need some help

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by thelazyk, Jul 9, 2018.

1. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

Have a quick question, putting the 507 together for the LaSalle, but did not have the crank key when it came back from machining. I put in a 1" long half moon" Woodriff key, is this correct? It seems like there is not much intersecting with the cam gear and the crankshaft. ??? Am I missing something?

2. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

MY BAD!!! I meant there did not seem to be much of the key intersecting with the crankshaft and the crank gear.

3. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Are you saying the key between the crank and gear are loose? There should not be any play. It should be a snug fit. The machine shop should have some. I would go and ask them for one.
    Hope this helps.
    PJ

4. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

No, not loose at all, 3/16" key in the 3/16" slot in the crankshaft. What I am questioning is the length of the key. It does not appear to be long enough to extend all the way through the crank gear. I had CADCO do the machining in NM, I am in AZ. There was no key in the crank when it cam back. I cannot remember if I pulled it or not before it went there to be turned. I am pretty meticulous, but could not find the key placed with the parts I was planning to re-use. CADCO did a fabulous job and I am not blaming them for no key, I just want to be sure I have the correct one in place. I went to NAPA and bought a 3/16" X 1" - half moon woodruff key. NAPA had no engine specifics for this part. I know some engines use a square key, others the half moon.
    Anyone out there have a crank laying around with a key in it? If so, how long is it?

Darius likes this.
  5. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

6. mario

mario Well-Known Member

"If so, how long is it?[/QUOTE]

Great questions! I'm curious to hear the answers.

Best,

bro. d"

Bro d:
    You never cease to amaze me.....:p:p:p:devil::devil::devil::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    Ciao,
    Mario

7. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

Ok, no news.
    However I thought some of you would enjoy some pictures anyhow.

8. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

Oh crap. Wife and daughter said, you need a new phone, one without an antennae! Capitulated, thought this will be good, no need to tote around a camera. Took lots of pictures with said phone/camera, unfortunately IPhone(apple) and Dell(microsoft) really don't want to talk to each other. Can see pictures of LaSalle and 507 Caddy build in on my _(*&*%%$#@) phone. I would love to share, but our computer says Nooo!!! I won't talk to that so and so!!! If I get it figured out, I have some neat stuff to share. If not, I guess a Polaroid would be bullet proof. Speaking of bullets...

9. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Active Member

Thanks for clearingit up for me.
    I do remember the key being longer than I expected. I will try to find some old pics and see if they show the key.
    PJ

Darius likes this.
  10. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Those are always comforting words to hear.

bro. d

11. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

PJ you were absolutely correct. The key is long. My Napa was of no help. Another parts house I deal with did not have manuals dating to the 70's but directed me to a local machine shop. Nice guys, had manuals, found a Dorman part number, then looked in their bins to see if they had one. They did not, but the CARQUEST parts house that sent me to that machine shop had some in stock! When in doubt, find an old guy, because they know... wait a minute, I'm old!
    So if you need one, the 500 Cadillac crank requires a 1 3/8" long crank key. 3/16" X 1.37 X 25/64 -- Dorman part number 595-077. I will pull the water pump, timing chain cover, cam crank gear, chain and cam gear and replace the crank key with the correct one. It could have been catastrophic , but luckily, it just did not seem correct when I was installing it. Wrong crank key in a $12,000 engine, priceless!
    Thanks for your help. Will try to send some pictures soon.

PJ McCoy and Darius like this.
  12. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

WOW!

It's good that you listened to the little voice telling you that something was not right. You could have simply gone with the half moon shaped Woodruff key and wasted a $12,000 engine; all for the small price of the proper keyway fastener. Sure, you had to spend time running around to check with various sources, but the effort required to do it right, as in checking even the littlest element, can make or break a great project.

I've recently learned that lesson on my Studebaker project but I'll speak to that in my thread.

Best,

bro. d

PJ McCoy likes this.
  13. thelazyk

thelazyk Member

Thanks bro. d. As you said, usually when we feel like something is not right, more often than not it isn't. That can be said about a lot of things in life.
    Lou

PJ McCoy likes this.
  14. richie49

richie49 Member

This is what mts has for a crank key.

Attached Files:

15. Red98422

Red98422 New Member

I am glad you found your answer....and I am sorry i didn’t see this thread before now....I have a crankshaft with a key in it that I could have measured for you, but alas you have already found your answer.