Need Help with Rear Gears

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Ok, I thanks to everyone who offered to help. I have priced the diff and quickly realized that fixing my rear gear would put me out of reach. I just swapped the places of both gears. The axle shaft gears for the L/S. I also shimmed both clutch packs. I called Jim from JD Race and restoration,(great guy) he suggested I shim the clutch plates. This would make the drive/axle gears have better/tighter contact with the smaller pinion gears. I know I am on borrowed time hear. I also know the torque of this Caddy engine will simply smash those old gears. So I plan on taking it easy until I can replace the rear end with a 9".

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
I buttoned the rear end up, I did NOT USE that crush sleeve eliminator kit. The gear pattern look ok as far As I could tell. The back lash was at 8 on the dial indicator. The finial bearing preload with the crush sleeve was a bit higher than without it. It was loose at 200ft/lbs then it tightend up at 1/8 of a turn. An 1/8 of a turn was all I could turn with the jack stands and mufflers in the way. That saved me. Thought it would take more than that. Anyway, The finial pinion preload was 15 or 18 it was hard to read moving it so little before readjusting.

In the morning I will install drive shaft and fill the trans. Check for leaks. Then take her out for a spin.