Need Help with Rear Gears

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Ok here is whats up!
Backlash.
I have .005 on my indicator.
Ive read that I need to be at .006-.008 for used gears. I want to call that good. Or good enough.
Will .001 difference on backlash be a problem with used gears?

The gear pattern is the same as before. Coast side looks like the drive side.
The compound seems to be evenly wiped off both sides the same. No real "pattern" at least no text book pattern.

So If I am good at this point. Can I...????
1.I press on the better bearing.
2. Work on crush sleeve eliminator
3. Install front seal
4. New pinion nut

Then move on to axles and ect...

If all sounds good please chime in.
If I am missing something. Please chime in.

Thanks PJ

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
IM back! feeling stronger too, had a big malfunction today. I forgot the pin holds the planetary/spider gears. Axles in I asked my son to foot brake the car while I double checked my torque on the ring gear. The spider gears just walked right out! Both of them:eek::eek::confused:
I figured out they wont fit back in with that stupid spring in the way!!! So I removed the spring! Then I realized it EXPANDS!! I mean bigger than that hole it popped out of.:geek::geek::geek:
So it took me the rest of the day thank you google and you tube!:laugh: It is now all back together. Well the front seal still needs to be installed.

Dunce move: Here it goes, I was using my angle gauge as an inch pounds wrench! I know I know, Know I don't. I don't know what I was thinking,
If that's not crazy enough, my inch pound clicker wrench, was "set to click" at 8lbs. The original setting started at 20lbs. So I loosened the tension on the spring until 8 inches from center of wrench clicked with 1 16oz bottle of water. Click wrenches don't work. so I just kept tightening the pinion nut until it felt good to me. Now that is a good way to do it.
Really that's what I did.
Ive installed the crush sleeve eliminator kit, easier than everyone says, I measured the old crushed sleeve and added .002 more to the spacer and shims, BINGO!!! 125 ft/lbs plus another 3/4 turn on that pinion nut. Felt right to me. No wiggle, slop and it takes some force but not much. Unless I can barrow a wrench that will work Monday, I am sticking with it. If it howls going out the drive then I will let everyone know. If it blows to crap I will let everyone know.

I expect someone will tell me it MIGHT BE OK for a little while, BUT!!!!
Or There is a reason the spec sheet calls for xyz!!!!
hahahaha, Well, All I can say is this, I don't have that little wrench and it seems just a tad bit tighter than before I removed the yoke.

Know I am going off muscle memory, What the Heck is wrong with me? I mean Its not like I am going to be RAW DOGGEN ON HER!!!
Yes I will, And I know you all know it too. I don't really like swapping rear gears! I don't like it, Its not fun and it makes me smelly according to my wife. She said, Ajax wont scrub that STANK!!! off you!!!
I wonder what kind a rear end she thought I got myself into!:confused:

good night.
PJ

Red98422

Reaction score
Damn PJ, wish I knew more about rear gears as well, next summer I might find myself in your shoes going to a Posi unit on my 425. Good luck and I hope she tears some asphalt for you :thumbup:

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Damn PJ, wish I knew more about rear gears as well, next summer I might find myself in your shoes going to a Posi unit on my 425. Good luck and I hope she tears some asphalt for you :thumbup:
Thanks. It would be a lot easier if the car was up on a lift. Doing this off the floor sucks.

I am going to get a torque wrench. Most likely from ebay, though reviews say the specs on the low end are way off.

Ive also thought about using a spring scale, used by anglers.
8" from center of socket and pull until I see 1lb on spring scale. This might be the easiest way.

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Time to go 9" or 83/4 NoPower. This can all be done on the bench and the pig slapped in. Also have extra pigs set up with different ratio's.

Andy V

Reaction score
I've seen spider gears with pitting and chewed up like your pics show...they didn't last long sorry to say. I'd try to find a set of clean ones if you can...junkyard even would be better than those. Those will continue to degrade and put metal in your oil, killing the bearings and ring/pinion at some point from the trash

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
I've seen spider gears with pitting and chewed up like your pics show...they didn't last long sorry to say. I'd try to find a set of clean ones if you can...junkyard even would be better than those. Those will continue to degrade and put metal in your oil, killing the bearings and ring/pinion at some point from the trash
Thanks Andy! I will do that. I have ordered a beam type inch pounds torque wrench. I had to cool down a bit after wrestling with this rear end.
Many many thanks.
PJ

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Up date:
I have contacted Kurley for some help through a PM, thank you Sir, for the info and humor, "back lash"

I removed the gears again. And checked everything out. Advice was taken. I still have one big issue I cant seem to figure out. Maybe Andy revealed something to me, I had an ah ha moment.
I can turn the ring gear with the pinion yoke about 90+%, then there is a tight spot. Guudntight like my old Russian girl friend.
I wheatstoned the ring gear and the diff. Which I didnt do before. I chased the threads as well.
Everything is fine as far as I can tell.
What do you all think?

Maybe those spider gears pitted?
Thats my next fix.

PJ

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Few more.
I read that some gm trucks have LS front axles too. Anyone verify this? Yukon gear has it listed too? For the posi.

I need one good Spider gear. I ordered 2 small Planetary? Gears by mistake. Looking at my phone pics, i had my camera angles and the phone auto corrected. So the Big gears were on top.
I made sure I ordered the top gears.
Im going to try to send them back. IDK.

Im going wait and make sure this is done the best I can. The 9" is looking better and better.
PJ

El Diablo

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1959 Cadillac Sedan deVille
Im going wait and make sure this is done the best I can. The 9" is looking better and better.
PJ
If you go the 9" route, go through Speedway Motors and get the full floater setup. It makes pulling the pumpkin a 5-10 minute job. You can have several pumpkins set up ready to go with different gear ratios depending on what you want to do.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
If you go the 9" route, go through Speedway Motors and get the full floater setup. It makes pulling the pumpkin a 5-10 minute job. You can have several pumpkins set up ready to go with different gear ratios depending on what you want to do.
I will check that out. Thanks