Richard Holdener is gonna boost a Cadillac 500

Caddylackn

Reaction score
I must have a super a-typical wife too then. She's totally supportive of most of my really dumb ideas as long as they make me happy but she is absolutely tired of hearing me talk about Richard Holdender this week.
I had a "typical" wife, that is why I am not married now. I had 5 Cadillacs when I met her, and only 1 when we split. Another year married, that one would have been gone too. Kudos to you gents that found the good ones. My friend still kids me about "He had a 100-foot of Cadillacs when I met him, and only 20-feet when he got divorced"

There are known oil problems on the older '68 - '69 472 blocks with the small oil passages. This is no ghost. There are also known problems with steady oil pressure drop with extended driving long periods above 3,000 rpms.

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Of, come on now! Certainly you aren't going to settle for that modest amount of boost with it's very respectable, YET less than could be, power level, are you?

bro. "Stirring up trouble," d

That modest, but respectable head is just about on the money. F1A would certainly put it over the right over the top...……………………..for another $900...……….

I've always fancied that I had between 550 and 575hp.

500hp + 9psi = 806hp
525...………………..847hp
550...………………..887hp
575...………………..927hp
600...………………..967hp

550hp + 10psi = 924hp
……………..11psi = 962hp
……………..12psi = 999hp
575hp + 10psi = 966hp
……………..11psi = 1005hp

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
66 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Duplex
When you're that close, you know you're going to want to turn up the boost just to get that comma. Such a nice round number.

5one9

Reaction score

5one9

Reaction score
This thing is nearly identical to mine. I replaced one piston and rod just as he did. Stock bolts in the rods. 552 heads. No port work on his. 393hp/545tq and they revved it to 4700 on the stock rockers. Totally cool.

5one9

Reaction score
One thing that I notice about Richard's engine is that it had new locks and retainers. I already had bought a set of Cad500 Stage 1 springs but since it was a budget build I was reusing the stock retainers and a set of SBC machined locks that I had laying around.

The SBC locks seem to fit correctly in the stock retainers, does someone here know any different?

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
This confirmed it. I must be senile or crazy. 500, blower and looking into a 4speed! For a 2200lb car. :oops:! Almost forgot 90" wheel baseo_O.

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
I kind of wish they provided details on how they cut the valve guides. I.e. How much the took off the top, any changes to OD or the taper on top, changes to the spring seats, etc. Also would be interested in more info on valve springs, retainers, etc. I know SBC springs are a pretty close fit, but specific part numbers would be helpful. I know I can just write a check to CadCo or Cadillac Performance, but I would like to know how/why it works and what I'm actually getting for my money...

5one9

Reaction score
After measuring and installing the SBC locks, they're the same. I'll change those out with stock retainers and his Stage 1 springs. I'm also dropping $95 on a new seal cutter as my old one has come up missing since I moved. I'm going down about 0.100".

5one9

Reaction score
This confirmed it. I must be senile or crazy. 500, blower and looking into a 4speed! For a 2200lb car. :oops:! Almost forgot 90" wheel baseo_O.

I second that motion.

Darius

Reaction score
I kind of wish they provided details on how they cut the valve guides. I.e. How much the took off the top, any changes to OD or the taper on top, changes to the spring seats, etc. Also would be interested in more info on valve springs, retainers, etc. I know SBC springs are a pretty close fit, but specific part numbers would be helpful. I know I can just write a check to CadCo or Cadillac Performance, but I would like to know how/why it works and what I'm actually getting for my money...

PSYKO,

This may be of some help.

bro. d

Maximum Torque Specialties
13641 John Glenn Rd #B
Apple Valley, CA 92308
(760) 247-2533

CADILLAC PERFORMANCE CAM AND SPRING KIT INSTALLATION

THE LIFE OF YOUR CAMSHAFT AND ENGINE ARE AT STAKE – TAKE THE TIME TO READ ALL OF THIS!

STREET/STRIP (S/S) SPRING KITS

S/S spring kits are installed on any Cadillac 425/472/500cid cylinder head with a minimal amount of valve guide machine work.
Valve guide height will need to be machined down. You must maintain .750” clearance from the bottom of the spring retainer to the top of the valve guide. Assemble a retainer and lock on a valve with out a spring. Pull the valve and retainer full up (closed valve) and measure clearance from bottom of retainer to top of valve guide. Machine away required material to obtain .750” clearance. S/S spring kits will provide excellent service for heavy-duty street and high performance use.

