my poor dead engine

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by richie49, Aug 27, 2018.

1. richie49

richie49 Active Member

2jvlo
    The hard starts were a combination of all kinds of crap.:( The battery is in the back of the car with very long cables.The way I had them was the cables going to the front and the neg to the block.The positive went to a ford style solinoid. A lot of gm style starters have a heat soak that would make the starters click if they got too hot.by wiring the starter with current only when cranking they wouldnt mess up as much.works greaton chey trucks. Well while I was chasing starter prtoblems I found the battery disconnect to have resisrence.Got rid of that.checked starter and the solinoid on the starter was very well arced over so replaced that and tryed starting and the dangford starter solinoid stuck and I had to pull a battery cable.I left off the fors solinoid ,replaced the starter redid all connections:mad: I t wasnt hard to fix but when its multiful things....Anyway it spins great now ,waiting on carb parts to redo the idle system,hopefully by fri.
    Richard richie49

2. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

You are right, when the problem involves a number of areas it can take a lot of time, and patience, to work through them all.

I'm glad you got that solved.

d

3. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Darius
    What was really neat was the fact that the starter was a autozone rebuild and it had a limited life time warranty ! and they replaced free.It was bought 18 years ago.Guess thats how long I have been working on it..:(:confused:o_O or somewhatworking on it!:whistle::laugh:

PJ McCoy, 2JvLo and Red98422 like this.
  4. richie49

richie49 Active Member

I'm back on the car again. I talked with Cliff Ruggles and I got new idle tubes .new metering rods front and secondary and changed a few other things and the motor idles in gear without a problem.BUT it shakes kinda rough.I ordered the holley gasket spacer for quadrajets,dont know who was talking about it but I hope it helps because I believe the 1/4 gasket under the carb is leaking I think.Still working on the tune and hopefully get it smoother at idle.
    When I was working on the the starter ,once I got it spinning ok I decided to start it. I thought I had the ignition on and was spinning it over and it wouldnt fire. checked coil ,found out no voltage to coil,opps checked and i found out i had turned the key off.Then:( I turned key on and cranked the motor over.The resulting noise scared my wife in the house and had neighbors looking out the windows. I blew both mufflers open and bent all to hell. So a trip to to muffler shop next week.:mad:
    So if I can load the video 2 small ones of the motor idling you can hear hear how a 108 lobe cam #15 mts cam sounds (with blown up mufflers)

Richard richie49
    cant seem to upload the videos ,do they have to be a certian type?

5. richie49

richie49 Active Member

ok Can anyone tell me how to post a video?right now they are quicktime,so what do I need to do.

Richard richie49

6. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

I hope you get those videos loaded cause I want to hear that racket!! :eek:

Best,

bro. d

Red98422 likes this.
  7. richie49

richie49 Active Member

testing

Finally got it to post..The engine idles but does a lot of rocking ,still trying to get it smoother.

Richard richie49

8. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Now, how did you get the video to load???

Dang!! At first I wondered if the firing order was correct. Then I wondered if all cylinders were firing. Now I just want to hear it running steady-state at more than an idle.

Does it take throttle well? Any hesitation when you blip the throttle?

It shore doesn't sound standard! There will be NO mistaking that for your grand-pappy's Cadillac

d

9. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Darius
    I linked it to utube .I registered on utube.Then when I got past error error ,it was saying you dont have a channel and it finallyI had to name it and it posted.I guess I was just messing up.
    The engine at about 1200 to 1400 rpm is smooth.Ill take another video and hopefully it will post ok. I havn't drove it but standing still it revs up ok
    This is TAX week ahhhhhhh got to do taxes. I have mufflers to fix exhaust but cant do that till I finish TAXES:(

Richard richie49

10. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Thanks for the follow up.

