New cast pistons for 120cc heads

Reaction score
Looks like we are going to make a cast piston for the big heads. It will be a true flat top and be .010 taller than the others availabe
Pricing areound $395 a set
How much interest?
Seems the flat top and taller piston would address current issues

Looking for some feedback

Nick Campagna

Reaction score
That is cast, not hyper, correct ? With the big heads, will the piston have no valve reliefs cut, so most cams won't lose compression ? Pressed or float, What over sizes ? This could be very nice.

dave brode

Reaction score
Nick,

Not trying to nit-pick, but "hypers" are cast too.

Question to all: Aluminum casting alloys can be hypereutectic, hypoeutectic, or eutectic?

Are non "hyper" pistons eutectic or hypoeutectic?

Dave

p.s. - Marty, made in USA :thumbup: I have speedpro 350 sbc pistons in my 4.3, made in freakin' India.

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
I think the cast flat tops are a very good idea but plus .015 would be better if you going to do it. This would make them about .005 out of the block and I think this would be perfect.

I know we had problems with the Hyper 76cc head pistons but I never heard of any with the flat tops and I thought they were a good product. How did they sit is a stock block?

Can you get forged pistons that are flattops? How much would they be worth?

I like this cast piston idea and I would use them for any 120cc rebuild.

Keep up the good work Marty.

One question for you; why do you not show the adjustable rockers on your web-site anymore?

TED

cadillac512

Reaction score
Dave said: ''Question to all: Aluminum casting alloys can be hypereutectic, hypoeutectic, or eutectic?

Are non "hyper" pistons eutectic or hypoeutectic? "

Dave-

I believe nearly all (modern) non-hyper cast pistons are eutectic. There is a significant silicon content although below hyper levels.

Marty- Good idea! :thumbup:

Terry

Ted in Olympia

Reaction score
You have a nice picture of them up top mounted on the head, and the non-adjustable ones on page 4, but I don't see the adjustable ones?

http://www.mtscadparts.net/servlet/the- ... Categories

I was thinking of selling mine but I wanted to look up the current price, also send the guy a link to what I had.

Maybe it's just operator error. Sorry to get off track.

TED

cadillackeeper

Reaction score
I do have to say I am afraid every day of the week,listening for preignition.
I think the problems with the crazy KB's is first off that wild end gap filing
that is Crucial and going past a stock application.Gas is a killer too at the
supposed 10-1.Woosh,I paid $4.05 today for some to hold me till my usual
$3.75 place.

USSCADY

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1975 Coupe DeVille
What would the approximate CR ratio be with 120cc heads and near (.010-.020) std bore? Thanks! I think the cast are a great idea.

Reaction score
ASSUming 120cc, 4.357 fire ring, 4.330 bore & .043 gasket thickness comp. is just under 9.0 I think 8.950 or so

Std bore would be about .010 less at 8.850 to 1 but we aren't making any stock bore pistons

USSCADY

Reaction score
1975 Coupe DeVille
Thanks for the quick answer! I think you have a good idea with those. Not sure of exact numbers but there must be significantly more large chamber than small chamber heads out there.

Reaction score
Well - we have commited to 30 sets of these pistons 15 sets at +30 10 sets at +40 & 5 sets at +60
These should set up about .004 in the hole with a stock deck and .004 out with a .008 deck cut
Made is USA $395 a set
Supposed to be ready by Sept 30 and was a pretty strong commitment to have them done by then :crossfingers:

Counting these we have over 100 sets of pistons in stock. Just trying to keep the service in the Cadillac world happy so they won't go back to a Chevy of Ford :puke:

Cadiac

Reaction score
94 caprice HiPo, 05 Corvette, 02 Chev 2500 Duramax
""Counting these we have over 100 sets of pistons in stock. Just trying to keep the service in the Cadillac world happy so they won't go back to a Chevy of Ford ""

I'd rather have Fred Flintstones car! :metal: