my poor dead engine

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I did do a test run on the car. When I drove around at 30-35 mph it stayed at 183-186. Then at 45-60mph it stayed at 195 for about 45 minutes.After that it slowly climbed up to 200* .When I slowed down to 30 again it started going back dow to190 or so. Hoping to get that down some more with a better timing curve.
As far as the timing with the sniper I havn't a clue yet. I did notice that when steady driving(cruise area) the timing didnt advance above 21*. But when I slowly pushed on the pedal to get a little more speed the timing would advance all the way up to 25* to 38* but as soon as I leveled off it goes back to 21*. I can change things on the spark and fuel and the spark shows advancing at 1400 rpm, (on the laptop software)but I am missing something. Hate to try too much and wipe out what is working now. Can only read so much before My eyes blur.
Where's that beer at?
Richard richie49
Man you're moving in the right direction.

Darius

Reaction score
I did do a test run on the car. When I drove around at 30-35 mph it stayed at 183-186. Then at 45-60mph it stayed at 195 for about 45 minutes.After that it slowly climbed up to 200* .When I slowed down to 30 again it started going back dow to190 or so. Hoping to get that down some more with a better timing curve.
As far as the timing with the sniper I havn't a clue yet. I did notice that when steady driving(cruise area) the timing didnt advance above 21*. But when I slowly pushed on the pedal to get a little more speed the timing would advance all the way up to 25* to 38* but as soon as I leveled off it goes back to 21*. I can change things on the spark and fuel and the spark shows advancing at 1400 rpm, (on the laptop software)but I am missing something. Hate to try too much and wipe out what is working now. Can only read so much before My eyes blur.
Where's that beer at?
Richard richie49
Happy to hear that those high temperatures you were experiencing are now history. I suspect you are right about temperatures getting even lower, and more stable, when the timing advance get further sorted out. Speaking of which, I read through the "instructions" on that Sniper and it has some neat capacity. It will take you getting comfortable with the "timing map" which is much like a "fuel map" but you've come this far and I have no doubts you can make it through this last step. (Hey, I can't remember the details of the Sniper but most systems have a place to "store" your tune. That puts things in a safe place while you dink around trying different timing/fuel maps. If a new tune doesn't work, you simply reinstall the saved tune!)

Good On Ya!!

bro. d

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
Sure hope so.The temps are much better. AND the fan is fantastic, thanks again on that! I still have some stuff to do on the front of the car to direct air flow and make it look better since I cut the front open some more.(under the bumper.Just cound't cut a grill into the front and lose the corvair look). Also on the 400 kickdown switch ,I wired up the a/c kickout which is supposed to turn off the a/c when running high RPM.It now supplies current to the trans and works great.I can set it to come on at any tps setting,right now it's at 65%,may go to 55-60%
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
I have been working on the corvair again.Put a air damn on the front and set the fans to work on sniper controll. I havn't done any tuning on the sniper yet.I took it out yesterday and ran into a problem. The engine rattles bad when I kick it. Now my ears are bad almost deaf so the other times I drove it I might not have heard it. I dont think I missed the rattling before. When I have passenger none have said anything about the rattling and they do know enough about engines to mention it to me.At full throttle the engine timing goes to 34* .At any easy throttle it doesn't rattle.Any throttle other than WOT seems to be okay. I pulled the plugs and checked them they were all running clean,regapped them and reinstalled.Gap is .045 The idle timing is set at 18 for now.Timing from18 to 21* doesn't change idle roughness. The idle is rougher than usual.The main thing that I know changed is that I filled up with gas from a different station. Generally rattling is from too much timing ,but I have heard bad gas will do the same. Should I drain the gas and refill or just drive it easy till it gets low then refill? Anything else to check? Oil pressure is 55 at 2100 rpm and 21 at idle hot if that makes a difference.
Richard richie49

cadillac512

Reaction score
Lower octane fuel will definitely be more prone to ping than higher will. It's safe to take it easy and burn up that fuel, but maybe you could retard the timing a bit and see how it does?
How soon (rpm wise) does timing advance to 34? If it goes there at any rpm as soon as throttle goes wide open then that's not so good. Needs a smooth progression as rpm rises. Too much too soon and detonation develops and you hear the rattle. As engine speed rises detonation has less time per firing stroke to develop and more timing can be used.

Terry

richie49

Reaction score
Cadillac 512
I have no ideal how soon it hits 34 * when nailing the throttle. Generally I have no time to watch the hand held screen to watch the timing come up. The engine goes up on rpm very quickly because of the 2500 stall converter. I have to pay attention to the road. I'll set the WOT timing to 32* or 30* and see what it does. I will also check the static timing with the timing light and make sure the timing and hand screen are showing the same timing.
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
Just gonna update the last post.
I ran the engine to warm it up then I set the static timing to 12* The timing has to match up.if the screen says 12* then the timing at the balencer should match. It was showing 16* so I reset the timing to 12 at the balencer.Cranked it up and after a few seconds it idled really nice. BUT now it breaks up with rpm over 2200 rpm. I have different timing marks on the balencer so I might have set it 10 * off.I just shook my head and closed the hood ,guess it will set till tomorrow. I think I'll
pull cap off and see if anything is loose in the distributer. The distributer wasn't loose.
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
Got up this morning and went out to check on the corvair.On my balencer I have marks every 10*.
I used the wrong one(brain fart).I pulled the cap every thing checked out under the cap so I reset timing as close as I could and let it warm up. I set it on static timing at 12 and the balencer at 12*. It now runs great at WOT and has very little rattle noise at part throttle between 1st and 2nd. Starts good idle is not the smoothest at 108 LSA. when driving anything under 35 mph it starts cooling down and any mph over that it slowly heats up to 208 to 211. I can now drive it :)
Richard richie49

cadillac512

Reaction score
Great! You're making good progress now...time to get some miles on it. One "bug" at a time, right?

