New Cadillac Build on Detroit Muscle !

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
72 Miller Meteor
Downside: No more cheap parts for us (although at this point the number of things I actually need from a stock motor consist essentially of 'block,crank, main caps')
Upside: Maybe the big companies will take notice and make things like MLS gaskets and more than exactly one set of rocker arms.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
That hearse probably already had the highest gear ratio made by Cadillac, since its commercial chassis. I think some of the commercial chassis came with a 3.63 ratio or something like that. I would have just welded the spiders.

How about that crazy spec cam they picked? Higher intake lift than exhaust, but a lot higher exhaust duration than intake duration? Didn't say what the lobe separation was, and it came from Summit. I hope its not one of those worthless "rattler" cams.

And JW's CNC ported 425 heads with Pontiac Super Duty valves (2.11/1.77?) I am interested in how much power they make .....

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
I think mine has a 2.93 in it although they did change things a bit with different transmissions.

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
That hearse probably already had the highest gear ratio made by Cadillac, since its commercial chassis. I think some of the commercial chassis came with a 3.63 ratio or something like that. I would have just welded the spiders.

How about that crazy spec cam they picked? Higher intake lift than exhaust, but a lot higher exhaust duration than intake duration? Didn't say what the lobe separation was, and it came from Summit. I hope its not one of those worthless "rattler" cams.

And JW's CNC ported 425 heads with Pontiac Super Duty valves (2.11/1.77?) I am interested in how much power they make .....
I would also like to know about the heads. Do they know some thing Courtney doesn't or working with him?

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100

Tell me more about the “rattler” cams.

Red98422

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
I would also like to know about the heads. Do they know some thing Courtney doesn't or working with him?

im positive that Courtney is not working with them.

IMO I don’t think the heads are a good choice, if they flowed better than the 902 or 250’s when ported they would be much more sought after I would think

48Austin

Reaction score
I don't if it's true. But heard of a water jacket problem with 425 heads and 472/500 blocks.

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I don't if it's true. But heard of a water jacket problem with 425 heads and 472/500 blocks.

It gets close, but not critically close. I’m sure that they used the 425 heads for the bump in compression.

48Austin

Reaction score
Well since I'm going to use a "belt driven parts destroyer". A quote from my injected nitro buddy. I want my compression to be lower.

Monzallac 425

Reaction score
From what JW said on the Faceballs page, he was only there 3 hours, they were in a rush, and it's going to get a 100 shot of NOS.

They requested the heads and he delivered them.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Caddylackn

Reaction score
im positive that Courtney is not working with them.

IMO I don’t think the heads are a good choice, if they flowed better than the 902 or 250’s when ported they would be much more sought after I would think
The 425 intake port has the bad 90 degree short turn, but the chamber widths are the same size and they use the same valves as 120 cc heads. If CNC porting can help reshape that and with the bigger valves they should flow close to 120 cc heads. The intake ports at the sealing surface are only barely smaller but they will open up same as a 500 head. There is probably no flow advantage, only the compression bump. The 425 heads are a little lighter.

The 425 cooling ports line up on a 500 block for the most part, but there are extra steam holes on the 425 heads. The 500 gasket will cover those. There is some mismatch of the water port shapes but they line up enough to flow good, but this does leave a little less surface area for head gasket compression sealing.

I have both a 425 head and a 902 head and both gaskets on my workbench if anybody is interested in photos to see the difference.

Darius

Reaction score
The 425 intake port has the bad 90 degree short turn, but the chamber widths are the same size and they use the same valves as 120 cc heads. If CNC porting can help reshape that and with the bigger valves they should flow close to 120 cc heads. The intake ports at the sealing surface are only barely smaller but they will open up same as a 500 head. There is probably no flow advantage, only the compression bump. The 425 heads are a little lighter.

The 425 cooling ports line up on a 500 block for the most part, but there are extra steam holes on the 425 heads. The 500 gasket will cover those. There is some mismatch of the water port shapes but they line up enough to flow good, but this does leave a little less surface area for head gasket compression sealing.

I have both a 425 head and a 902 head and both gaskets on my workbench if anybody is interested in photos to see the difference.

Pictures would be nice ... since you are offering.

Thanks,

bro. d

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Ok, I will get some this weekend. I think laying a 425 gasket on a 500 block would give a better picture on what the sealing surfaces and coolant port match ups look like.

48Austin

Reaction score
For the money they spent, they could have gotten a repo tank and saved alot of work. So would have made it cheaper. Also stuck the bottle in the tire-storage compartment under the table and kept the rear interior stock. And functional.

48Austin

Reaction score
I bet hotrod and PCS hearse guys are pissed about chopping up the cargo area. I know I am. All of my hearses hae had the cargo area intact.

FauxPontiac

Reaction score
1964 Lemans
They are somewhat focused on weight; a good thing. If they want some "free" go-fast work, they should lose the energy absorbtion on the bumpers, and trim some weight off the bumper brackets. Big savings there.

Psychoholic

Professional Idiot
Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
I bet hotrod and PCS hearse guys are pissed about chopping up the cargo area. I know I am. All of my hearses hae had the cargo area intact.

I am very much so in the 'it's your car, do whatever you want with it' camp when it comes to hearses but I admit that I twitched a little bit when he cut the hole in the table. Seeing what happens to the driveshafts when they spray it is going to be 'interesting'.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Nothing like a car that gets 8 mpg and has a 10 gallon fuel cell.
Hot Rod Power Tour, here we come :rofl:

Its weird in some shots, the body looks like crap, in other shots its totally buffed out and shiny, except for the top, which is completely ragged. Make up your mind already, is it a patina theme or a restorod theme.