Overdrive water pump

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I found my old pulley that had been missing. It measures 6-1/8”. I removed the small smog pulley from the rear of it. I got it installed which gains back the 1” of depth I lost using the Chevy pulley. I’ll move my manual fan back 1” and reinstall my 16” electric fan. I’ve been driving the car a lot and it comes close to 200f when 90+ outside and it’s in traffic. I’ll set the electric fan to come on at around 195f so it should never be on while driving.
DA85644E-C7AB-406E-960C-4C66AF02B3C7.jpeg

richie49

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that ! My project is kinda on hold. Your engine is a whole lot more engine than mine and most probably creating lots more heat. If you need the pulley I can send it back to you. Is the fan you are using a 6,7, or 8 blade and 15,16,17, or 18 inch diameter? I'm limited in diameter to 17 inchs. Any larger will hit the hood on mine. I did find a 7 blade 17 inch I am going to put on.
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that ! My project is kinda on hold. Your engine is a whole lot more engine than mine and most probably creating lots more heat. If you need the pulley I can send it back to you. Is the fan you are using a 6,7, or 8 blade and 15,16,17, or 18 inch diameter? I'm limited in diameter to 17 inchs. Any larger will hit the hood on mine. I did find a 7 blade 17 inch I am going to put on.
Richard richie49
no, I’m overly good on pulleys. It just runs hotter than I like when idling around. I was going to install A/C but I know that will only make things worse. I use an 18-3/8” plastic flex fan that pulls a ton of air and I’ll add the electric fan just for idling. If the things wants to run in the 190s I wonder if I’d be better off just running a 195f thermostat and letting it be controlled instead of finding its own happy spot and floating around. I think I’d be about as well off without a thermostat right now.

another thing is the engine bay is nowhere near the size of the original Caddy bays and there isn’t much of an evacuation route for the hot air. That’s to be expected when you stuff 500 inches into a space designed for 250 inches.

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Maybe you can trim the fender wells down some for more air movement? I have a little time today so I might get to do some on my corvair :oops: !
Good luck on your fans. Almost done on my corvair!! All I have left is the upper radiator mounts,Moving the fuel line,trans lines fan shroud ,boxing in the lower area of the radiator o_O:laugh::rofl:and thats what I remember!
Dang this hobby is fun
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
Opps I looked back over your build and you dont have fender wells.:lipsaresealed: Kindly disregard that part about fender wells.:rofl:

Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
Opps I looked back over your build and you dont have fender wells.:lipsaresealed: Kindly disregard that part about fender wells.:rofl:

Richard richie49
I do have inner fenders now.I’ll see what part of them can be trimmed

USSCADY

Reaction score
1975 Coupe DeVille
In the '70's there was company that actually made a kit to put the Cad and Olds engines in the Corvair, Don't remember the name. But they didn't have the overheating problems. Just interior heat problems. Remember a guy in the '80's who had an Olds 'Vair that ran 12'90's at Union Grove. With "Mr. Goodwrench" painted on it. Car went faster with street tires.
I worked for Bill Porterfield when owned Mid-engineering Out of Lansing, MI. They did these conversions but weren’t the only ones.

Darius

Reaction score
Porterfield Held some records with his Kelmark. Over 200 mph and over 1 g cornering
Howdy USSCADY,

I remember Bill Porterfield and seem to recall talking with him a time or two. Back in those days I was interested in what both Kelmark and Mid-Engineering had to offer. In fact I still have their slick sales and promotional materials. There were two fellows here in the SLC area with kits. One fitted the Olds toronado drivetrain into the rear of a Corvair, like Richie49's first version of his project, while the second vehicle was the Kelmark Toronado GT with the Olds big block complete with either Hilborn or Enderle mechanical port fuel injection.

Another well known modifier of Corvairs was Crown. They offered a true mid-engine V8 Vair using the 1966-69 stronger Saginaw Corvair transaxle fitted to the Chevy V8 of your choosing. Kelmark also offered a mid-mounted V8 Vair but with the transaxle positioned differently.

There were some fast, decent handling, homemade cars running around in those days. I'm happy to have had the chance to drive and play around with a couple of them.

bro. "living on memory lane," d

5one9

Reaction score
So I finally found something that works to my satisfaction. I have the 6-1/8" Cadillac water pump pulley installed. I moved the plastic flex fan away from the radiator and put the 16" Flexalite 3000CFM fan directly on the radiator. Driving along the car stays between 180F and 188F. When sitting still idling it creeps upward. I have the electric fan control set to come on at 205F and turn off at 190F. It was 90 degrees yesterday and the electric fan was able to cool it from 205F back to 190F in about 2 to 3 minutes. That is just the help that I was looking for. Now I can put the A/C parts on the car and cruise with less concern for stop and go traffic.

IMG_4505.jpg

richie49

Reaction score
5one9
What does the area around your radiator look like ? You have anyway the air can go thru the radiator fan and back to the front to have heated air back thru the radiator? The frame on mine is the same even thu the car itself isnt,:oops: The shape of my fenders and grill area is a lot smaller .Just trying to get all info I can to work with when I get to get back on my fussy ,murphy prone CARo_O:rofl: After looking at the specs on your car and engine I do believe my engine is basically a stocker compared to yours. Now mine (when it's running ) runs dang good.I can lite the tires for 40-50 feet on both tires (posi:cool:) (I have no traction:confused:). It's fun but traction ? thats a problem for later. So I can imagine what yours does! You know we need a video !:laugh: Video Video!
Richard richie49 P.S. have fun driving yours ,:)

5one9

Reaction score
My grille area is not big enough. I’ve considered adding a slot in the glass bumper to increase air flow. I even bought some nice honeycomb to cover the slot with. My inner fenders could be trimmed some at the rear for air to escape. My cowl hood is open in the back but I don’t know how that area acts during driving. I hear it’s a high pressure area. There is no way for hot air to get back in front of the radiator.

my engine was 540hp/625tq before. It’s over 550hp now but I don’t know how much over. I would guess 575.

USSCADY

Reaction score
1975 Coupe DeVille
Howdy USSCADY,

I remember Bill Porterfield and seem to recall talking with him a time or two. Back in those days I was interested in what both Kelmark and Mid-Engineering had to offer. In fact I still have their slick sales and promotional materials. There were two fellows here in the SLC area with kits. One fitted the Olds toronado drivetrain into the rear of a Corvair, like Richie49's first version of his project, while the second vehicle was the Kelmark Toronado GT with the Olds big block complete with either Hilborn or Enderle mechanical port fuel injection.

Another well known modifier of Corvairs was Crown. They offered a true mid-engine V8 Vair using the 1966-69 stronger Saginaw Corvair transaxle fitted to the Chevy V8 of your choosing. Kelmark also offered a mid-mounted V8 Vair but with the transaxle positioned differently.

There were some fast, decent handling, homemade cars running around in those days. I'm happy to have had the chance to drive and play around with a couple of them.

bro. "living on memory lane," d

Cool memories! Did you ever see his supercharged t-bucket pickup? Hex was in one of the Hennings magazines in the last few years, talking about his dragsters. He had 2 ZL-1 Camaros when I last saw him.

Darius

Reaction score
Cool memories! Did you ever see his supercharged t-bucket pickup? Hex was in one of the Hennings magazines in the last few years, talking about his dragsters. He had 2 ZL-1 Camaros when I last saw him.
Can't say that I did. Some memories stay while others take the long trip to ..... hell, I can't recall where they go. Oh well. :unsure:

bro. d