Other projects you're working on.

Discussion in 'Off Topic, B.S., Lounge' started by Sean, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Sean

Sean Active Member

I assume I'm not the only one with more than one (too many) projects going at a time. What else are you guys working on or fixing/rebuilding etc?

Currently focused on the Cadillac, but spending a little time on the previously mentioned Rustang II blow-through turbo. All other automotive projects are at a stand still for now.

Some old timers here may remember this car was my daily going back to school for several years. Stock 302, twin T3 turbos, home built carb.

[​IMG]

Haven't done much with it the last few years. Always wanted to make it a nicer car. So dove in over my head and stripped it for paint and got this far over the summer. Had help along the way, and will need more to finish it. Have I ever told anyone I hate to prep and paint?
    Biggest body mods is the marker light deletes and the flush style bumpers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

I like that ole car.

Not much caddy-wise here, although I finally have everything for my "new" turbo engine.

I've been sealing and improving insulation on my house. :banghead:

I did do a "rebuild" on my old 5x8" utility trailer [coal/stone/etc]. Pulled single axle, installed twins from a horse trailer, new floor, lights, paint. I promise to hook up the brakes after all this time.....

Dave

3. bugzaper

bugzaper Well-Known Member

Finally got the "63" Nova wagon running / driving. Had some time the other day and built this brace. Not much torque to worry about from the little "194" but, with the new tubular front end it did help with the creaks and stiffened up the top end.

[​IMG]

Also.

Hammered and bent the dents out of the front bumper and now have to find a good re-chroming shop.

[​IMG]

4. Mike P

Mike P Member

Neat to see another Mustang II. The daily driver my El Camino replaced was a 77 notch back with a 351W, OD 4 speed and 8” posi (it’s still around, just put away).

I’m currently working on my putting my 37 Dodge pickup together with an eye on doing a little nostalgia drag racing. I’m going thru mockup with it right now.

The engine is built and running, a 55 331(now out to 341) with the good triple 5 heads, some vintage Jahns pistons and an old Drag Star intake that I converted to Rochesters and progressive linkage.

[​IMG]

The rest of the drivetrain will be a 518 OD Torqueflight and Dana 60 with 4.56s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some of the mock up pictures (the dual quad motor that’s in it is just for mock up)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago we had to move it to the back shed for a little bit while I work on a customer’s car. My grandson volunteered to steer it while I pulled it with the garden tractor. He did pretty good for his first time......it took about 2 hours to get the grin off his face.

[​IMG]

5. 76FleetBrougham

76FleetBrougham Active Member

Well the cad sadly had taken priority over most everything else, so all my other projects are pretty much on hold.

Before i started this i was rebuilding my old 1982 Yamaha Vision (xz550). Had new camshafts made, i ported the heads, etc. Then ran into the problem of the cams not liking shim over bucket lifters (lobes too aggressive/flip the shims out when rotating it by hand), and i sort of quit after starting to rewire it. Right now it's in the back of the garage. Another project where there simply aren't any replacement parts, so it was just getting annoying. Never started it up after putting the cams in, but I'm not sure if i'll try to turn it into a weekend cafe racer at this point, or just junk it all together.
    old picture:
    [​IMG]

Can't find a picture right now, but i picked up a 95 miata last summer that i've been fixing up to flip this coming summer. It'll get a rustoleum paint job (so i can try it out/it's cheap). Fun car at first, but if i were to keep it, it'd be a dedicated track car. But i've decided my daily driver (2003 bmw 330ci) will get an LS swap in a few years and that'll be the track car :) looking forward to that. Need to finish all my other projects first, but i've slowly been planning it out the past year.

Most of my other free time has been brewing beer :) Here's from right before christmas, i use an old keg as a boil pot, and have all the other equipment to do full grain batches (Cliffnotes- start with grain, extract the sugars from it to make beer).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You do it in 5 gallon batches.
    [​IMG]
    On the left is a holiday chocolate stout, middle is a blonde rye ale, and the right is a super hoppy clone of Stone Brewing Co's Ruination (IPA)- But i added more hops and did a 90min boil on it to make it more bitter (think dogfish head 90min ipa). I think the whole process is pretty interesting, and i get very good quality beer for about the same price as a case of light american beer (bud-miller light). The only thing is a lot of people get very anal about specifics (temperatures, exact amounts of ingredients), whereas I see it the same as making soup so i wing it and play around. For the ruination, I had some left over honey laying around (2lbs or so) so i just threw it in because I could. We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks. I made a variant of Stone brewing's arrogant bastard last year that i was told was better than the original. I kind of remember what i did, but we'll see how it comes out again :)

