No so priority main oiling

Cad Man

Reaction score
Ive heard of priority main oil systems but after seeing this a Caddys is a giant improvement ..

From Engine Builders Magazine

The 429 and 460 do not incorporate priority main oiling. Oil is pumped from the oil pan through the oil filter and into the front main galley of the block where the front main journal and front cam journal are pressurized. From there, oil enters the passenger side lifter valley then to the drivers side lifter valley and then branches down the rest of the camshaft journals and finally to the rest of the main journals.

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
So how do they survive? Do they melt down and nobody is saying anything, not even the mags? Or do we need to go to their sites?

Cad Man

Reaction score
People complained about a Caddys oil path. ?? Sure is better than those ..

I think 455 Buicks oiling are about the same as bbf

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Topic is a little dated at this point, but I will say I have built 429, 460, 514 inch BBFs @ well over 6000rpm (over 7000 on the 429). I've never seen one blown up, and haven't heard loads of horror stories. They are tough engines even in stock form at above stock rpms. The oil pump is superior to the Cadillac.

I will also say that they don't require a supplemental oil line run to the back of the block like my Caddy is going to. Ford must have gotten something right. I just hope my 519 Caddy will hold a candle to the 514 Ford that I had.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
The Cadillac motor was NEVER intended to run any faster than 4500 RPM. At that speed oiling is more than enough. The other engines mentioned did not put out anywhere near the Torque as the Cad so they depend upon higher revs to get the HP to the ground. Hence the challenge in using Cadillac motors for high speed and outputs.
Greg Surfas

5one9

Reaction score
The topic was questioning Ford’s oiling system, not Cadillac’s original design intent.

Sorry to offend.

Darius

Reaction score
Topic is a little dated at this point, but I will say I have built 429, 460, 514 inch BBFs @ well over 6000rpm (over 7000 on the 429). I've never seen one blown up, and haven't heard loads of horror stories. They are tough engines even in stock form at above stock rpms. The oil pump is superior to the Cadillac.

5one9

I will also say that they don't require a supplemental oil line run to the back of the block like my Caddy is going to. Ford must have gotten something right. I just hope my 519 Caddy will hold a candle to the 514 Ford that I had.
I, for one, am most interested in hearing your first hand, experienced, assessment comparing the two engines, the Ford 514 and your 519 Caddy. Should be an interesting appraisal.

My first two cars were Fords (with flathead engines). Later I owned a 1966 Thunderbird and a 1967 Mercury Cougar. Both were lovely cars. Over the years other marquees have found homes in my garage or driveway. They have included: Oldsmobiles Chevys, Cadillacs, Buicks, but nothing MOPAR - at least so far. The usual range of "foreign" makes have also graced our ground: Toyota, Subaru, Acura, Audi - for those that come easily to mind.
Simply put, I love cars!! Their flavor changes with model and make, time periods and whether stock or modified. Still, I love cars. The ongoing Cadillac powered 1950 Studebaker is certainly the odd-bird-out.

Your experience with the two Behemoths (519 and 514) will add to our combined knowledge. Thanks for thanking on the challenge!

Best wishes,

bro. d

Red98422

Reaction score

I have no personal experience with the ford engines, but I did a ton of reaserch before for them (planned to buy a car and the deal fell through a month later) and everything your saying is contrary to all of the Ford FE engine builders out there on the forums, YouTube ect.....granted this is all via the internet and not personal experience and if you talking about a different engine than an FE than disregard the entire rest of this post lol.

The common oiling modifications I see mentioned for the FE series of engines are: getting a bigger pan, getting a better pump, using 3/4 groved mainshells, bushing the passenger side lifer bore (I don’t truly understand why the passenger side specifically), oiling restricter on the oiling header crossover

Also you have to take into account that you can get an off the shelf HP/HV oil pump for the BBF for not a crazy amount of money whereas the only truly upgraded option for us Cadillac guys is $1100....and that’s quite a chunk of change.

At the end of the day both of these engines have there quirks and they both have there place. And both can absolutely haul ass.

5one9

Reaction score
A 429/460 is not an FE engine and has nothing in common with an FE except for a PH-8 oil filter.

Red98422

Reaction score
A 429/460 is not an FE engine and has nothing in common with an FE except for a PH-8 oil filter.
That makes much more sense...like I said all my reaserch was done for the FE series of engines, as I have no clue about the other portions of the ford family

5one9

Reaction score
FE is a great engine. 1950s technology, but durable

El Diablo

Reaction score
1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
The 370/429/460 Fords are 385 series engines. One characteristic I really like about these engines is the splayed valve arrangement similar to the Cleveland and BBC heads. With good heads, they will definitely make some power. As expected, they have a ton of aftermarket support to help you along. With a stock block, I think you can go as much as 557".

PROSTOCKTOM

Reaction score
Since I have raced and been around 385 series Ford engine for over 3 decades I can tell you a few things that are required for longevity in a drag race environment with basically stock parts. In order to keep them living at 7500 RPMS we have always enlarged and radiused the passage way from the filter to the bulkhead and deburred all the transitions in passage ways. Installed lifter bushings in all 16 lifter bores, used restrictor plugs in the galley, ran an external line from the front to the back, used restrictor pushrods, and an off the shelf Meilings high volume oil pump. We have a 510" with these mods that has had the short block together for over 20 years and is still racing without any issues. This engine is in a 2950 lb. Fairmont that runs 6.10 at 112 mph in the 1/8 mile, so it's making good power. FYI: One of the guys on the engineering staff that designed the Ford 370,429, 460 also worked on the Cadillac 472/500 design. After 15 years playing around with the Cadillac's I can tell you a 500 will not survive at these RPMS without a belt driven oil pump. The 526 Cadillac in the Sprint boat has all the lifter bores bushed and is running a 5-stage dry sump system. Having spend many days at Potter's while engines were on the dyno I have seen to many issues with stuck oil relief valves to ever want to use a stock oil pump on anything over a stock rebuild.

Tom

Last edited:

Darius

Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks for those insights.

bro. d