New Corteco gaskets coming

dave brode

Reaction score
All,
I looked over the Corteco line the other day. Noticed that they had .038" and .028" composites for many engines, including Olds. Also .018" shim for sbc in s/s and carbon steel.

Called today and spoke to a nice fellow named Chad Davis. Asked about .028" and .038" gaskets for Caddy, as well as a big bore. He said the tooling for big bore composite as well as the stamped shims style would be 10s of thousands = not going to happen. He did say that they are making some changes to the .028" and .038" line, and he hopes to add a .038" composite Caddy gasket asap, but probably late this year at best.

The bore dia will be same as current #20639 Caddy gasket, which is spec'd at .053" compressed, btw. He said that the .038" composite design is different than the std gaskets and VERY strong. Two layers of metal sandwiching another mat'l. Being used on 2000 horse engines now with good results.
Dave

A

Anonymous

Great Info Dave,

I also sent them an e-mail a while back & was given the .053 crushed thickness spec. So I'm thinking I need to have my pistons around .015 above the deck for good squish/quench with 120cc heads. Now I'm building this engine with the hopes that it will be a solid dependable trouble free runner for 100k miles.

Suppose something happens & I need to pull a head. What if the .053 Corteco is no longer available and the new gasket is not as tall?

~JM~

dave brode

Reaction score
JM,

Afaik, there's no plan to scrap the normal .053" gasket. If you're worried, you could just zero deck it. There should still be some quench action at .053". If you want compression, you could alway run a Felpro, which is a fine gasket imo. Should be plenty good for a mild deal.

Fwiw, my engine has Cortecos, and no way a .048" feeler guage will go between the freshly surfaced head and block.
Dave

~ link=topic=1008.msg10268#msg10268 date=1111439364]
Great Info Dave,

I also sent them an e-mail a while back & was given the .053 crushed thickness spec. So I'm thinking I need to have my pistons around .015 above the deck for good squish/quench with 120cc heads. Now I'm building this engine with the hopes that it will be a solid dependable trouble free runner for 100k miles.

Suppose something happens & I need to pull a head. What if the .053 Corteco is no longer available and the new gasket is not as tall?

~JM~

A

Anonymous

They have had that project in the works for a while along with the coated copper gaskets
Alot of the mopar guys run the better high performance gaskets with no problems dont see why we should have one
Thing they havent done is fix the gasket sets

nova50073

Reaction score
          The bore dia will be same as current #20639 Caddy gasket, which is spec'd at .053" compressed, btw. He said that the .038" composite design is different than the std gaskets and VERY strong. Two layers of metal sandwiching another mat'l. Being used on 2000 horse engines now with good results.
Dave                                                                                                                 

does this mean it would be ALMOST as good as a copper and o-rings, to seal the heads to the block? :idea:

BTW, house loan has been aproved. should have the nova in  the shop thursday night. :yes:

Attachments

• inside shop.jpg
    inside shop.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 2,446

cadillac512

Reaction score
  Congrats,Charles!
        Get that Nova in there and have some fun. :thumbup: And tell the wife she done good!
  Terry

dave brode

Reaction score
Hey Charlie!,

nova50073 said:
Dave                                                                                                                 

< does this mean it would be ALMOST as good as a copper and o-rings, to seal the heads to the block? :idea:

So he said. He stressed that the .038" was a VERY strong gasket design. He also did say that all engines are different, and our wide head bolt spacing might make not allow them to work to the seemingly incredible horse levels that they do in other engines. Still, sounds like a good thing for us.

< BTW, house loan has been aproved. should have the nova in  the shop thursday night. :yes:

Good job. Worked well after all. Congrats. I bet Martha's happy too.
Dave

Andy V

Reaction score
Ok so we've hashed this a couple times.&nbsp; I had thought the Corteco's crush to .043 before?

Is .053" now the official number?&nbsp; My block is getting decked as early as tomorrow so inquiring minds need to know asap.

If it is .053", I'm thinking going .005 out the hole with the piston (KB382's).&nbsp; Putting quench somewhere in the .040s"&nbsp; Anyone see a problem with .005" out of the bore?
Small chamber heads, 2.19/1.84 valves by the way.

thanks
Andy

dave brode

Reaction score
Andy,

Corteco told me that they are .053" un-crushed. I get .046" or so with a feeler gauge between the block and head. Others have found different. I'd say .005" out of the hole will put you in the 40s.
Dave

link=topic=1008.msg11424#msg11424 date=1112909689]
Ok so we've hashed this a couple times.  I had thought the Corteco's crush to .043 before?

Is .053" now the official number?  My block is getting decked as early as tomorrow so inquiring minds need to know asap.

If it is .053", I'm thinking going .005 out the hole with the piston (KB382's).  Putting quench somewhere in the .040s"  Anyone see a problem with .005" out of the bore?
Small chamber heads, 2.19/1.84 valves by the way.

thanks
Andy

cadillac512

Reaction score
Andy-
&nbsp; &nbsp; I put the heads on the T engine last night,and the Cortecos crushed to .049".I'd put 'em .005 out of the hole if I were you.
&nbsp; Terry

A

Anonymous

I just measured a new one out of the box @ .063

I sent an e-mail to Corteco asking about a crushed thickness & the reply was .053

Hmmm...

I sure would like to know the correct answer.

~JM~

POTTER

Reaction score
If they are like most companies, they probably don't know either and have not even put any thought into it, just like the thicker oil pump gaskets.

Andy V

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the info.&nbsp; I measure my set at .060 on the sealing ring.&nbsp; So I'm going to assume .050 crushed and put the piston .005 out.
The spec for the KB's on NOS use is I believe .0025 piston to wall clearance.&nbsp; I don't know if that will allow more piston rock or not?&nbsp; If it all adds up I should have around .045 piston to head clearance cold and not accounting for the bearing clearance.