Terry
(by the way...I do love the sound of a 108 lsa idle)

richie49

Reaction score
Well friday turned out to not be great. Since the corvair ran so good and was behaving I decided
to go to the local car meet.Just people parking and showing off their car and looking others over.
Since the car ran great earlier I put the hand held screen off to the side and took off :) about 3-4 miles down the road the car smelled hot so I looked at the temp and the car was at 265* and steam started blowing out the hood. The fan never came on.I checked the fan and it still works great ,apparently the NEW relay failed. Hopefully the engine isn't hurt. I checked this morning and the engine turns over and sounds okay but I have to refill radiator and run to see if it burned a head gasket or anything else.:mad: Once the engine checks out I'm going to put a Light to show if the fan is running. The sniper showed it was running or was being activated.Wasn't.
Richard richie49

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
Well friday turned out to not be great. Since the corvair ran so good and was behaving I decided
to go to the local car meet.Just people parking and showing off their car and looking others over.
Since the car ran great earlier I put the hand held screen off to the side and took off :) about 3-4 miles down the road the car smelled hot so I looked at the temp and the car was at 265* and steam started blowing out the hood. The fan never came on.I checked the fan and it still works great ,apparently the NEW relay failed. Hopefully the engine isn't hurt. I checked this morning and the engine turns over and sounds okay but I have to refill radiator and run to see if it burned a head gasket or anything else.:mad: Once the engine checks out I'm going to put a Light to show if the fan is running. The sniper showed it was running or was being activated.Wasn't.
Richard richie49
Her man, don't get discouraged. Like Terry said, one thing at a time. Being methodical, help of a check list, has been a huge time saver and my frustration levels have been lower as well.
Thanks for sharing Rich. You will get it worked out.

richie49

Reaction score
Thanks P.J.
The car had ran great all day till I took off to go show it off. Very fustraiting. Thats the one thing about electric fans,you can't always trust them like a mechanical fan. I'm going to set it up where a light will come on if the fan isn't on. I wonder if you can hook up two relays so if one doesn't flip the fan on the other would? It was weild that it failed because it was responding great all day,cyling great on and off.I hope to get on it later to check it over. Going to grandaughters softball games in a while so it might be tommorow,ain't gonna miss her games :)
Richard richie49
Wife didnt get the burnout,the video quit just as I started but I got the pic of the tire marks.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.JPG
    IMG_2647.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

cadillac512

Reaction score
Sure, you can just put two relays in parallel so they both turn on every time. A relay requires very little power to energize so that's not a concern. Just wire in another relay the same way the first one is wired in and you'll have a backup.
If the block and heads still had water in them when it got hot you'll probably be ok. If the heads go dry bad things can happen.

Terry
p.s. The relay is rated high enough for the amperage draw of the fans,correct?

richie49

Reaction score
cadillac 512
The relay was rated at 60 amps. As far as the cooliant ,I'm going out to check now.The engine steamed for a long time so dont know how much was left in the engine.
Richard richie49

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Beware of the relays or circuit breakers that come with the electric fan wiring kits. They are total garbage. Next time you are at the junkyard grab about 4 or 5 factory Bosch relays out of newer cars along with a handful of fuses. They seldom charge you for small items like fuses or relays if you are buying something else over $20. Keep the spares in your glovebox along with spare bulbs.

Terry's idea of parallel relays is a good fail safe.

I run an electric Crown Vic PI fan on my bronco, but off a manual switch. It is loud so I know if it is on or not if I am not moving. I can also see the voltage drop on the voltmeter. I have a temp sensor I am going to hook up then will trigger the relay to light up a light on my dash so I know its getting hot and I need to manually turn the fan on. Yes, I could use the same relay to turn on the fan, but if the temp sensor fails I want to be able to still turn on the fan manually.

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
I might have missed it but what are you using to trigger the fan relay?

richie49

Reaction score
Psycholic
I'm using the output on the sniper setup for fans. I found out that the relay I had was not a 60 amp but a 40/30 amp which is way to close in spec to run the tauras fan for long times. I messed up by not checking the rating ,but just assuming :( Any way I went and got a 80 amp relay which has heavier blades for the current in and out but normal blades for the trigger wires. I was happy looking at the relay BUT guess what ? The relay wont fit in the harness so hopefully the new harness's will come today.
Caddylackn
I like the idea to go get some from a wrecking yard, which is what I used to do. I have a lot of trouble walking so I'm not sure I can go that route anymore,but thanks for the suggestion. I tried to find a relay listed for the taurus fan or what ever runs it but couldn't find one. This new relay in a set of two should fix the fan setup.
As soon as the dang harness's get here I will be able to test drive the car again(I always seem to be test driving I'm ready to just drive the car:rofl: )
Richard richie49

Psychoholic

Reaction score
72 Miller Meteor
Are they wired as one circuit or have independent plugs? I have a pair of fans I'm going to be running but I'm going to put them on their own 30A relay circuits since I can trigger then each from the Megasquirt.

richie49

Reaction score
Psycholic
The relays are two seperate relays that I'm wiring in so they both operate at the same time on the same fan,just a precaution in case one doesnt work. Before I can do that I have to check on the sniper being able to ground both relays with out overloading the ground circuit. I read that the ground can only handle so much. Gotta check it out.
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
I feel your paranoia. I’d wire a single suitable relay and the activation light that you mentioned.