6. SRB

SRB New Member

Found this in a shed in Pleasant Plains, IL in July. $500 Sat for the last 8 years. 1992 Stealth Twin Turbo. No rust or rot but many mice nests. Finally got the smell out by removing most of the interior. Got lucky, they didn't eat the leather. Extra short block came with, guy said original engine had bad rod. Got it running again and believe its a lifter oiling problem, smokes also. Going to pull and rebuild with forged crank and slugs. Haven't did anything cosmetically but wash it.

Attached Files:

7. Felis Concolor

Felis Concolor New Member

Psst! At that price, you have an excellent candidate for the 24 Hours of Lemons race series.

8. SRB

SRB New Member

Hey Felis
    Never heard of this race before but their web site is funnier than a monkey ******* a football. lol lol lol

I'd like to watch it sometime. Awesome. :thumbup:

As for this car competeing, something would leave the block if pushed hard right now. lol

9. Felis Concolor

I'm definitely making time to at least see June's race at High Plains Raceway, but depending on how much fun I have there I may end up driving to nearby states to watch the craziness there.

My favorite link on the front page is that one near the upper right hand corner. "It's not just for rich idiots. It's for all idiots." It's the only race series where you will hear the words Geo Storm, Chevy Chevette and Epic Battle combined in the same sentence. It's where the SBC's reliability is mercilessly debunked (if you push your vintage OHV Chevy past 4,000 rpm for very long, it rapidly overheats and starts breaking parts). It's where people sell off their vintage Model T bodies and use the money to shoehorn a mid-80s Mustang GT powertrain in the resulting bare frame. It's where someone says, "that old FIAT X-1/9 is far too reliable: let's fit it with an Alfa Romeo V6 and try to triple its base horsepower."

While anyone can prep a low-buck BMW E30 or Mazda Miata chassis and go for the overall win it's far more fun to see what sorts of vehicles show up which have deservedly bad reputations for reliability and performance and attempt to duke it out on the track. It's the Index of Effluency (IOE) which is the coveted prize among participants of this crap can racing series. While it's only the $500 price paid which triggered my Lemons suggestion (and that red slipper looks too pretty to convert into a racer at this time), I'm certain most of this forum's denizens can cobble together something workable out of what they have lying around that would make it past the judges' BS detectors.

A few choice snippets from the articles published by Murilee Martin are below:

"On paper, the Toyota MR2 should be an excellent choice for a low-buck endurance racer… but 24 Hours of LeMons racing has a way of shattering such preconceptions like a connecting rod hurtling through the side of a 4AGE block."

"40-year-old cars have an edge on the Index of Effluency, LeMons racing’s top prize. Chrysler products also have an edge. And, of course, French cars have a huge edge on the IOE. When you race a car that’s simultaneously 40 years old, a Chrysler, and French… well, just keep it running most of the weekend and the big trophy is likely to go home with you."

"If you want to contend for 24 Hours of LeMons racing’s top prize, the Index of Effluency, choosing a terrible Malaise Era subcompact gives you a big edge. Choosing a General Motors product also helps. Going with a diesel or, even worse, a Chevette Diesel, means that you pretty much have the Index of Effluency nailed down if you can manage to keep the thing on the track for most of the weekend."

To date, the single most creative entry in the series is the 2nd gen Toyota MR2 powered by a 540 cubic inch Kinner radial aircraft engine which had likely not run for 60 years and which fired up on the very first attempt. It's fed with motorcycle throttle bodies fitted with fuel injectors and controlled by a Megasquirt 3 board. I believe it barely managed a single lap before something critical shattered, but the post-race support expressed on the forum has encouraged the builder to keep at it and make it reliable enough for it to be banned as a safety hazard. I'm certain as are many thousands of other followers that its lossy oiling system is going to hamper visibility for anyone caught behind it.

I'm still mulling over whether I should attempt a late/early head swap on some junkyard 500s in order to create a low-buck 12:1 monster motor and possibly attempt to recreate HRM's Bad Seed Cadillac-powered Chevette - or perhaps go mid-engined and use it with a TH425 in the back to frighten everybody.

10. SRB

SRB New Member

Felis

Hah! This is great info.

