Possible problems running oversize valves, 472 peanut relief pistons, MTS #15, Potter rockers.

DevilDeVille

Reaction score
Installed height measures approximately 49 mm or 1.929" so definitely not the springs supposed. No visible marks on pistons or valves, pressure not leaking. So, i guess, new pushrods in and let´s see what comes next.

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
A quick check would be to see if the valve seals are damaged on the affected cylinders. You should be able to see that between spring coils.

5one9

Reaction score
No marks on the pistons is a good start. Coil bind and guide clearance are about the only other things unless the pushrods were just that cheap.

DevilDeVille

Reaction score
Spring bind is not an issue, valve seals neither. Pushrod guide holes in heads are elongated to work flawlessly so it probably comes down to s.tty pushrods themselves. I use EMPI 00-4034-0 cut-to-length, initially made for vw aircooled contraptions. Package reads 3/8" CrMo and, of course, Made in China.

5one9

Reaction score
I wouldn’t go with less than 0.080” thick walls on the pushrods since they are so long

5one9

Reaction score
That description says "ball on one end". I'm assuming that is not what you want.
Other than that, anything 1 piece, chromoly, 0.080" wall, and 3/8" diameter will do. Shame you don't need 10.00" long, i'd set you up.

DevilDeVille

Reaction score
https://www.pushrods.net/product-page/381-series-9-to-10-inch-length

Ordered these, unfortunately they do not ship to Estonia so had to send the package to a friend in NC who will relay it to my location. Anyway, theres nowhere to hurry, since for the next few weeks in the November i´ll spend my time driving around CA, NV, AZ, CO, NM and whoknows where.

Last edited:

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan

DevilDeVille

Reaction score
If you have the time come on down to San Antonio Texas.
Greg Surfas
Sry, closest i got to San Antonio was PIMA in Tucson. This tour turned out to be: SanFrancisco - Truckee - South Lake Tahoe - Death Walley - Las Vegas - Hoover Dam - Grand Ganyon - Mesa Verde - Meteor Crater National Landmark - Phoenix - Tucson - Joshua Tree - LA - Carmel - Monterey - Muir Woods- Alcatraz - Palo Alto/Stansford. Maybe next time i manage to take the Gulf Coast (only been to New Orleans in that direction). Being busy driving from one location to the other was the main reason, i did not order anything, since one can nowadays never be shure, if it will arrive as promised or will be backorder. Ihave indication, that mu pushrods should be in customs now and hopefully we can put the car together soon. And no, we did not rev it past 7K, tach shows wrong numbers, since the HEI in the video was faulty/gave wrong impulse.

Darius

Reaction score
I love how smoothly that engine runs!

bro. d

cadillac512

Reaction score
Seriously....Am I the only one who shudders at the thought of holding an unloaded engine at wide open throttle and floating valves? If those springs were letting the valves float before, just wait 'til the twice as heavy new pushrods get in there. Wear your flak jacket!
It's sure a nice engine...be a shame to break it.

Terry

Last edited:

5one9

Reaction score
Those flimsy pushrods that he was using didn’t stand a chance at any rpm. I personally wouldn’t free rev any engine to max rpm for no reason.

Darius

Reaction score
Seriously....Am I the only one who shudders at the thought of holding an unloaded engine at wide open throttle and floating valves? If those springs were letting the valves float before, just wait 'til the twice as heavy new pushrods get in there. Wear your flak jacket!
It's sure a nice engine...be a shame to break it.

Terry
Nope. :eek:

bro. d

cadillac512

Reaction score
Hi, guys. Been fine...just check in here every now and then to see what the old HWC is up to. (Making Progress!) I'm foolishly fooling around with an old Mercury,a '41 Town Sedan to be exact, with a fresh very mildly warmed up (really!) flathead that I just fired up on a stand yesterday. Some of you young fellers might even remember those things.
Anyway, just had to comment on this thread...I'm afraid it'll end badly.
You guys keep misbehavin' now. I know you can!

Terry