Richard Holdener is gonna boost a Cadillac 500

Darius

Reaction score
PJ

I think you have gotten a wrong understanding about the relationship of boost pressure and piston speed. They are not directly related.

You are correct that piston speed puts high dynamic loads on an engine; in particular the pistons, rings, wrist pins, connecting rods, bearings and crank.
However, if effective cylinder pressure is increased byway of forced induction that increased pressure would result in far greater torque - BUT piston speed (dynamic forces) would be the same as normally aspirated piston speed. NOW, there would be increased compressive forces from that boost but the overall stress on the engine components would be less

Years ago I read a report created by engineers for the Schweitzer Turbocharger Co. They are the folks who made the first commercial turbos.
I still have their chart which showed the relative stresses placed on an engine making a chosen level of power - both by high RPM NA, contrasted with the same power being made at a lower RPM with boost. Results: less stress.

My engine’s camshaft is one of Marty’s MTS # 10. The specs show it good to around 4800 RPM. I chose that cam specifically to avoid stressing the engine with high RPM dynamic forces. But limiting RPM has nothing to do how much boost I can run.

I hope this is making some sense for you. If not we can go a different way with the ‘splain-nation

Best.

bro. d

Last edited:

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
PJ

I think you have gotten a wrong understanding about the relationship of boost pressure and piston speed. They are not directly related.

You are correct that piston speed puts high dynamic loads on an engine; in particular the pistons, rings, wrist pins, connecting rods, bearings and crank.
However, if effective cylinder pressure is increased byway of forced induction that increased pressure would result in far greater torque - BUT piston speed (dynamic forces) would be the same as normally aspirated piston speed. NOW, there would be increased compressive forces from that boost but the overall stress on the engine components would be less

Years ago I read a report created by engineers for the Schweitzer Turbocharger Co. They are the folks who made the first commercial turbos.
I still have their chart which showed the relative stresses placed on an engine making a chosen level of power - both by high RPM NA, contrasted with the same power being made at a lower RPM with boost. Results: less stress.

My engine’s camshaft is one of Marty’s MTS # 10. The specs show it good to around 4800 RPM. I chose that cam specifically to avoid stressing the engine with high RPM dynamic forces. But limiting RPM has nothing to do how much boost I can run.

I hope this is making some sense for you. If not we can go a different way with the ‘splain-nation

Best.

bro. d

I agree 100%

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
PJ

Best.

bro. d
Thanks for the clarification. Do I understand that? NOPE. Do I so Splainin? Abso-shuridily.
Either way, I am even more excited because of this new. Not being an engineer, and Just learning turbos. I love learning and I admit it when I am wrong or give bad info. Most here know me well enough that my intentions are good. Thanks for the correction. I will reach this out some more.

Darius

Reaction score
Okay Guys, it looks like the Richard Holdener / Big Block Cadillac tests are happening next week!!!

Also, take a gander at Mrs. Holdener. Lovely woman, and obviously a major support for her husband.

bro. d

Last edited:

5one9

Reaction score
I'd love to see him put at least 12psi on at least a 450hp engine.

5one9

Reaction score
I’m glad that he’s still going to boost his stock piston/rod engine setup

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
I’m glad that he’s still going to boost his stock piston/rod engine setup
Me too. I was bummed when he only had 16 mins of video this morning.
I hope we get to see the full video of the stock caddy under boost and not just a graph either numbers. I want to see everything, temps,oil psi, oil temps, air temps. All of it. I'm acting like a junkie at home and my wife gives me these very weird looks as I was watching this morning. I just smiled and she giggled. Fun times. She commented on how excited I was and said she hasn't seen me like this for a while. She was right. This has brought me back to dreaming again.
PJ

5one9

Reaction score
Today's video was the Courtney '75 engine. Headers, 0.485/216 cam, Edelbrock 2115, FE rocker setup, 399hp/552tq. Not bad at all in my opinion. If I end up right there I'll be happy.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Today's video was the Courtney '75 engine. Headers, 0.485/216 cam, Edelbrock 2115, FE rocker setup, 399hp/552tq. Not bad at all in my opinion. If I end up right there I'll be happy.
Yeah, I contacted Richard and asked if this motor was Courtney's test mule? If it is, that means its .060 over,flat top pistons, shaft rocker system, AND the oil pan and windage tray upgraded oil pump. That's worth about 15hp/22ft/lbs. Above stock. A few hrs later, to my amazement, Richard responds back. Yes it was his test mule and he was not aware of those mods until later. But was told basically stock.
Either way, those are impressive numbers with such a small cam. I think it was the ablititly to rev up past 4200 rpm to 5500 to get those numbers. Go back and look at the graph. He is over 5k. Can't do that on a stocker. Just can't, valve float!!

So the Questions we all should be thinking is How much does engines make? I mean, come on, that cam is tiny. This has really got me excited about the parts motor I have under the bench. I am itching to start porting those heads. I feel like I can better plan everything this time. Last time I was clueless. I did everything backwards and just by luck, it all worked. After seeing the HP graph today, I am sure 4-6 psi, yes you read that right, 4-6 psi will be plenty to reach 550hp/600ft/lbs and the engine live a long and healthy life. Still drive normal, not unlike brother D's car. 1,000hp STUDE'DEVILLE!! Man, I want to see a hidden camera in his car, I want him to be an Uber or Lift driver for a day, and just smash the Golden Pedal, The "I just shit my pants" look on the faces of those poor souls would be priceless. Sorry @Bro.D, I am a twisted soul sometimes. Lol.
Take care guys and keep smiling.
PJ

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
How is thishttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujBnJG-ZQQ&t=1s

5one9

Reaction score
Fixed your link

48Austin

Reaction score

5one9

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that he changed the cam and dropped the previous lifters right back in? I've done that before with very low mileage lifters. I would never suggest anyone else do it as I have magic oil that I use to keep it from wiping lobes. I'm just surprised that he let it be seen on video. Richard also jumbled up the pushrods when he pulled them. I'm sure that made someone discount his knowledge of engine building. I love it.

5one9

Reaction score

48Austin

Reaction score
Did anyone else notice that he changed the cam and dropped the previous lifters right back in? I've done that before with very low mileage lifters. I would never suggest anyone else do it as I have magic oil that I use to keep it from wiping lobes. I'm just surprised that he let it be seen on video. Richard also jumbled up the pushrods when he pulled them. I'm sure that made someone discount his knowledge of engine building. I love it.
Since Courtney was there, everything is good. He probably said to just slam it together.

5one9

Reaction score
Since Courtney was there, everything is good. He probably said to just slam it together.

I personally subscribe to that type of thinking.