A very good friend of mine owns a wrecking yard. He will sell me most anything that drives in for 450-500 all day long with clean titles. I have bought many late models that needed this or that (Priceless with hot rod Daughters) but passed on many many good running odd, foreign or not so popular cars. NOW I know what needs to be done with them. lol lol :thumbup: :thumbup:

11. cadiwumpas

cadiwumpas New Member

Haha,Too many projects... Caddy powered 65 Impala wagon currently in the house garage till I get the 49 Hudson back on the road. Hudson unknown to me had a bunch of broken top rings and broke the second ring on #5 on my way to Tn last year. Putting that combustion pressure into the crankcase turned her into quite the smoker so I
    just pulled the plug wire off #5 and stuck it on a nearby stud and motored on on 5 cylinders and no smoke. Well a least until the plug wire came off the stud and carbon tracked the cap so bad NO amount of scrubbing the inside of the cap/rotor could remove it. Teardown revealed the old 60 over Jahns pistons were hopeless so plan B
    was to use parts from the "spare" engine that came with the car. It ended up being a factory fresh never run replacement now going together to replicate a street version
    of the Smokey built 7X Hornet engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SRB

SRB New Member

That fish eye lens is neat, were you standing on a ladder? :eyepopping:

13. Sean

Sean Active Member

You guys have great projects.

14. kwikcad500

kwikcad500 New Member

My other projects. 97 Camaro Anniversary year. Going to be an LSx candidate. Non pwr door locks and windows, no rear defogger, only options are fog lamps and pwr trunk release. Kinda rare color only 2400 made. Always liked the 4th gen F bodies. Ive got a hotrod Yamaha Vmax too

15. Cadiac

Cadiac Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    94 caprice HiPo, 05 Corvette, 02 Chev 2500 Duramax
    The Cadiac/85 GP -FINALLY getting dusted off after years sitting, the engine (526, aluminum heads) is going to be put together -"Soon" -pics of it later. Have the 67 GMC swb with cad 500, is lowered, gonna take the ford headers off as they hang to low/y pipe is low and obvious. Want to use manifolds and no y pipe to put it up close. Much hacking had been done to the chassis so I at some point will put a Chev chassis I found under it/coil spring versus leaf on GMC's, also gear vendors for it. Still tinker with Dodgorado -A100, 1966, -gonna redo the exhaust at some point. Whats on it is to puny,-not allot of room to work with, with engine at rear. Brown 83 GP collecting dust, was gonna put 500 in it but, I'm getting slower and to much to take care of. But- Can't find a buyer for it so maybe stock caprice LT1 drivetrain at some point??

16. SRB

SRB New Member

Aaahhh, the mighty LSX. :cool: :cool:

17. DevilDeVille

DevilDeVille Member

Ford Taunus 17M Super P3 1964

The M stands for "Meisterstück" as it is a product of Ford Germany. Little funny (most people think of it as simply plain ugly) car built for Oldtimers Winter Rally-ing here in Estonia. Flimsy 1,7 litre fourbanger coupled with 4-speed column shift. Not too powerful but it does not weight anything either. We are using special rally snow tires made in soviet union.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Ted in Olympia

Ted in Olympia Well-Known Member

I may be weird but I really like the look of this car. Also looks like a ton of fun on the ice. Kind of amazing it is still in one piece and not all rotted out. I have not seen 4 on the tree before, I wonder if any cars here ever had it?

TED

19. Felis Concolor

Lovely garage shot: that yellow panel wagon is especially appealing. I've determined I'm happiest when driving a wagon, which does make future purchase choices much simpler.

Thank you for those Hudson 6 photos; that gold engine is gorgeous - and I'm guessing that's a direct-view temperature gauge in the upper right. Was that all they had, or was there also an internal dashboard gauge to monitor engine temps?

Regarding that Taunus:

Ugly? Hah: that's a lovely look and the Gulf colors really make it stand out.

20. MTS Marty AKA Nashillac

MTS Marty AKA Nashillac New Member

Still waiting for the guy to finish the headliner on the Nash. Have most all else done except windows and door stuff

This 67 Camaro is the next/current project. Have been very busy with both companies and have had little time the past few months to spend time on the projects.
    Like many companies have tightened the belt and working more hours. Really don't mind as the extra effort seems to be working out ok

Cut the old roll bar out and installed a 10pt cage. Also welded in brackets for the triangulated 4 link and sway bar.

Attached Files: