my poor dead engine

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
This cam issue reminds me of an old 455 Buick that I ‘overcammed’. It was a stock 1973 8.5:1 engine that I put a 234/244@0.050” cam in. It sounded like an old tractor idling and had crap for driveability. Rhoads lifters were the hype and I was desperate. $79 back then was a lot but cheaper than a new cam. That coupled with 23 degrees initial and 35 degrees total (no vacuum advance) and it was vastly improved.

It was the only time I ever ran Rhoads lifters and they did exactly what their add stated. Engine vacuum went up 3 inches.

I laugh now when I read about them being ‘snake oil ‘ because they do exactly what they were designed to do which is bleed off lift and duration at low rpms. I chose the wrong cam and fixed the issue with these lifters, period. I did however nuke the engine about two years later on 175 shot of nitrous and 1000 psi bottle pressure. My best friend blamed it on the Rhoads lifters.

5one9

Reaction score
I am not a Rhoads salesman by the way. And they won’t correct gross overcam mistakes.

Red98422

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Reaction score
Damn...I personally have no experience with rhoads lifters, however their premise seems simple enough (from a hydraulic operation perspective) I’ve always wondered how they would effect oil flow/pressure as the design is basically made to flow through at low RPM.

Not knocking Rhodes lifters at all just curious questions I've always wondered to myself

For what the OP is going through however you look at it, it’s a shit shake of the deal when we’re trying to buy camshafts for our engines. Neither one of the vendors give out cam specs for their cams before you buy, the grinds also get changed significantly without warning.

Personally I’m probably going to go through Delta Cams when I get to this point in my build as they’re local to me

5one9

Reaction score
Delta reground the stock cam for my 223 Ford 6 cylinder about a year ago. They took it from 0.250" lobe lift to 0.286" and 18o-ish duration at 0.050" to 212 degree. They also reground the solid lifters. Top notch work from those guys, very fast turnaround, and seriously reasonable price. I am sending the another new cam for that engine and having them bump it up some more.

Darius

Reaction score
Richard, like Red, I had no idea that the specs on the #15 camshaft had been changed. I'd wondered why you were having so much trouble dialing in your tune. Now, knowing that the grind of the camshaft has been changed - significantly - we have a possible cause!!

Please do check with your machinist concerning the condition of your old MTS #10 camshaft. That's what's in my engine and during the breaking there were no problems in getting things set up.

Too bad those now in charge of MTS (CHP) are such poor communicators. Buyers/builders need to be aware when major modification take place. A trip to their website shows nothing indicating a substantial transformation!

Best,

bro. d

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Cam grinds? We need the "Mad Cadder" aka "Cadman" back. Julius where are you?:(:mad::cry: His solution to these problems was to go direct to the cam grinders.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
FWIW I’ve got a CadCo SS300T cam and lifters that specs out like an MTS 13 (as Marty said) just slightly used with the lifters numbered to go back on their own cam lobes that is available
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
FWIW I’ve got a CadCo SS300T cam and lifters that specs out like an MTS 13 (as Marty said) just slightly used with the lifters numbered to go back on their own cam lobes that is available
Greg Surfas

Bro. Greg,

Let's talk - if no one else raises their head.

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Greg
A CadCo ss 300T ? That one isn't listed on their web site.Special grind? The SS300 H is listed for a high compression. Was it run in a stock low compression engine?

Richard richie49
you can send a private conversion with the answers if you want. Thank you.

48Austin

Reaction score
Does anyone make motor mounts stronger than the stock ones?

Richard richie49
Just take the new set of mounts, bolt them in and weld plates to make them solid. Just like we did in the olden days before mounts for everything.

48Austin

Reaction score
If you are happy with your old cam, why not send it to Lunati and have them grind you a copy? They probably made the original. Or you could send it to Howards.

5one9

Reaction score
If you are happy with your old cam, why not send it to Lunati and have them grind you a copy? They probably made the original. Or you could send it to Howards.

I agree. Or send it to Delta, let them put it on their Cam Doctor to get the profiles, and regrind it to a slightly smaller base circle. Less than 1/2 the cost of a new cam, and just as good.

richie49

Reaction score
48 Austin, 5one9
Thank both of you for the suggestions. Lunati did grind the cam. When I get the time ,I'm going to check the old (not very old) cam for wear It only had like 300
miles but the engine lost oil pressure and got to make sure it's still usable before I put it back in.

Darius
Do you still have your old spec sheet from your # 10 cam:whistle::)

Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Darius ....The reason I was looking at mounts was because the motor in my car is rocking and shaking more than it should. I looked at the mounts with the motor running and one mount looks good no movement, the other one looks bad and is very soft and can see a lot of movement so I am going to replace it. . . .When you get a chance can you post what your mounts look like.

Richard richie49

Richard,

I used some pattern material purchased at Home depot, of an unknown name, but like a THIN construction board (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub4mC9NzCBI). That was held against the mount protrusions of the Cadillac block; and a pencil used through the existing bolt holes marking where to drill. From that a rough pattern was made.

I worked - and reworked - that pattern to meet my needs. It was then transferred to 3/16 inch steel plate.

1 3/4 inch round stock was cut to length (hacksaw, bandsaw, cutoff disc, jig saw - pardon the expression - or by whatever means available) to fit the polyurethane bushing kit, with steel inserts, purchased at the 4X4 off -road shop. A second piece of 1 3/4 inch round stock was cut to length to mate the above piece to the frame. A hand held power drill was used to fashion the basic "saddle" in that round stock - to form the "T" of the two round pieces.

Enough already, you understand the procedure. Make a pattern, make the parts, bolt the damned things together, and or weld them! Easy - peasy, very little fuss, little money and lots of options!

bro. d

DSCN3630.JPG DSCN3634.JPG DSCN3636.JPG DSCN3637.JPG DSCN3639.JPG

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Coming to the party late, but it sounds like the perfect cam might be (my) Cadco SS 300T.
232 @.050, ICL 106, LCA 110. lift with 1.72 ratio rockers is .568/.550.
I pulled it after a couple of hundred miles to put in a roller. I labeled the lifters according to the lobes they ran on so you don't have to break it in.
Good cam for street/strip. Makes excellent vacuum and idles at about 650 RPM. Nice lope but tractable. It is for sale for $295.00 plus shipping.
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
Greg,

What vehicle was that engine/camshaft in? Wondering about weight, gearing, performance - really just overall street manners.

d

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
The cam was in my 5200 pound coupe de Ville running 10:1 pistons with an 1800 RPM converter and (originally) a stock 2.90 rear end. With my one tire fire I ran 14.6. When I went to a 2115 still running a QJ and a 3.55 Moser I went to 13.9. Actually broke the motor in by driving to work in rush hour traffic. Idle was lumpy but still ran PB and AC was usable in the Southern Texas Summer.
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
View attachment 24549
48 Austin, 5one9
Thank both of you for the suggestions. Lunati did grind the cam. When I get the time ,I'm going to check the old (not very old) cam for wear It only had like 300
miles but the engine lost oil pressure and got to make sure it's still usable before I put it back in.

Darius
Do you still have your old spec sheet from your # 10 cam:whistle::) Richard richie49

Richard,

Here is the MTS #10 spec sheet for the Lunati grind. Marty sent it to me after I had lost the one that came with the camshaft.

d
LUNATi  Cam card - MODIFIED 2.jpg

Last edited: