my poor dead engine

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
Thanks about the fan..Right now We dont have to worry about the sun. We are on the wet side of the hurricane out hitting Corpus Christi

Getting some rain now
Richard richie49

mario

Reaction score
Bro d:
Sounds like you have a slight crackle in your voice. I remember your voice being more baritone than that... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ciao,
Mario

Darius

Reaction score
Bro d:
Sounds like you have a slight crackle in your voice. I remember your voice being more baritone than that... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Ciao,
Mario
Hormone treatments?

da HWC

richie49

Reaction score
Got a little progress to show.Thanks to Bro Darius I have a Tauras fan to put in the corvair. The fans I took out were a set from a windstar ford.Those fans were 13 inch and a 15 inch set.The fans were not new when I got them and while on the car they seemed to move a lot of air. Dont know if they were slowly dieing or what but they were not moving a lot of air. I checked them against the taurus fan and it was supprising.Both of the windstar fans did not put out as much as the taurus fan did. If I did not already have the new radiator I would put the old radiator back in matched up with the taurus fan. I havn't got much done yet but I am making the shroud from sheet metal I'm bending the metal on the lines and it will fit over the radiator on top and bottom and the side tabs will fit up to the radiator .After that I will cut the hole for fan to slide up in from the backside and secure it.Hopefully it will come out ok.( getting kinda rough on fabbing now adays) I also like to thank bro d for the design :) for the shroud.

Attachments

richie49

Reaction score
Well hell ,Got home from doctor visit and my middle son is mowing the yard. Thought I was going to have a heart attack from the suprise. Then while I looking at the sheet metal to bend ,I told him what I was gonna do. So I went inside to rest to start my attempt at bending metal and I see him go past the window ,no big deal.I ate lunch and he comes back in and shows me this shroud. He had taken it to where he works and had it bent for me. He saved me a lot of work (and likely cussing ) Now I have to cut the hole for the fan and mount it!! Looking great

Attachments

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Dang. You’ll have to keep to kid around

richie49

Reaction score
Got a little more done! Got the fan hole cut into the shroud and the shroud painted. Still have to secure the fan with some l-shape brackets. And I have a question! My corvair has no bling or flashy stuff under the engine hood and the aluminum radiator kinda look out of place. I do not want to paint the fins themselves but thinking of painting the tanks black to blend in with the rest of the engine compartment, will painting the tanks hurt the cooling because of the paint ?
Richard richie49

Attachments

Darius

Reaction score
That looks nice! I hope that cutting the center hole went easier for you than it did for me. Mine was an absolute bear.

About the black paint: some paint can insulate heat while other paint can dissipate heat. So, the answer would depend on the paint you choose. Which paint to go with? Hell if I know. :eek:
Keeping it natural looks nice, but since you've painted the shroud I can understand the tanks will stand out. Anyway, I'm no frickin help so time for me to just shut up.

d

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
The shroud is made of sheetmetal so I painted it so it wouldnt rust out on me. I read your post last night before bed and did a little checking on the paint
apparently black absorbs as much as dissipates heat ,so its a tossup.
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
A light coat of the cheapest flat black aerosol that you can find won't cause any issues, even on the core. Radiators were painted for years. Just no reason to overdo it if you're just wanting to take the shine off.

richie49

Reaction score
yesterday was a bummer. got the fan,shroud,radiator together and dropped in place! :oops: it didnt fit. darn thing hit on the steering box on the bottom driver side. So out it came and sometime today I hope to get back on it. Today the heat index is only 104* ,yesterday was 108*. Going to try to shape the shround
so it doesn't hit. At least it is where it wont show!!:rofl: ( the new shroud shape for clearance.)
Richard richie49.

5one9

Reaction score
yesterday was a bummer. got the fan,shroud,radiator together and dropped in place! :oops: it didnt fit. darn thing hit on the steering box on the bottom driver side. So out it came and sometime today I hope to get back on it. Today the heat index is only 104* ,yesterday was 108*. Going to try to shape the shround
so it doesn't hit. At least it is where it wont show!!:rofl: ( the new shroud shape for clearance.)
Richard richie49.
Hey at least the heat index is lower:p

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
It’s a cool 101 here in San Antonio. Kind of makes me want to wait until Fall to get back to work and the strip with my car
Greg Surfas

PJ McCoy

Reaction score
That looks nice! I hope that cutting the center hole went easier for you than it did for me. Mine was an absolute bear.

About the black paint: some paint can insulate heat while other paint can dissipate heat. So, the answer would depend on the paint you choose. Which paint to go with? Hell if I know. :eek:
Keeping it natural looks nice, but since you've painted the shroud I can understand the tanks will stand out. Anyway, I'm no frickin help so time for me to just shut up.

d
Brother D, can I send out a huge Thank You!!! As long as I have been one this forum you Sir, have been inspiring in so many different ways to so many. Today I read that you sent the fan to Richie, Which is a thread I've been following from the beginning,Great Job Richie,
I hope so many more, including myself, will pick up the mantel and do the same. You are an inspiration. Now if we could help you with singing lessons, that Annie song was horrible and not fitting to our Bro.D, Just saying.

Richie, I am so glad to get caught up on your corvair. Even better was the mowed lawn and shroud. Grid does work in mysterious ways. Lol

Darius

Reaction score
Brother D, can I send out a huge Thank You!!! As long as I have been one this forum you Sir, have been inspiring in so many different ways to so many. Today I read that you sent the fan to Richie, Which is a thread I've been following from the beginning,Great Job Richie,
I hope so many more, including myself, will pick up the mantel and do the same. You are an inspiration. Now if we could help you with singing lessons, that Annie song was horrible and not fitting to our Bro.D, Just saying.

Richie, I am so glad to get caught up on your corvair. Even better was the mowed lawn and shroud. Grid does work in mysterious ways. Lol
... and so does God!!

Bro. PJ, Hello stranger!

Nice to see you back. Don't be estranged as we need the hands-on knowledge you've gained by putting your project on the road! That is something a lot of us have yet to accomplish! :cry:

Thanks for the 'shout out' but you give me far more credit than I deserve. Each of us contributes one way or another. Sometime we give hardware, other times encouragement or advice, and low-ball prices on excess parts are always appreciated. And frankly, that is what it takes; People working to help one another.

Over the years other posters have been major contributors to my slow moving project and their help is greatly appreciated and will long be remembered. Just recently Bro. Mario sent me one of those desirable Volvo fan controllers - along with the temp sensor. That is what we do, help one another!! Yes, let's continue doing that - in whatever way we can.

I don't know who the old dude is but that looks like one of those Volvo fan controllers. NICE!!

bro. d

(Thanks again, Bro. Mario) :thumbup:

(PJ, about my singing: I used to make good money singing. Each time I started my buddies would offer me money to stop! Go figure! :p)

Attachments

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
glad to see all of you weighing in on this mess of a radiator install.

As PJ has said Bro Darius has been extremely helpfully to a lot of people and has helped me a LOT. And besides that bro Darius has be very incouranging also. Thanks again Darius.
Darius on the cutting of the hole for the fan,I used a little body saw with a thin blade and after drawing a circle I freehand cut it and used a stone on a few spots to finish it out. Worked pretty good.
OK now to a progress report. I had to throw out plan a,b,c,d,e,and I am not sure if it's f or g that has worked.o_OThat dang thing has been moved up down tilted up ,tilted down .dang thing hit the hood the steering box BUT it now fits!!!! It isnt secured yet ,I have to make the upper brackets to hold it in. The shrould isnt really sealed up very good now,but I'm going to seal it up with aluminum tape you use to seal up a/c plenums. If anyone has another way to seal it up,let me know. After this is finished up I then have to find HOSES that might work. For the lower hose the caddy hose may work. For the top I have no ideal at the moment. Ya'll all know what s going to happen. What car is this going on is their first question from the parts store, you think they can find it when I say 1965 corvair with a caddy 500 on a 1985 frame :oops::rofl:, used to know a parts person that would let me go back and look for something that might work (he's long gone)and with this distancing Its gonna be fun to find the top hose.
And it's still HOT or raining.....
Richard richie49 It's getting there. I'll post pics in the next few days.

richie49

Reaction score
I finally got some done on the corvair. Radiator is in and secured.I got tired of trying to find hoses that would work so I got hose cut them up for the 90* and 45* bends ands made them to fit. Kinda like I did for the rear radiator setup.I had to reroute my fuel injection supply hose to the other side of bay to the passenger side. The fan is set and connected up for power and it pulls a lot of air thru the radator. Right now it's connected to a key on switch with no automatic temp control. Later when I can test it and get it all working correctly I will connect it to the sniper fi control. Right now the holdup for driving is where to put the dang trans cooler. There's not much room left for it. I'm sure the new radiator will cool the engine if there is enough air getting to the radiator. I'm going to put the air dam on if I can.That will force air up into the front 'if not I will put HI and LOW beams in the outer lights and put srceens in where the original high beams are.
I know the trans cooler needs air over it to cool it down but how much is needed? They sell coolers for the framewells so I wonder if I can set it under the body? I guess if I want to I can put it in the back where the radiator was with a little fan attached.:rolleyes:( I have a cooler with a fan on it,if I can get lines back there) It's been very rough with heat index's of 104* TO 112* to getting this far on the car.
Richard richie49

Attachments

richie49

Reaction score
Was looking at the pics and it looks like the radiator is in crooked. But it is straight!:rolleyes: :rofl:
Richard richie49