Removing door trim... 71 - 73 De Ville.

godspeed409

Reaction score
Anyone know a good way to to remove the trim running down the side of car... the thin strip that runs from the middle of door to the reflector. Id like to keep from ruining it if possible.

STDog

Reaction score
Remove the nuts inside. You need to pull the door panel(s), rear side trim and trunk liner to reach them all.

Ask on the ModifiedCadillac forum (http://www.modifiedcadillac.org/forum) as I'm sure someone there has the body manual for those years. They can probably give the number of nuts you'll need to remove and other tips.

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
On the doors there are screws on both ends that you get to from the door jams.  In the middle there are either push in metal clips (71-72, pain in the butt) or plastic clips 73, I don't think you have to pull the door panels.  To undo these you need a molding tool, looks like a 2 prong fork about a inch wide and allows you to pry.  Work from the bottom side of the molding and glently lift up to find the clip area, then using your tool, pry up until they pop loose.  You work from the bottom side because if you dent the molding at least you will not be able to see it from the top.

I have not done the rear quarter on the DeVille but there could be some T bolts in the front under the interior panels (Eldorado just have a bunch of clips here) and there will be some in the trunk under the trim.  The ones in the rear are pot metal and you need to be careful.  This may be broken before you even get to it, alot are.  Someone wanted rear moldings for a 74 and out of the five parts cars I have here, only one was good.

The 71-72 moldings are very thin and get bent alot, they are also more expensive to replace so be careful.  The 73 and newer moldings (at least on the Eldorado and I think Deville is the same) are wider and easier to take off.

I have a 71 Coupe DeVille parts car here if you need any parts when you are done.

TED

STDog

Reaction score
Ted in Olympia said:
On the doors there are screws on both ends that you get to from the door jams.  In the middle there are either push in metal clips (71-72, pain in the butt) or plastic clips 73, I don't think you have to pull the door panels.

So they aren't the plastic slide clips like my '70 has? It has the same style on the top molding too. You slide them one way and they will lift off the stud on the body.
10318.gif

I needed to pull the rear interior parts to reach the forward nut, and there were 2 or 3 nuts behind the trunk liner.
I thought I needed to pull the door panel to reach one of the nuts for the door trim too.

I figured the '71-73 would be similar.

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
Well maybe I should not have replied, most of mine experience is with Eldorado.  The clips you have pictured is what holds on the door moldings on the 73-78 but the 71-72 has the steel clips that go through a hole, very poor design.  Don't really know where the screws are either.

TED

STDog

Reaction score
Ted in Olympia said:
Well maybe I should not have replied, most of mine experience is with Eldorado.

Since my experience is mostly the '69 and '70 deVille I'm not much better off than you.

The clips you have pictured is what holds on the door moldings on the 73-78 but the 71-72 has the steel clips that go through a hole, very poor design.

I pulled out my body manual and I was partly wrong. The door and front fender used that style (manual calls them bathtub clips),
But shows the push in clips for the rear quarter (cannot find a picture online)

I'll try to get down the road and look at the in-laws '72 coupe deVille.

godspeed409

Reaction score
Really appreciate the help guys...

Ted, i need a drivers side door pull strap... Got one?

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
I finally found the book, looks just like the 66 Ford one so I didnt notice it till I saw the ford one on the floor and didnt think I had 2 of em.....

The 73 body manual Id's that part for a Cadillac C body as 157G.  The G style fastener is defined as a 'weld stud or screw retained plastic clip'  It looks just like the picture STDog posted above.  The manual does not say how to remove them or what the tool looks like.  They just say that the stud can be drilled out and replaced with a screw.

STDog

Reaction score
TJ,
Did it show the same clips for the front door, rear door and quarter trim?

Like I said, the '70 body manual shows a different style (like the one Ted mentioned) for the rear quarter.
I cannot get the the scanner or camera right now to get a pic of that clip, but it'll just pull out using a trim/weather strip tool (flat blade with a notch).

The 157G clip you need a hook to reach up under the trim and slide the plastic piece to the other end (about 1/4") where it'll slide over the stud.

73eldoconvert

Reaction score
Front door (or 2 door) 80GM
Rear door 100GM
Rear quarter 157G
Last little bit of rear quarter after the reflector 158C

The numbers are just listed as 'key' numbers for a chart that has a 'molding names' ,they do not appear to have anything to do with part numbers or quantity.

C looks to be a flat tab bent off the molding that sticks through a hole and is held with a nut from the inside.
G we covered.
M is a T nut sort of thing that fits in the ends of the molding and is held by a screw from the inside.

So it looks like GM style uses the t nuts on the ends and the plastic t studs in the middle, fits what Ted was saying.

godspeed409

Reaction score
Ted, Its a coupe, not real worried with the color, i need the metal strip that bolts to the door(inside the pull strap), i can slide my cover over the metal strip.  Its a 1972.

Did this today (Weather has been terrible) 

the front quarter are mainly the plastic clips with ONE metal push though mount in the middle, it must be accessed from under the hood.

The doors need to have the one bolt and phillips off each end and you can slide the trim off the plastic clips in the middle.

The rear quarters, pull the reflectors out of the rear, and in the trunk, under a support brace there is a hidden screw that is in the middle of the rear quarter trim. I couldnt figure this out till after i bent one of my rear trim peices..  then slide it off. Im really reconsidering putting the trim back on... i like the smooth look without it, just have to fill in the reflector area.

Thanks guys.

Johnnyracer

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
El Dorado
What year, what color, Coupe or sedan?

TED
So I have a 73 El Dorado convertible that needs all new trim exterior from headlight bezels to the window belt moldings can someone point me in the right direction please

Caddylackn

Reaction score
These things like the door and fender trim and chrome trim rings have become really hard to find, I do not think any reproductions are made. You can pay an expert to straighten and polish out your original trim. This is what most restorers do if they have their original pieces.

There is Ebay and Cadillac only junkyards for finding missing original pieces. These items go for a premium. I would expect to pay $100 per piece shipped if it is in good shape. The window belt moldings are easier to find, since these tend to survive fender benders.

I would consider buying a part car just for the trim. By the time you pay $1000 for these used trim pieces at a specialty junkyard shipped to you could buy a part car and get many other spare parts from it.

Sometimes there are missing pieces of the trim in the trunk to be found under all the junk that usually comes with buying a used car that has been sitting.

I have been looking for two missing pieces of trim for my '61 for like 10 years ......