my poor dead engine

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Looks really good Richard. How close are you to taking a drive?

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. Richie,

Sweeeet! :cool: Nice execution of a challenging placement. That engine compartment is about as small and tight as my '50 Studebaker.
Looking at the little things like the hold down brackets, cross bracing, positioning of relays and wiring, routing of hoses - speaks to the time is takes to get from here to there - ESPECIALLY during a High Heat Spell!

By the way, your radiator shroud and fan setup is a lot cleaner than mine. Wish we could trade! :D

Best,

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Caddylackin
I tried to take another pic but they all look crooked :rolleyes: I tried,they make the radiator look off.I even measured it ! its' like 1/8 inch off.
Bro D
Your setup looked pretty good to me. If you wanna trade ,we could but this fan is actully 16.5 inchs and yours is close to 18. That would take a while for me to stuff in this thing :oops: :rofl: It was a challenge.
5one9
What I have next is the trans cooler.I got it figured out but cant make brackets for another few hours.After I get it mounted I got to get hoses to run to new location(probably 4-6 feet ) .After that check fluids ,battery and hopefully fire it up.I will still have to put the air dam on.Hopefully I won't have to open up between the headlights for air flow.I dont want to ruin the front look of the car.
Hopefully Murpy won't show up.
Richard richie49:rofl:

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Well on Fri I did make the brackets and installed the cooler!:) Then it was late (for me) like 5 oclock:rofl: I was tired so I didn't make it to the parts house for fittings and hose. Did manage to get out and find the hose and barb connectors ,today to connect the hose to reach the cooler and then went with the missus shopping o_O So maybe tommorow I can fire it up.
Richard

richie49

Reaction score
i finnaly got back out and finished the cooler. I checked all the fluids ,filled the radiator ,crossed my fingers and fired it up. No leaks,thank god. I didn't get to road test it yet.I have todo a few things and clean around it. BUT
I went ahead and let it get hot.I left the fan off and let it get up to 205* and turned on the fan. The car is under a carport where it is HOT, heat index of a 103 (finally got a cool dayo_O) It didnt take very long but it dropped the temp all the way to 181. The thermostat is a hi flow 180* I let it run for a while at various RPM'S from idle to 2500. It didn't get any higher than 181:oops:. So that does look promising. Kinda scared to go road test it:laugh:

Richard richie49 P.S.It's not much but here's a pic of the cooler setup

Attachments

richie49

Reaction score
Didn't get to road test the car today. It's all ready but the missus and I spent what little energy we had getting everything buttuned up for the 2 hurricans
coming in.
Hope everybody that is in the path come thru it Okay

Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
Good wishes to you Richard. I can't imagine.

richie49

Reaction score
I have no idea whats going on. The weather says be prepared so we got loose stuff taken care,everything that can get ruined off the garage floor ect ect.
We havn't even got rain yet ,one went to one side and the other went to La. Hope they are ok.
Richard richie49
P.S. and galveston just south of us is under mandtory evacuation? Storm surge I think.

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Still havn't roadtested the car. Have had a bad week so far. Not from the weather,that missed us and hit lousianna. Just not feeling great at all.
Hopefully I can get out in a while.I'll post results when i get back.The heat index is 108 to 112*. If it behaves today it's going to be golden. Fingers are crossed for a good drive.
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Still havn't roadtested the car. Have had a bad week so far. Not from the weather,that missed us and hit lousianna. Just not feeling great at all.
Hopefully I can get out in a while.I'll post results when i get back.The heat index is 108 to 112*. If it behaves today it's going to be golden. Fingers are crossed for a good drive.
Richard richie49
Let's see: "Just not feeling great at all," and "The heat index is 108 to 112*"

Are you certain that you didn't die already and somehow, mistakenly of course, wound up in Hell?

Prayers are a comin'.

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
Sometimes I fill like I'm in hell. I did get out to road test and see how it cooled. I got it out from under the car port and it started raining. Later I took it to the store around the corned to get gas( didn't need to run out of that). Went to start it and it didn't:mad: Waited a few seconds and it started just as the rain came down and my wipers didnt want to work unless I held the switch. So in the rain I took off and ran down the road for a little bit. I was watching the temp on the sniper hand held. It went 181,183,185, all the way up to 205 crap. Guess what I turned the dang fan off so it wouldn't kill the battery while starting at the store!!:( That fan pulls some amps! By then it was raining big time so I headed home after turning the fan on... I was only a block from home and the temp went back down to185 when I parked at the house.Wasn't much of a road test but it did cool down pretty nicely. Got to try again with a longer test.
Richard richie49

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
205? Sounds normal in 110 degree temps. My TA cycles between 195-210. That's my new normal. I don't sweat it any more. I'd prefer 185.

Darius

Reaction score
PJ,

Does it get that hot in the Outer Banks of North Carolina? Or is that not your location?

d

richie49

Reaction score
PJ
I dont think it would have got up to 205 if I had the fan on when I left the store.After I turned it on the temps went down to 185 pretty quick. The rain at the time brought the temps down outside kinda low (90 or so) The car has sat for a while and it seemed like it was missing so a longer drive is in order.If the cooling system is working out( I think it is going to be good) I have to dig in the sniper wiring harness to find the #1 fan circit and have the sniper control the fan. And of course fix the wiper switch. darn thing supplies the ground not power to the wipers. It's getting there. :)

Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
I think you’re already there. You’ve made a big improvement and you’re at about the same temps as I hang around. Don’t over expect. Go over enjoy.

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
PJ,

Does it get that hot in the Outer Banks of North Carolina? Or is that not your location?

d
Yea it does. Mostly 90+ From july-Aug. But this year has been warmer with temps around 98-101. The Humidity makes it hard for me. Hot is hot and I am not taking anything away from that. My brother in Az, said to me, try putting a blow dryer in your face for 3 hours. That's what its like to ride a Harley in AZ. Lol. BTW, I took the car off the road in prep for lots of changes. Fuel lines, under hood wiring, welding, rear end removal and some much needed rust repair.

richie49

Reaction score
I think Murphy likes my house! So far I have tried 4 times to drive the car. As soon as I drive down the road it RAINS.
So far the longest I have got was 20 minutes:mad:. The temp from 182 to 202 back to 190 up down,stays under 200 most of the time :) .I can live with that.But I think I dont have enough air flow from the front of the car, gonna open up some more and put air dam on.Also I think some air is being rotated from thru the radiator back around to the front . The car seems to be missing some but when you give it the throttle it pulls really good.Cant play with it because it RAINS so far every time that car hits the road. The holley sniper for some reason was set up to open all 4 barrels at a time. Being used to a quadrajet which open full only after 1/2 pedal or more makes it kinda hard to keep from spinning the tire when taking off. I have the progressive linkage to put on but it's a pain to put on and make it work correctly ( I havn't tried but a lot of people are having trouble from what I have found on line.) I dont want to mess with it yet. At least I can drive it.
We have car meets on fri and sat at different places so I cant wait to get back to one. Dont do much but talk about different rides and BS normal stuff but it's fun.
Richard richie49 p.s. We have had more rain since the hurricanes passed than when they did hit land.