New member in Omaha

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
66 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Duplex
Hi everyone, just wanted to make an introductory post. My name is Jay and I'm in Omaha, NE. I'm 38 and have been turning wrenches as a hobby (and for a living for a couple years after high school) for close to 30 years now. Current project is a 1966 Miller-Meteor Duplex (hearse/ambulance) that I'm in the process of swapping a '70 500 out of an Eldorado into. I was originally going to try to use the original 429, and actually got it to run, but then discovered water in the oil, and after tearing it down discovered multiple cracks in the block and heads. Anyway, I found a complete 500 to swap in, just need to track down a few miscellaneous parts like an oil pan, exhaust manifolds/headers, power steering bracket, etc. I always have a few projects going at any given time, also have a bagged 97 S10 long term project (owned since 2001), a 30ft Allegro motorhome with a 454, long tube headers & dual exhaust, and tempted to start a T-bucket build at some point in the future. Anyway, that's me, and I'll probably be asking a few stupid questions on here in the near future, glad to be a part of this forum! 20190523_144648.jpg20191031_192440.jpg20200805_165103.jpg

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Welcome to the board.

For your swap, your '66 turbo 400 is not going to match up to the later 500 block bolt pattern as it has the odd Buick nailhead pattern. But you could take the guts out of your turbo 400 with the switch pitch converter and put it into a later model turbo 400 of the correct length for your chassis. I highly recommend retaining the switch pitch converter in that heavy car. They are highly desirable. Or sell your ex. tranny on a Buick forum.

You will also need to find the correct oil pan for your chassis. The eldo 500 has a rear sump oil pan, but I believe the 429 had a front sump in that chassis. The good news for you, is the eldo rear sump pans are highly desirable and the front sump pans aren't so finding one you need should be easy, just be sure to swap out the correct pickup and dipstick. Sell the rear sump pan and pick up or save it for another swap.

The original 429 must have gotten pretty hot to crack the heads and block, so assume that '66 radiator is garbage or have it tested before you use it on the 500. Cad Company has a good write up on their site for swapping the 472/500 into the older cads and I recommend reading.

Darius

Reaction score
Welcome PSYKO_Inc,

Interesting project you've got for yourself there - along with the other toys you are playing with.

Let me know if you still need a midsump oil pan as I have one sandblasted and clean. Also might be able to help you with the PS bracket, if you're still in need.

Best,

bro. d

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Welcome to the forum from West Virginia

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
Thanks 5one9, Darius, and Caddylackn, I've actually been pretty busy on this project over the past couple weeks, lots of late nights in the garage. I actually started a build thread on another Cadillac site (not sure if I'm allowed to link directly, since sometimes there are fueds between similar forums, but it's the one where they like things "not stock"...) but I'm tempted to post a summary in the Big Block section here as well, and update both as I go. Until I get a chance to get this forum up to speed on my shenanigans, here's a taste...
20200907_224219.jpg20200907_232408.jpg

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Anybody here have a stock anything:whistle::rolleyes:o_O

Darius

Reaction score
Anybody here have a stock anything:whistle::rolleyes:o_O
If so they are in the minority -- no offense to any minority!!

Mine sure as hell isn't stock, engine, car body (Studebaker?), transmission, AWD ........

bro. "Non Stock," d

5one9

Reaction score
Mine’s all stock

Darius

Reaction score
Your what, is all stock? Certainly not that engine.

bro. “doubting” d

5one9

Reaction score
Your what, is all stock? Certainly not that engine.

bro. “doubting” d
Just making sure everybody in class was awake

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Ditch that points distributor to an HEI dizzy from a later model '75 - '80 cad and recurve it, its a direct swap. Just feed your HEI a true 12 Volts and not from the stock pink resistor wire. Also grab the stock quadrajet off of the same car and rebuild it if your 500 didn't come with one.

About the only way that tank will ever see double digit mpg will be from a quadrajet.

PSYKO_Inc

Reaction score
I've been keeping an eye out for an HEI setup, but I'll also need to find a later model pulley set to make it happen (planning on running A/C eventually.) Also have an MSD 6AL and Blaster2 coil sitting on the workbench waiting to install. Current carb is an Edelbrock 750 cfm (came with the car, rebuilt by me. 500 didn't come with a carb.) Planning to run that for now, but I'd like to eventually upgrade to a homebrew EFI system.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Yes you will need a later model pulley system or the belt and pulley can hit the HEI cap. The later models also didn't have the smog pump.

Yes good call on the A/C. Got to keep those bodies cool before the burial service.