No longer caddy powered

Discussion in 'Off Topic, B.S., Lounge' started by yellowroket, Feb 13, 2018.

1. yellowroket

yellowroket Well-Known Member

Hey guys time to fess up. Yanked ole reliable out of the car for the last time. After the fiasco with trying to keep the big hammer together I had to make a big decision. Put my so called back up motor in, stock bottom end late model 500 with ported heads and a procad grind. Thing is dead nuts reliable at probably 500-550 horse but just isn't fast enough anymore. It did go 11.80s on pump gas in a 3800 lb ride.

Kicked around the thought of going with a blue print big chevy but ended up jumping on the LS band wagon. Bought an 06 5.3 out of a Tahoe. Stock bottom end (has better gen 4 rods) with 60K on it. Completely stock other than pulling pistons to open the ring gaps up. Pac 1218 valve springs and a JFR 218/218, .590 lift 112 lsa turbo cam. T4 billet S480 83x75 straight from china, 80 lb deka injectors, 93 pump/ water meth, 4" air to air intercooler, 3 bar map tuned in open loop speed density stock computer with hp tuners software. Should pretty easily make 700-750 wheel on 20 lbs and run mid to bottom 9s. I am waiting on my custom PTC converter to show up and need to re-work the factory harness yet. Should be up and running in the next couple weeks.

Love my caddy's but it cost a small fortune to go fast and even when you get them fast anything much over 600 hp seems to be on borrowed time. I have about 5K total investment in the turbo ls swap and if I get greedy, turn it up to the moon and scatter it, another junk yard motor is $400- $600 bucks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darius and 8ad-f85 like this.
  2. 8ad-f85

8ad-f85 Well-Known Member

That was a bittersweet 'like'.
    It's good to find something that will keep your vehicle going affordably and stay fun.

3. nosgood

nosgood Active Member

Congrats man you're going to have a blast with that thing. Guys have done incredible things with Chinese Turbos.

-Nick

8ad-f85 likes this.
  4. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I'm EXCITED for you! Can't wait to hear how she runs and what times you can put down.

It is a bit disappointing that you made the switch from the Big Caddy but you gave the ole gal a good try.

With power coming from a Caddy, or an LS, I'll still expect a friendly heads up competition from you, Brother!

Best,

d

5. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

Yes. That's going to happen alot. Its a very strong and dependable motor. Ive second guessed my choice too. My friends who have them make good cheap power from all junk yard parts. Junk yard turbo. Its fun to to make hack power. I cannt afford racing cars. Barely getting this project together. I really like the caddy sound and being diffent. Thanks for all the help and advice. Best wishes to you. Any chance you can keep us informed on you numbers and build? Have fun. Oh yeah. Your build kinda reminds me of the you tube vid. I saw on motor trend. They did the same thing years ago. Its cheaper. Go brother go.

6. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

Keep us informed!

7. Cadiac

Cadiac Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    94 caprice HiPo, 05 Corvette, 02 Chev 2500 Duramax
    Some darn fast LS stuff out here in these parts

8. 48Austin

48Austin Safty First! Then pull the trigger!

1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Party pooper!:(

9. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Oh, come on now 48. Let's wish Robby well in building that LS as strong as he can, you build your Caddy as strong as YOU can, and I'll continue with my puny little efforts. Then we can see who will out run, who! It's all good brother, all good! :sneaky::D

bro. d

PJ McCoy and 8ad-f85 like this.
  10. 48Austin

I didn't say anything bad:(. Just a party pooper. I know LS engines are the new flatheads. Or 'Model B's. There were a few cars of note that used 12 cylinder Lincoln's and 16 and 12 cylinder Cads. Does the song "Hot Rod Lincoln" ring a bell. Song was written by the guy who had the real deal. 12 cyl., Model A body made it look like a pup.

11. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Smiles and for the memories that brought them!!

First engines I ever worked on were flatheads; and I remember an old guy who managed a motel in Lake Tahoe where "She who must be obeyed" and I stayed on our honeymoon. The man was a seasoned rodder with tons of experience putting 12 cylinder engines - and anything else - into much lighter frames. I had a great time! The honeymoon wasn't bad either!

You are right in that you didn't say anything bad, but it is just that Robby got wrongly dumped on back when his Caddy engine had its share of teething issues and I don't want him to feel a stranger here. My bad if I came across too judgmental. Sorry.

Best,

bro. d

8ad-f85 likes this.
  12. 48Austin

I know! The big LS engines are in the "Testical Aides". But this is the BIG mamba jamba Cad site. Home the "Titantic" anchors.

13. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Testicular aides, you say. Hmm, at my age maybe I need to rethink this Caddy thing. Hell, I can use all the help I can get!! :cry: :sneaky:

Best,

d

14. yellowroket

Hey guys I wont be a stranger. I still love the big ol caddy's. But just as several have stated and I found out first hand they are great up to a point. What I call my back up motor has been nothing but awesome and makes around 500+ hp runs 11.80s on regular pump gas. I feel anything much over that is when they start having issues. After being taken to the cleaners by a couple machine shops on my big motor the last which resulted in the entire thing being trashed I had to make a decision. We just welcomed a baby boy last week, have a 6 year old daughter and most of my OT at work has been cut. I cant afford the exotic go fast Cadillac parts or building a motor every winter. My priorities have change pretty drastically in the last year. I want to spend more time with the kiddos and less in the garage but still need a bad fast street car lol. The turbo ls route would normally never even cross my mind as everyone and their brothers have one.....but they have proven to be reliable, make insane power boosted and be plentiful and dirt cheap in the salvage yards.

Rob

PJ McCoy likes this.
  15. grendel

grendel Member

Wait until the kids want to get out there and build with you. Mine do.

What's left of the Cad 500?

16. yellowroket

I cant wait for that! My daughter has a go kart we built, a 90 quad we redid and a power wheels we mounted on an old lawn mower chassis. She enjoys it but gets mad when I spend days working on my toys lol. I still have the complete back up motor which will probably end up going into a mud truck. The usable parts of the big motor have all been sold off.

17. grendel

grendel Member

Nice set up. This is what we did in an 86 Monte SS

Attached Files:

8ad-f85 likes this.
  18. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

Rob, congrats on the baby! I took a powerwheels added a high amo pwm and a lawnmower battery to it. My son drove the plastic wheels off that sucker. Actually drove the plastic away. I put small lawnmower rubber over them. The grip worked for about an hour. Stripped the plastic gears off the motors. It was a little jeep type. All wheel drive. Ive got oic. Of my son 2yrs old scraping oil and gunk off the cross member of my trans am. Your gunna love it.

Darius likes this.
  19. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

NOW, THAT is choice!!!

Made an old man smile like there's no tomorrow!!

Papas, enjoy your young.

d

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    PJ McCoy likes this.
  20. dave brode

dave brode Well-Known Member

DSC00612.JPG DSC00613.JPG DSC00609.JPG 454.jpg View attachment 23488 View attachment 23486 An update on my running off. Truck is powered by a normal, no tinker 454 N/A'd. Except for the turbo stuff, the last of my caddy parts are in a big crate to go to someone here. I'd like to sell the turbo stuff too.

I'm busy with my stick car, and I needed the truck to be simple, so I didn't have to/want to tinker with it. It's hard enough to keep one thing running. Besides, I might have to sell it to finance the race car, and figured that it would sell quicker with a a chev .

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    El Diablo likes this.