Oiling problems or not!!

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Cad Man and Jim Brode Says there is. Courtney says there isn't. Watch the vids of Holdener's, and Courtney says "stock". 6500 with stock?

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
My modified stock cast iron pump has pulled the Malibu to 5900rpm through 3rd gear on many occasions..........................with 2.94 gears over 7000 miles. I haven't blown it up yet. Broke stuff, yes. But nothing I'd relate to the oil pump.

My modified stock aluminum pump on the truck hasn't been through as much. It does keep better oil pressure, most of which I would say is the 3/16" shim in it. I have no shim in the Malibu.

Like every other engine, the higher the horsepower, the less sufficient it becomes. I just don't know where the limit is.

48Austin

Reaction score
What is your experience?

bro. d
So far none. Haven't built the engine yet. Cad Man and Jim Brode had done some serious things with the oiling systems.
My modified stock cast iron pump has pulled the Malibu to 5900rpm through 3rd gear on many occasions..........................with 2.94 gears over 7000 miles. I haven't blown it up yet. Broke stuff, yes. But nothing I'd relate to the oil pump.

My modified stock aluminum pump on the truck hasn't been through as much. It does keep better oil pressure, most of which I would say is the 3/16" shim in it. I have no shim in the Malibu.

Like every other engine, the higher the horsepower, the less sufficient it becomes. I just don't know where the limit is.
Looking to go 6000, and with stupid shit like missed shifts, E85 induced burnouts at car shows. May go higher. Ran a 428 Poncho years ago. 7000 out of the hole. Stock bottom end except for pistons. Didn't throw a rod, but did spin a bearing. Lasted a whole summer.

5one9

Reaction score
You are aware of the typical stock housing mods, right?

48Austin

Reaction score
Yes I am. But Cad Man, Mad Cadder, and Jim Brode took it to another level.

Darius

Reaction score
Yes I am. But Cad Man, Mad Cadder, and Jim Brode took it to another level.
Don’t t forget the accomplishments of the Professor/Plumber, otherwise known as the Kansas Flash! Doesn’t he own the low ET for a big Caddy?

48Austin

Reaction score
He says stock in Holdener's vids.

5one9

Reaction score
He says stock in Holdener's vids.
Yes he did. Running stuff on a dyno doesn't count for much, in a 70 degree room, with endless supplies of cool water, with bulletproof glass between you and the engine so that you can know exactly what doesn't look right and shut it down. Try that in a car with a hood installed. Not to mention endless diagnostics. And holdener's engine didn't last long, no matter why it blew up. At least not long enough to see if a 'stock' pump would last............................and it never made it into a car. These dyno shows are really a bad joke that have nothing to do with a car on the street or track.

That was an outright negative post wasn't it?

48Austin

Reaction score
I don't believe in dyno HP. It's on the street that counts. I'm not going to pay someone a Grand an hour to blow up my engine. I can do it myself and have fun doing it.

Darius

Reaction score
Yes he did. Running stuff on a dyno doesn't count for much, in a 70 degree room, with endless supplies of cool water, with bulletproof glass between you and the engine so that you can know exactly what doesn't look right and shut it down. Try that in a car with a hood installed. Not to mention endless diagnostics. And holdener's engine didn't last long, no matter why it blew up. At least not long enough to see if a 'stock' pump would last............................and it never made it into a car. These dyno shows are really a bad joke that have nothing to do with a car on the street or track.

That was an outright negative post wasn't it?
Yeah, that was pretty negative - but I’ve done worse ones!
I agree that dyno numbers aren’t street numbers but there is something to be learned from most anything - including when we DO blow up our own engines , of when Richard goes tooo small on the turbo hot side, neglects intercooling and timing.
I bet none of us will duplicate those mistakes after witnessing Holdenser.

Lessons learned.

bro “teachable,” d

5one9

Reaction score
I don't believe in dyno HP. It's on the street that counts. I'm not going to pay someone a Grand an hour to blow up my engine. I can do it myself and have fun doing it.

That’s the spirit!

5one9

Reaction score
Yeah, that was pretty negative - but I’ve done worse ones!
I agree that dyno numbers aren’t street numbers but there is something to be learned from most anything - including when we DO blow up our own engines , of when Richard goes tooo small on the turbo hot side, neglects intercooling and timing.
I bet none of us will duplicate those mistakes after witnessing Holdenser.

Lessons learned.

bro “teachable,” d

Holdener has never done anything like that on any other episode that I’ve seen. I just don’t get what he was trying to do. Luckily for us it wasn’t a success because everyone jumped on the bandwagon. You can’t buy a roller cam, best rocker arms, any brand of intake, and on and on. Pistons are in short supply if at all available. Cadco just got flat tappet cams back in stock a couple of weeks ago.

