New toy

pila78

Reaction score
Is that a '66 Tempest ? Or a full size ?? I bought a '66 Tempest Sprint new, with the OHC 6. It had a q-jet carb on it, steel-pack muffler and I believe a cast iron header. It was a strong runner,when it ran right !
It was a terrible car ! Floor shifter rattled, heater puked on the floor, twice !,trans got itself into two gears at once somehow...
And that's just the high points !! :D
The Q-jet had problems, and even the dealer guys didn't know anything about it !

The body on that one doesn't look too bad....

caddycarlo

Reaction score
It has some damage but not bad ... the guy we got it from rebuilt the engine but never fired it so I am going to pull it clean parts and check clearance and reassemble ..then john can clean the inside and decide what to do with it...

caddycarlo

Reaction score
My only worry is the engine and making it go ...... john has already found a good black interior for it ... only bad news is that it's missing the driveshaft

robocop

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1987 Cutlass Supreme 2 door with 500 Cad/Turbo 40
Looks like you got yourself a rebuilt engine too. I really like Goats; look up WallaceRacing.com for information on exactly what you have.
YS or YZ block? 670 heads? An automatic a/c car would have a pretty tall rear axle, like 2.93s. Those dual piston brake calipers were reputed to leak and stick but a Corvette style stainless steel sleeve job will permanently cure that.

caddycarlo

Reaction score
Robocop

You are dead on on all you said ... I think John and you would get along great as he is a gto guy too... we know the heads are the wrong ones for a 67 John is trying to track down the right ones ... and I already talked to him about the brakes ...

pila78

Reaction score
I fooled with Pontiacs when I was younger. Had a '57 with the 347 engine. Bought a '59 Catalina new, kept it until buying the '66 Tempest Sprint. Last Pontiac engine I did was a 400, from the '67 Bonneville I had....

I imagine those V8s are hard to find these days.....

8ad-f85

Reaction score
There's plenty around still it seems. Doing 2 more stroker Pontiacs now.

caddycarlo

Reaction score
Been a while since I have done one... john found heads here in town ... guy had 3 sets but wanted 700 bucks for a builder set .... we passed

robocop

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1987 Cutlass Supreme 2 door with 500 Cad/Turbo 40
The 670 is the best flowing D port head. The closed combustion chamber is most resistant to knock and ping if the block is zero decked. The '67, being very popular to GTO fans in general boosts cost of 670 heads. $700 is on the high side but not totally outrageous for a pair. You can find cheaper but once cost of shipping is thrown in the savings will be lower. I think there is a Pontiac salvage yard in your corner of the country, "Pontiac Heaven". Maybe he has some. I know distances out West are a lot bigger; I think he's in Arizona. Does the car have a Dual Gate? First musclecar I ever had a thrill ride in, a '67. It had the 360 hp High Output and a 4 speed.

8ad-f85

Reaction score
The OP is a skilled head porter and builder.
The advantages of certain casting D ports go away quickly under the knife.
Originality and value?
That's a different story.