my poor dead engine

richie49

Reaction score
48 Austin
That is one of the things I'm looking at. The tank is vented by the gas cap(supposibly) There is no extra hose area to vent that way but my tank is a 65 mustang style tank.I have a metal neck pipe with cap running to the tank and connected by a hose. I can take the neck out drill a hole and put in a universal tank vent so it doesn't rely on the cap.
I went out today and the dang car is running great. I had takened the cap off and put it back on loose before heading home last night. So that may have been it. My son said Dad that car has an attitude! :oops: :laugh: He lives 350 or so miles away so he isn't around a lot but I have taken him for 3 rides and all three acted up!(those 3 were with a bad quadrajet,flooding, now its fuel injected)
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score

This above link offers clues for backfiring though a carb – which could be the same problem source for a throttle-body.

“A lean condition due to an intake manifold air leak can cause backfiring. Carburetor jetting: An overly-lean low-speed circuit, non-functioning accelerator pump or clogged pilot jet can contribute to backfiring.

Intake manifold air leak: A lean condition due to ...
Carburetor jetting: An overly-lean low-speed ci...
Ignition: The factory Evolution engine's ignition ...
Cam design: Long duration cams with early op...”

“Spitting and coughing can also be commonly caused by the accelerator pump in the carb not squirting enough fuel before the main jets start working. If you spit the instant you blip the throttle, then it's probably the accelerator pump in the carb not working, or not squirting enough fuel, so the engine takes a gulp of air and goes lean, which causes the spit back-up through the carb. This could mean that it's plugged up with some dirt, or a piece of something that got through your fuel filter, or it could just be out of adjustment or maybe the accelerator pump itself has just gone bad and can't squirt any fuel anymore. That's not too uncommon if the carb is a bit old.

So... when, and how, it backfires, or spits, will give you an indication for where to start looking so you can fix it.”

These two links offer you a place to start looking.

Best of luck,

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
I checked with Holley Sniper forum and they said that if the tank wasn't vented it would cause the engine to run lean and do the things you found . It was simply trying to pull against the the vacumn and the fuel was having a tuff time getting to the engine. Kinda weird. BUT the car is running great again :whistle: I hope:lipsaresealed: I'm thinking of pulling the gas neck off and drilling a hole and soldering a small nipple and hooking a hose to a roll over vent from jegs.
Thanks for the info you found.How do you find all this so easly? I can never ask the right question to find stuff .I ask and it will say 252,000 answers and the first 300 are about some stuff not even related:oops::rolleyes:o_O:laugh:
Richard richie49

48Austin

Safety First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Darius
I checked with Holley Sniper forum and they said that if the tank wasn't vented it would cause the engine to run lean and do the things you found . It was simply trying to pull against the the vacumn and the fuel was having a tuff time getting to the engine. Kinda weird. BUT the car is running great again :whistle: I hope:lipsaresealed: I'm thinking of pulling the gas neck off and drilling a hole and soldering a small nipple and hooking a hose to a roll over vent from jegs.
Thanks for the info you found.How do you find all this so easly? I can never ask the right question to find stuff .I ask and it will say 252,000 answers and the first 300 are about some stuff not even related:oops::rolleyes:o_O:laugh:
Richard richie49
Darius IS THE GURU.

richie49

Reaction score
48Austin
You got that right! Bro D is the GURU!

Temporally I drilled holes in the cap behind the vent spring.The cap is supposed to vent under the cap in little groves but the dang rubber seal to the gas neck stops that. Anyway I'm going to drive the car just Like I did saturday to Kemah and see how it works.Seems to be running good and 194-196 temps.Thats good but still it's a 180 stat it should run cooler.
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Where is your temperature gauge located in relation to your thermostat housing?

richie49

Reaction score
Temp guage is next to thermostat housing under where the a/c goes. I drove back to the same spot as Saturday and the temps went from 192-198. Engine sounded good but started getting fussy as I pulled in to park.Threw into reverse and it died again!! Also wouldn't start.:mad: Took the gas cap off and cycled the sniper twice and it started and ran great at anything over 1300 rpm. The idle was very rough. I think the sniper was messed up the tune it had trying to make up for the tank not venting (it was pulling a vacumn some with the tank not venting) (I think) I'm going to check plugs to see what they look like.
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I put a Holley 19-174 vent on my Malibu mounted above the tank. Works like a charm. No more vacuum or pressure.