No longer caddy powered

Discussion in 'Off Topic, B.S., Lounge' started by yellowroket, Feb 13, 2018.

1. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    THE only reason why Pontiacs are not the dominate force right now is because Duntov was stolen to work for Chevrolet. Cadillac had their own structure. There engines were much stronger than everybodys. This is proven over and over again in over 100 years of hotrods. The real truth didn't come out until the late "50's. Yes, a lot of guys ran Olds back then. But Olds was the test and refinement for Cadillac.

2. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

Definitely a lot less oiling mods needed for Pontiacs at high power levels, aren't there?
    Then there's trading even more crank strength for a reduction in block beef.
    Trade offs are fun as the engine develops, right? (better induction)

3. yellowroket

yellowroket Well-Known Member

20180302_150748.jpg A couple pics for you guys

4. yellowroket

5. 48Austin

48Austin Active Member

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Don't look like Cad to me. Unless it's a Northstar. And it doesn't look like that either.

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

That string of wires was enough to convince me that one of the "you pay - we build" aftermarket wiring companies will get my business!!

LS does not a Northstar make. It may not be Caddy powered but it is a worthy hotrod. The Lord, and Robby, willing we might have a little heads-up speed contest. Maybe. I hope. Who knows. :devil:

Anyone else out there want to play???

bro. d

7. El Diablo

El Diablo Active Member

1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
    But.... I'm not ready....

I'm also in the middle of an LS swap. I pulled the 400 sbc out of that trike I built and am installing An all aluminum 5.3 LM4. It is over 100 lbs lighter than the 400. Guess I'll see what all this LS stuff is all about.

8ad-f85 likes this.
  8. yellowroket

I was a little worried about the harness D. I have about 40 hours in it and was honestly a lot easier than I figured. Used the guide on lt1 swap.com. Just depinned everything from the computer connectors and worked my way back. Tuning in open loop speed density with a th400 so I removed all the o2 wires, knock sensors and transmission controls. Saved me about $550. The car is up and running an has been for about 2 weeks. I have only managed to get it out once though because of this friggin weather. I have some video but photo bucket went crazy and wants too much money to use now. Taking the money I saved on the harness and having it dyno tuned this Wednesday....cant wait! Added the AEM water meth kit and have the waste gate sprung for 14lbs to start off. I plan to have them take it until I run out of fuel pump (450 lph) or injector. Should be somewhere around 20-25lbs. Hopefully everything goes smooth. I will let you guys know. Its a loaded mustang dyno and being a stalled auto it probably wont make huge #s but looking for 600-700 wheel.

Rob

8ad-f85 likes this.
  9. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

Good job! I hate wiring.

bugzaper likes this.
  10. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Bro. Rob,

More power to you, Brother! The most I've every wired was my home made dune buggy and that basically came down to the ignition, charging system, lock-off solenoid for the propane converter and gauges. Those few wires were enough to steer me away from future wiring jobs. I cannot imagine my patience holding up for 40 hours of spaghetti sorting.

A couple of weeks ago I tried to get the Lexus RX 300 front power seats to operate and after far longer than it should take I got the seat back to go forward and back.:confused: I am one sorry soul when it comes to wiring.o_O

Best,

bro. d

11. yellowroket

Just got back from the dyno. Had all kinds of freaking problems with my tuning software an the customer service!! Had to re license the cars computer and ended up costing me $750 by the end of the day! About $300 more than I was expecting. Sucks but it is what it is.
    When I first got there this morning the guys were looking at my hotside, Chinese turbo parts, home brew wiring just shaking their heads. They are a high dollar place where everything is arp, billet, brand name. Anyways after about the 3rd pull everybody in the shop was over at the car asking me questions...what rods, whose pistons and heads. I told them GM,GM and GM lol This is a mustang dyno and a very stingy one at that plus the car has a loose non lockup converter.

Made 538 hp 781 tq @14 lbs of boost with 16* timing on straight 93 pump. I was a little bummed with the hp numbers but the guy who owns the shop told me that's normal with an auto and he would bet his business it runs bottom 9s. Torque peaked below 4K rpms. It is a straight animal and pulls like nothing I have ever been in. I can roll into it in high gear at about 30 mph and as soon as it comes up on boost it will just blow the 28x11.50 drag radials off. I will post a pic of the dyno sheet when I get a minute

Rob

Darius, 8ad-f85, nosgood and 3 others like this.
  12. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

Dang! You be cooking now. Good job.

13. yellowroket

Hey guys, I have some time and figured I would give a little update. Been working through a bunch of bugs on the car. The 400 lasted about 300 miles with the new found power and self destructed lol I pulled it, bought a couple books and rebuilt it myself. Converted it to a manual valve body due to having all kinds of issues with the vac modulator and boost doing crazy things. The 450 walbro pump in the tank would start loosing fuel pressure in high gear. I replaced it and now go figure my base FP is 10 psi higher and playin hell with the tune.

Had it to the track twice now. Converter is too tight and with no 2 step or transbrake it pushes through the brakes before it can build boost. Cuts a crappy 1.8x 60' and then goes to 14 lbs by second gear which blows the cheater slicks off and usually makes your life flash before your eyes lol No boost controller yet so I changed out the 14lb waste gate springs for some 10 lb ones I found. Log shows 9 psi of boost but finally made a clean pass. With a very conservative 10.9 AFR (super FAT), 14 degrees timing, 9 psi and a crappy 1.8 60' the car made its fastest ever pass and mph, 11.05 @125.8 mph in Hagerstown Md. D/A was horrible at 3700 feet. Car weights 3800 lbs with me in it. Still have some bugs to work out and $$$ to spend. I know some hate on the LS motors (I admit to previously being one of them) but for a little ole 323 ci production motor with a cam and valve springs on only 9 lbs of Chinese boost to push a 3800 lb car almost into the 10s with a 1.8 60'......that's freaking amazing!! Once I figure out my power management and get a better handle on the tuning its a 9 second street car all day long.

Rob

14. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I LOVE hearing of your experiences with the new engine ... successes and challenges alike.

Your ability to blow away those cheater slicks gives me some pause - and I'm not even behind the steering wheel! I hope to forestall that kind of tire breakaway with the AWD but we shall see.

Best,

bro. d

15. bugzaper

bugzaper Well-Known Member

w...a...y too fast for this ole man!
    The older I get the "slower" & "lower" I seem to enjoy.

16. Cadiac

Cadiac Active Member

:devil::devil::devil:He he he