The upside? Used parts availability very soon.

cadillac512

Reaction score
Oiling problems were not something I experienced in 1200+ passes at the track ,over 800 of which were made shifting between 6000 and 6500 rpm. All were running stock Cadillac aluminum oil pumps and bearing clearances of one thousandth per inch of journal diameter. That means on a 3.25" journal you have .003-.0035" oil clearance. On a 2.5" you have .0025"+. Some may not agree, but it works very well for me.
Make sure the correct oil pump gasket thickness is used...some gasket sets have a too-thick gasket and since that gasket is what sets gear-to-block end play clearance it will compromise pressure, volume and priming on engine restart if it's not thin enough. Around .007" is close most of the time since the gears protrude about .005" from the pump body. That leaves .002" clearance gears-to-block.

Terry

5one9

Reaction score
I run a used stock aluminum pump on the truck with some mods. Cruises at 55psi. Idles at about 25psi super hot. Revs over 60psi. I do have the rear feed line and middle of the road clearances and homemade grooved cam bearings. It's working fine as of now.

The oil system on my 455 Buicks were way worse than these Caddys.

Big Cadoo!

Reaction score
Allegro
Cad Man and Jim Brode Says there is. Courtney says there isn't. Watch the vids of Holdener's, and Courtney says "stock". 6500 with stock?
I use a remote oil pressure relief valve. Installed at oil pressure port at top rear of block. Vented to oil pan. Can vent to lifter valley if desired. I contour the oil port on engine block. I set pump relief at 100 psi and then set remote to 60psi. All bearings are lubed and the oil pressure vents at remote relief.. I made 7/8 id oil pickup tube with large opening screen. I weld the tube to stock hold down with stock oring. I have also made a brass tapered insert that fits flush in the stock pickup tube oring area. I then made a new oil tube hold down out of
75o this steel machined for new oring that seals at the od of the brass insert. This allows the increase of the port diameter at pump entry. I have the 7/8 tube on the stock oring flange at tube bolt down area. It on a 512 cube mechanical roller cam engine with lifter bore bushings with.040 oil holes fit to each lifter. The lifters are compcams endurex reduced base circle with 470 ford links.
Without the remote relief and 7/8 id tube it would lose oil pressure down to 20psi at high rpms over 4500 to 6000 rpms. Now it pumps oil with rpms. It gets 55psi at 6000rpms now.

Big Cadoo!

Reaction score
Allegro
Here's some pictures. The area under the brass insert hasn't been increased in diameter yet on this engine. 20210915_103210.jpg 20210915_103412.jpg

Big Cadoo!

Reaction score
Allegro
Oli can have high pressure and low flow. Its high flow that the bearings need. High flow lubricates AND cools the bearings and any lubricated surface in the engine. I made modifications to my cad 500 engines till I found the combination of modifications that worked. I hope for 70 psi with 20/50 oil but was only to obtain 55 at 6000rpm with the crank bearing clearances. I know that the oil pump is getting oil as the guage is rock steady at rpm. The oil guage stays with the rpms of the engine. 20psi at 900rpm idle hot and 10psi increase at each 1000 rpm to 55psi at 6000rpm. I've had it at 6500 numerous times with no problems. I've had the engine out on stand and checked bearings. Like new everyone. #8 #7used to get down to copper before oil modifications. I never gave up on the task at hand and was thoroughly satisfied with the outcome. Oil in vs Oil out. Gotta get Oil in before Oil can come out. Couple pictures cadillac fun.

Attachments

• 20210916_141412.jpg
    20210916_141412.jpg
    332.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210915_103518.jpg
    20210915_103518.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 5

Big Cadoo!

Reaction score
Allegro
Oli can have high pressure and low flow. Its high flow that the bearings need. High flow lubricates AND cools the bearings and any lubricated surface in the engine. I made modifications to my cad 500 engines till I found the combination of modifications that worked. I hope for 70 psi with 20/50 oil but was only to obtain 55 at 6000rpm with the crank bearing clearances. I know that the oil pump is getting oil as the guage is rock steady at rpm. The oil guage stays with the rpms of the engine. 20psi at 900rpm idle hot and 10psi increase at each 1000 rpm to 55psi at 6000rpm. I've had it at 6500 numerous times with no problems. I've had the engine out on stand and checked bearings. Like new everyone. #8 #7used to get down to copper before oil modifications. I never gave up on the task at hand and was thoroughly satisfied with the outcome. Oil in vs Oil out. Gotta get Oil in before Oil can come out. Couple pictures cadillac fun.

Attachments

• 20210916_153940.jpg
    20210916_153940.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6