5one9

Reaction score
Good info Darius.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
PSYKO,

This may be of some help.

bro. d

Maximum Torque Specialties
13641 John Glenn Rd #B
Apple Valley, CA 92308
(760) 247-2533

CADILLAC PERFORMANCE CAM AND SPRING KIT INSTALLATION

THE LIFE OF YOUR CAMSHAFT AND ENGINE ARE AT STAKE – TAKE THE TIME TO READ ALL OF THIS!

STREET/STRIP (S/S) SPRING KITS

S/S spring kits are installed on any Cadillac 425/472/500cid cylinder head with a minimal amount of valve guide machine work.
Valve guide height will need to be machined down. You must maintain .750” clearance from the bottom of the spring retainer to the top of the valve guide. Assemble a retainer and lock on a valve with out a spring. Pull the valve and retainer full up (closed valve) and measure clearance from bottom of retainer to top of valve guide. Machine away required material to obtain .750” clearance. S/S spring kits will provide excellent service for heavy-duty street and high performance use.
OK, I am going to blow your minds!!! I went to Lowes, purchased some large brass fittings with a but and separate barb that when tight would seal the 2 pieces. I Shimmed the bottom of the brass nut fittings until the flat part of the brass but was at my scribed lines. Then took out my grinder with coarse flap wheel and ground away. The machine shop did tapper them for umbrella seals and the cost would have been the same due to already having the scribe marks on the guild so I just wasted a bunch of time. BUT You can do that part at home if you and some way to bevel the top of the guild for the valve.
PJ

5one9

Reaction score
OK, I am going to blow your minds!!! I went to Lowes, purchased some large brass fittings with a but and separate barb that when tight would seal the 2 pieces. I Shimmed the bottom of the brass nut fittings until the flat part of the brass but was at my scribed lines. Then took out my grinder with coarse flap wheel and ground away. The machine shop did tapper them for umbrella seals and the cost would have been the same due to already having the scribe marks on the guild so I just wasted a bunch of time. BUT You can do that part at home if you and some way to bevel the top of the guild for the valve.
PJ

A cheap cartridge reloading chamfer tool will do this well.

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
So just kind of figuring things out as I go... Looks like if I convert to the "umbrella" type valve seals, I just need to machine down the OD of the guides after cutting them down to height, right? Looking to do a cam swap down the road (looking for low/midrange power bump and a slightly rowdy but still streetable idle,) so I'm thinking that when I have the motor apart for the cam swap I'll pull the heads and disassemble them to cut the guides, machine for umbrella seals, and swap springs (SBC springs with stock retainers and locks?) and maybe do some mild port work with a die grinder and carbide burr. Nothing crazy, since it's still an otherwise stock 10:1 500, and rpm-limited due to stock rods and rockers. Would cutting the guides be something I could reasonably accomplish in my home garage or would I be better off to hire it out to a machine shop? Once the heads are done I'd install the new cam, lifters, and timing set.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Psko,
Yes you could, just make sure your scribe marks are accurate. You could get those carbide cutting tool, 11/32 I believe is the thickness of the valve stem. I should have bought the tool.
The porting is fun but make sure you have quality bits. My first set was China junk, they looks pro as hell. But after about 1/2 of steady use, they chipped off everywhere.
Then I ordered 2 double cut burrs. One pine cone shaped and one round for the corners. $110. Damn! but I still have them and they are still in great shape. So, I hope this helps. If you ever think you might ever port anything again, go for the quality.
Keep us posted. We are here for you and so a fair job of encouraging others when stuff happens.
PJ

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks PJ! So the finished height isn't dimension-critical, so long as there's at least .750 clearance between the seal and retainer, right? Since I don't have a Bridgeport in my garage (yet,) I'm thinking cut off disc to hack the tops off, surface the top with a flap wheel to final height, and then use a Comp valve guide cutter to cut for umbrella seals. And I'm definitely no stranger to the price of quality tools, about half of my hand tools are Snap On (all bought used on ebay for pennies on the dollar, the truck prices are insane.) Buy once, cry once.