48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Don't you mean when Corona :crap: ends?

Darius

Reaction score
Just another point of interest. Just got back from a 20 mile jaunt, mostly at 60 MPH. With the outside temp at 91* I was running a constant 185 degrees with a 160 degree thermostat and a "stock" Cu/Brass 4 row radiator. Running 34 degrees total mechanical advance at 3000 RPM (60 = 3000) and NO vacuum advance involved.
When I came back to city streets and switched on the vacuum advance The twin 16 inch fans held the temperature to 195* but at idle at a stop light the temp went up to 200* and stayed there.
Greg Surfas

Bro. Greg,

Just wondering why you didn't have vacuum advance hooked up while doing the highway run?

bro. d

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Good question bro.d. I turn the vacuum off when the revs get close to 3000 in high gear. When I first started breaking the motor in I left the vacuum on. It took me a while to figure that the "surging" I was getting at 65 and 70 MPH was not the engine coming on the cam but too much advance. At 60 mph in cruise I am pulling between 17 and 18 inches of vacuum which "floors" the vacuum can. At cruise the vacuum advance is intended to improve mileage, but at my 7 MPG is good enough for the use this car is going to get.
I need the vacuum advance for idle and low speeds to keep it cool and let it idle.
Compromise, compromise, compromise.
Greg Surfas

Darius

Reaction score
https://www.holley.com/products/ign...ccessories/distributor_components/parts/31035

https://documents.holley.com/accel_instructions_vacuum_advance_gm_hei_v8_31035.pdf

Bro. Greg,

That makes perfect sense. Too much advance at cruise can cause the engine stuttering, bucking that you experienced.

I’m sure that you are aware of adjustable vacuum advance canisters, but in case others on the list aren’t here are a couple of links about how to set them.

By the way, what camshaft do you have in that engine? Those are impressive vacuum numbers - especially to a guy living at 4390 Ft. Elevation.

Best,

bro. d

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
bro d.
If you are talking about me I live in San Antonio, Texas, elevation 790 Ft.MSL. The adjustable Vacuum canisters limit the maximum advance. I need a good 10 degrees at 5 inches which is what my motor will pull if I only have the Initial 14* mechanical advance. If the 10* was my vacuum it would be way too much at 3000 RPM and a total mechanical and initial advance of 34* Hense, I turn the vacuum off when I am in cruise at 3000 RPM. If that was the only compromise I have to make to drive this thing on the street (no AC in Southern Texas) I would be very happy.The cam is an MTS (Lunati) roller 240/253* at 0.050 on 112* LCL.
Greg Surfas

richie49

Reaction score
Okay ,i have a little to report on my corvair, not much but since the temps on my cooling system do not want to stay somewhat stable I am going to a front mounted radiator. I have a 4 row 5/8 tube radiator 33 1/2 inch wide and 18.8 high. If you look back at the pics you will see I have very little room for it. The
spot it will set in doesnt actually have room. Due to measuring the space wrong(shape of hood) I am fighting it to fit. I think I got that figured out but not fixed up yet.. I'm going with the manual fan 17 inch blade with 7 blades . I believe I have that all going my way. It'll be sometime late july before I get it set in and running. Going up to montana for family business so its going to set for a while (again:rofl:)
The one thing I want to check on is the shroud. Between space and the position of radiator to the fan its going to be very hard for a normal shroud to fit. Won't be able to buy one with a good shape to fit. So it's going to be hand made to fit the available room and seal it up for full flow. What is actually the question is the shape of the shroud. I can box it in mostly with the top curved to fit around fan to flow air to the fan using all the radiator fins and area. Will the square box on the corners going to mess up the flow?
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
No, the square box on the corners will NOT mess up the air flow.

Enjoy Montana. Its a lot cooler than South Texas this time of the year. - Hell, any time of the year!

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Got delayed a bit,so heading out to montana on Sat or Sun.
I did get to do some on the corvair.Darn if I know it's good ,bad,lucky or unlucky? The radiator turned out o be somewhat too big. So I made a radiator mount to go under the radiator. Seeing its a little too tall I put the mount in but on a floor jack and raised it up and down till the radiator was a 1/2 inch from the hood. Home made play doah works great ,put it on all the areas that might hit and close hood. Then all you gotta do is measure what wasn't squised. So I carefully moved the radiator off the mount,not moving mount or jack.Marked everything and pulled mount drilled for holes ect..Put the dang thing in bolted it up, it looked good The mount was on the jack that wasn't MOVED!!!:crap: Put the radiator on it and the dam__ thing was 2 inchs off the hood:eek:o_O. Doesn't take much to imagine what was said! Thing is while I was saying bad words....:lipsaresealed: I looked at the shroud I had tried but was too tall too fit ,but now it fits under hood. I cleaned up some things and the shroud will work great,BUT the radiator is now lower than what I wanted. You can look at the pics and see how it looks. I dont like it that low but I'm going to see what it looks like after I put a heavy piece of angle iron in front of the radiator to protect it.I have a air dam that will hide it I hope. I believe I can hide it and protect it. Never bottoned out car so far so it should work:oops: t To be continued in July:(hopefully:rofl:
Richard richie49 P.S. any gaps will be closed in on the radiator and shroud.

