, and I assume that is just some timing tape or something on it?

Darius

Reaction score
Correct.

As you know the “marked” degrees on a round object are determined by the diameter of that circle. Going on memory the diameter of the stock Cadillac pulley/damper is six inches - which corresponds to that of an Oldsmobile. Nobody lists a timing tape for Cadillac but they do for an Olds. Thus ....

bro. d

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
This is how I'm solving it. :)

Drew this up in Fusion360 and I'll cut it out on the plasma, cut the second power steering pulley off, and mounting it that way.

IMG_2993.png

IMG_6372.png

Darius

Reaction score
Looks good. I’m too lazy to count, so how many teeth?

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Fresh video:

I'll save you 5 minutes - it was a head gasket on each side.

He is going to put it back together, slap a nitrous kit on it, do some pulls with it, then auction it off. You guys might want to get in on that if it goes cheap.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Fresh video:

I'll save you 5 minutes - it was a head gasket on each side.

He is going to put it back together, slap a nitrous kit on it, do some pulls with it, then auction it off. You guys might want to get in on that if it goes cheap.
He put that away in storage with water still in the cylinders, I will wait until I see how the rusty cylinders clean up before I place my bid :laugh:

5one9

Reaction score
He put that away in storage with water still in the cylinders, I will wait until I see how the rusty cylinders clean up before I place my bid :laugh:
He's talking about disassembling and maybe boring it. BS. If I were him I'd wipe out the worst with WD40, replace the head gaskets, oil up the cylinders and fire it up. The rings will do the rest. He obviously doesn't care about it and is giving up on it. He used the Corteco 'black' head gaskets which are supposed to be the best. He should have put head studs on it at a minimum knowing that it only had 4 bolts per cylinder spread around a large bore. The fact that those gaskets shoved out like they did screams lack of clamping force along with obvious detonation. He could have spent less than 100 extra dollars and put the cheapest copper head gaskets on it at $60 each instead of the Cortecos and lived with the water leakage and at least showed people what was going to break on the engine. Half assed attempt at best and disappointing. The head gaskets won't hold on nitrous either unless he does something different, but maybe it will at least break the weak link this time.

Darius

Reaction score
Anyone know which components (head gaskets, clamping hardware) were used on the land speed record engine?

5one9

Reaction score
Anyone know which components (head gaskets, clamping hardware) were used on the land speed record engine?

No idea, but I can tell you that I am glad I have copper and o-rings on the Malibu. The ‘57? Now I’m a little concerned. I’d pay good money for MLS.

Red98422

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
No idea, but I can tell you that I am glad I have copper and o-rings on the Malibu. The ‘57? Now I’m a little concerned. I’d pay good money for MLS.
I heard a rumor that there is a company that makes some MLS gaskets for our engines...I’ll have to do some digging

5one9

Reaction score
I heard a rumor that there is a company that makes some MLS gaskets for our engines...I’ll have to do some digging

I don’t think so but this is one time that I would love to be proven wrong.

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
I'm keenly interested in those MLS gaskets as well! My searches have not netted me anything useful yet though. The Facebook group (I actually logged into Facebook to see) talked a few times about Cometic possibly making some if they could get enough orders but nobody revealed what that order size would look like. Courtney is apparently anti-MLS gasket because he'd rather something else gave up before the expensive parts of the motor so there is that to think about too.