Oiling problems or not!!

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Cad Man and Jim Brode Says there is. Courtney says there isn't. Watch the vids of Holdener's, and Courtney says "stock". 6500 with stock?

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
My modified stock cast iron pump has pulled the Malibu to 5900rpm through 3rd gear on many occasions..........................with 2.94 gears over 7000 miles. I haven't blown it up yet. Broke stuff, yes. But nothing I'd relate to the oil pump.

My modified stock aluminum pump on the truck hasn't been through as much. It does keep better oil pressure, most of which I would say is the 3/16" shim in it. I have no shim in the Malibu.

Like every other engine, the higher the horsepower, the less sufficient it becomes. I just don't know where the limit is.

48Austin

Reaction score
What is your experience?

bro. d
So far none. Haven't built the engine yet. Cad Man and Jim Brode had done some serious things with the oiling systems.
My modified stock cast iron pump has pulled the Malibu to 5900rpm through 3rd gear on many occasions..........................with 2.94 gears over 7000 miles. I haven't blown it up yet. Broke stuff, yes. But nothing I'd relate to the oil pump.

My modified stock aluminum pump on the truck hasn't been through as much. It does keep better oil pressure, most of which I would say is the 3/16" shim in it. I have no shim in the Malibu.

Like every other engine, the higher the horsepower, the less sufficient it becomes. I just don't know where the limit is.
Looking to go 6000, and with stupid shit like missed shifts, E85 induced burnouts at car shows. May go higher. Ran a 428 Poncho years ago. 7000 out of the hole. Stock bottom end except for pistons. Didn't throw a rod, but did spin a bearing. Lasted a whole summer.

5one9

Reaction score
You are aware of the typical stock housing mods, right?

48Austin

Reaction score
Yes I am. But Cad Man, Mad Cadder, and Jim Brode took it to another level.

Darius

Reaction score
Yes I am. But Cad Man, Mad Cadder, and Jim Brode took it to another level.
Don’t t forget the accomplishments of the Professor/Plumber, otherwise known as the Kansas Flash! Doesn’t he own the low ET for a big Caddy?

48Austin

Reaction score
He says stock in Holdener's vids.

5one9

Reaction score
He says stock in Holdener's vids.
Yes he did. Running stuff on a dyno doesn't count for much, in a 70 degree room, with endless supplies of cool water, with bulletproof glass between you and the engine so that you can know exactly what doesn't look right and shut it down. Try that in a car with a hood installed. Not to mention endless diagnostics. And holdener's engine didn't last long, no matter why it blew up. At least not long enough to see if a 'stock' pump would last............................and it never made it into a car. These dyno shows are really a bad joke that have nothing to do with a car on the street or track.

That was an outright negative post wasn't it?

48Austin

Reaction score
I don't believe in dyno HP. It's on the street that counts. I'm not going to pay someone a Grand an hour to blow up my engine. I can do it myself and have fun doing it.

Darius

Reaction score
Yes he did. Running stuff on a dyno doesn't count for much, in a 70 degree room, with endless supplies of cool water, with bulletproof glass between you and the engine so that you can know exactly what doesn't look right and shut it down. Try that in a car with a hood installed. Not to mention endless diagnostics. And holdener's engine didn't last long, no matter why it blew up. At least not long enough to see if a 'stock' pump would last............................and it never made it into a car. These dyno shows are really a bad joke that have nothing to do with a car on the street or track.

That was an outright negative post wasn't it?
Yeah, that was pretty negative - but I’ve done worse ones!
I agree that dyno numbers aren’t street numbers but there is something to be learned from most anything - including when we DO blow up our own engines , of when Richard goes tooo small on the turbo hot side, neglects intercooling and timing.
I bet none of us will duplicate those mistakes after witnessing Holdenser.

Lessons learned.

bro “teachable,” d

5one9

Reaction score
I don't believe in dyno HP. It's on the street that counts. I'm not going to pay someone a Grand an hour to blow up my engine. I can do it myself and have fun doing it.

That’s the spirit!

5one9

Reaction score
Yeah, that was pretty negative - but I’ve done worse ones!
I agree that dyno numbers aren’t street numbers but there is something to be learned from most anything - including when we DO blow up our own engines , of when Richard goes tooo small on the turbo hot side, neglects intercooling and timing.
I bet none of us will duplicate those mistakes after witnessing Holdenser.

Lessons learned.

bro “teachable,” d

Holdener has never done anything like that on any other episode that I’ve seen. I just don’t get what he was trying to do. Luckily for us it wasn’t a success because everyone jumped on the bandwagon. You can’t buy a roller cam, best rocker arms, any brand of intake, and on and on. Pistons are in short supply if at all available. Cadco just got flat tappet cams back in stock a couple of weeks ago.

The upside? Used parts availability very soon.