Attachments

• IMG_2103.JPG
    IMG_2103.JPG
    377.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2156.JPG
    IMG_2156.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2184.JPG
    IMG_2184.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2185.JPG
    IMG_2185.JPG
    358.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2186 2.JPG
    IMG_2186 2.JPG
    343.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
While posting earlier I was looking at the bracket and how far down it was sitting. With the angle of the pic it looks somewhat low. So I went out and measured it from the bottom of the bracket to the ground. i have 10 inchs clearance. My springs wont compress that much. With bracing some angle iron in front of the radiator support to prevent damage from running into something ,I believe it will work out okay. Just got to try to make it look Okay.That will be when I get back.
Richard richie49

5one9

Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
Looks good Richard. I believe that you'll see positive results.

Cadillac Kid 1

Reaction score
Richie,
Your fan blade has to come within about 1/4 inch of the opening otherwise it will just recirculate the air at the blade.I believe you said you are using a 17" fan. Looks like you are over an 18" opening.
Greg Surfas

richie49

Reaction score
Greg
The opening is probably for a 20 inch blade. The largest I can go is the 17 inch before it hits the shroud that is VERY close to the hood.I was thinking of laying the shroud on a piece of sheet metal and draw a circle and cut it out and that will close the gap when I attach that to the shroud . Thanks for reminding me to put that on the list, Dang list is LARGE :rofl:.
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
Well got back home to texas from montana and there is a difference from 56 to 85 at the most in temps to coming home to Pasadena in 98 with a heat index of a 104 the first day back to 105 index the next day. Had to fix my daily driver which decided to drop a coil 600 miles from home. Did anyone know that with a GM if you have a check engine code you no longer have cruise till its fixed:oops: Never knew I relyed on that cruise so much.
Been trying to do some work on the corvair but it's either 104 -105 or RAINING!!!!:( Trying to pull fans off the rear radiator and check them for fit. Depending if they can fit and work correctly I might go that way because of the cooling at any rpm. I'm going to test them for amp pull and no ideal how to test cfm flow.
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
I got out on the corvair and got the radiators and fans out of the back. They look like a no go. They do pull some air but not like I think they shoud or what I thought they did. After looking at the fans I think if I had pulled them and put a mark8 fan on the radiator it would have been enough. BUT I do not want to try that and not have it work out. ( I would have tried if I didnt have that new aluminum radiator that I cant use back there.) Always something . Checking to see if I can fit the mark 8 or tauras fan up front.
Richard richie49

Red98422

Reaction score
I got out on the corvair and got the radiators and fans out of the back. They look like a no go. They do pull some air but not like I think they shoud or what I thought they did. After looking at the fans I think if I had pulled them and put a mark8 fan on the radiator it would have been enough. BUT I do not want to try that and not have it work out. ( I would have tried if I didnt have that new aluminum radiator that I cant use back there.) Always something . Checking to see if I can fit the mark 8 or tauras fan up front.
Richard richie49

im pretty sure the Taurus fan is still one of the go to fans from the wrecking yards for electric fan conversions, I’ve been around a few and when kicked to high move some SERIOUS air.

no experience with the Mk IV personally...I think I remember reading at one point that @Darius hooked one up and launched a bunch of electronic bits around his shop...which is to say “sufficiently” moved some air around

richie49

Reaction score
Red
The taurus fan has the same motor as the mark 8 but while the taurus has 17 inch blades the mark 8 has 18 inch blades. On Darius's post on his Stude he
linked a post on the fans ,pretty nice read on fans. They flow between 4500 to 4900 cfm (suppositly) I guess it depends on your radiator density of fins.
So far the taurus fan looks to be a better deal for my car. It looks like they out flow many after market fans.
Richard richie49

Red98422

Reaction score
Red
The taurus fan has the same motor as the mark 8 but while the taurus has 17 inch blades the mark 8 has 18 inch blades. On Darius's post on his Stude he
linked a post on the fans ,pretty nice read on fans. They flow between 4500 to 4900 cfm (suppositly) I guess it depends on your radiator density of fins.
So far the taurus fan looks to be a better deal for my car. It looks like they out flow many after market fans.
Richard richie49

thanks for that information! I didn’t realize they were so closely related parts wise. Especially since Taurus aren’t nearly as common in the scrap yards as they once were

richie49

Reaction score
well after spending a lot of time on the phone there is no taurus or mark8 fans in pasadena houston area. in looking on line at rock auto,ebay, and amazon there is a lot of information and not enough info. Looking at the sites I have found taurus fans with the same number but different info_One site will say it fits taurus but has 15 inch blades which is supposed to be 17.:( I think the taurus is my best bet in I can find enough info. lots of sites go by application which can have more than one setup and dont say specs as in blade # or size. Still looking around.
Darius it's still hot here but now they say rain from the gulf:oops:
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. Richie,
Send me your ship to information and this here Taurus fan is yours.

Stay out of that sun!

bro. d