Taxes! Yep, I spoke with the CPA this morning and he said he'd have them done by tomorrow. I had dropped off all of the detail before the first of the month - which was a first!

d

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  11. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Darius
    This cam is not a good cam. At least for my engine,a low compression 500. I tried to get a video but it didnt come out very good.
    What I did was ran it at idle 800 rpm,then ran it to 1500 and it was still very loppy,then I ran it to 2000 and you could still hear the lope.At 3000 it was ok but I cant
    enjoy the car if I have to fight the idling and lope at speed. It will idle down to 600 but it feels like the engine will jump out of the bay. Im going to fix the exhaust and drive it and see how it goes but it doesnt seem very streetable. It does have power because I took to the end of the driveway and just hit the pedal and let up, a quick slap and it layed 2 feet from a quick slap on the pedal.
    Richard richie49

12. 48Austin

48Austin Safty First! Then pull the trigger!

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
    Literally sounds like too much overlap for what you want. But what from I have gathered on this site from Julias and others. These engines like it.

13. Cadillac Kid 1

Cadillac Kid 1 Well-Known Member

Richie,
    What stall speed converter do you have in it? If you are running an MTS #15 cam you should have AT LEAST 2300 RPM
    Greg Surfas

PJ McCoy likes this.
  14. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Greg
    Im running a stock converter. What advantage would come with a higher stall?

The mt15 has changed and when I ordered the listing said enough vacumn for brakes,I have 11 in of vacumn.the specs now say a idle of 950 .As i know of other people talking their cams were 112 lobe seperation which is good for idle and street maners .A 108is better for a strong build with compression ect. For everyday driving this cam isnt right at least for me.
    I got out and tried to get it to better.It doesnt like manifold vacumn so I went with ported. Adjusted the carb and runs best(so far) at idle of 1250 ,out of gear and then idles at 950 in drive havn't figured why the difference in idle ,in and out of gear yet. then while trying to restart the starter stuck in flywheel and by the time I got the battery cable off the starter was smoking bad.:mad: Guess ill try another starter. dang its good I have patience or I would BURN this dang car to the grould:mad: Just a bummer of a day.

15. Darius

Darius Well-Known Member

Bro. Richard;

Sorry to hear of your frustrations today. I had a few of my own while out in the garage. Seems some tools should be replaced after a few decades of use. :rolleyes:

To top it off, She who will not be denied wanted me to go with her to a "We are Engaged" party for a woman from her work. What the hell is that about? :confused: What's next: "We had a bad fight so I cut him/her off for three days?" :lipsaresealed:

Weddings I understand, baby showers make sense, … but "We are engaged? :crap:

Oh well. It is a different day with different societal norms. Good I got back to the old folks home before curfew because them folks have been known to lock me out.

Richie, go have a wobblypop (or 3) on me!

bro. d

16. Cadillac Kid 1

Ritchie,
    The looser converter lets the motor idle and run at slower speeds (under say 2000 RPM) without a load on it and thuys i can idle a bit smoother. An example of this in stock Cadillacs was the switch pitch converter they used in 65-67. When you stepped on the brakes such as at a stoplight the converter would go into slip pitch to unload the engine. This also was activated by a throttle switch so that as you depressed the throttle beyond a certain point it also engaged the slip pitch to let the motor get into higher revs to get more into the power band.
    Check with a cam maker such as Lunati who probalbly mad that cam or with the folks in Albaturkey. See what kind of stall speed they would suggest with your cam.
    Greg Surfas

Darius likes this.
  17. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Cadillac Kid
    It is a Lunati from CHP . The listing for it says works best with 3.23 to 3.73 gearing and for good measure throw in a 2000 rpm converter. I have looked some and the prices are kinda high. Still looking. Any body got recommendations on a converter ?

Richard richie49

18. Cadillac Kid 1

I've got a 2100 TCI that ran for a while until I changed it out for a custom 3000 custom made when I went to my roller cam.
    $200.00 plus the shipping.
    Greg Surfas

19. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    66 Cdv 500
    Really hope you'll get it sorted out. Would be a shame if the cam didn't work out the way you'd like it to! Are you going to drive it any time soon?

20. richie49

richie49 Active Member

2jvlo
    Hopefully going to drive it soon if it quits fighting me:(,Got the tune better but the dang:mad::mad: starter went up in smoke going to change it out today or tommorow depending on the Rain... got some things to check out on the timing and the idle circuits. The car is plates and sticker ready to drive.

Richard richie49

PJ McCoy and Darius like this.