my poor dead engine

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
That thread you posted was very interesting read. I'm going to kick my timing up a little for a test. When it comes to the vacuum canister as far as I know its 10* can but i have no ideal when its max comes in.My engine has 11 or so vacuum. On the sniper FI
the vacuum is connected at the rear of the unit off the rear barrels.On the throttle plates you have a little lead in on the front barrels
before the back opens but very little. I have to check and see if the vac can is being opened while cruising,as I barely have to push on the pedal. Like I had said very interesting read and it gave me my answers I need to set up timing control on the sniper. Oh and its hooked to ported so I'll try manifold.
On a different note! Mr Darius you are famiar( bad spelling) with the corvair? do you know how to remove the chrom on bottem
of rear glass to get to the screws on the panel that is the air vents for the engine ( in my case the radiator) I want to clean the radiator
of thrash..
Richard richie49

mario

Reaction score
"On a different note! Mr Darius you are famiar( bad spelling) with the corvair? "

You're joking right???
Bro d and Ralph Nader were on a first name basis :rofl::rofl::rofl::devil::devil::devil:
Ciao,
Mario

Darius

Reaction score
I PROUDLY Stand "guilty as charged" concerning a more than passing knowledge of Corvairs.

Over the decades I've owned, built, modified more Corvairs than can be remembered. But I've never been a body man (at least not with cars :D). My focus was always toward performance, both of the drivetrains and vehicle handling.
However, I do know that there is a little tools that can be used to "lift" the chrome strip from the keepers and that such a tool might be available as a loner from you local auto parts store. Here is a link to "Chrome trim removal tool" https://www.google.com/search?sourc...0i131j0i10j0i13.wg4oSqtsli4#spf=1584217501721

If the parts store doesn't lend them out the good news is that they aren't expensive to buy. It does take a bit of patience to finesses the little buggers but if you take your time that trim piece can be off in a couple of easy minutes.

Here is another link, this one for You Tube videos on how to go about the job. I hope that helps.
https://www.google.com/search?q=chr...G3J4KHfm2BTYQ_AUoA3oECA0QBQ#spf=1584217695698

Best,

bro. "Less than an admirer of Ralphy Dip-wad Nader," d

Bro. Richie I almost forgot, look for the numbers stamped on your vacuum canister. There is a chart that I'll post that gives the details of how much timing they provide as well as the "tip in" points.

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
:confused::laugh::rofl: I like that darius and ralph:)

Thanks for the info on the chrome tool. I'll give it a try. Still looking at my timing. And the vacuum is pulling at cruise and found out the timing was initial timing set at 8 *.The engine ran great at 8* ,was smooth to pedal into throttle ect. Now with the timing reset to 16* I have to be very gentle on the pedal , if I am not gentle I spin the tires! Still heats up but not as fast ,so going in the right direction.
Richard richie49

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
On that tool,I have two different ones that I didnt know I had or (most likely,forgot about:() anyway on the subject of the vacumn advance I'm going a different route. I just got the sniper FI working fantastic on the caddy without the timing control.I might have to get the progressive linkage for it and reset the sniper because the darn thing is hard to leave at a stop without spining the tires.Being used to a quadrajet where you have small bores on the front when the back don't open till 75% throttle most of the time then going to a system that opens all 4 barrels at the same time takes some getting used to.(its fun but not the best in some instances)

Everybody
Any way I am switching the sniper to controll the timing. Pretty neat that you can change settings with the timing without removeing or changing any as in parts. So if I can get the timing sorted out I can change the setting and hopefully cure my overheating. Right now the engine is starting up ok and does run rougher than it was with just fuel being controlled. Holley says
#1 you have to keep the wiring away from electrical interfence, somewhat hard with the plug wires at the front.
# 2 Have to change setting till it runs right. On the timing you have to get the timing showing the same with the timing light as it reads in the handheld reading. I havn't got that correct yet,
In the manual it says about interference can cause a weak dist signal so I'm having so much fun:rofl: looking around trying to sort it. I believe I'm just not seeing what I need yet. Cant wait to get it sorted because with just the sniper controlling the fuel alone the car ran awsome with both fuel and timing it should be really great.
I'm off to go confuse myself some more:confused::laugh: Hopefully I'll have better news in a while.
Richard richie 49
P.S. Hope everybody is doing Okay with this mess with the virus.

Caddylackn

Reaction score
Are you sure you are at 0 deg TDC when your balancer points to 0 TDC? Most of our 40+ year old engines are now a frankenstein of parts from various years by now.
I didn't want to reread all the old posts, but this was ruled out?

richie49

Reaction score
yep the timing mark and everything about that is correct. The HEI ran great as a normal non timing control but with the sniper doing the control its not right.
I think I got it figured out but gotta go and reset timing and see if I'm correct.
Richard richie49

richie49

Reaction score
I think I got it in control now. Problem was too many confliting videos and manuals. Two vieos talked about a reference sinc of 45* and advancing your timing to 45* and
locking it down and the sniper would retard timing to the specs you put in for idle wot cruising and cranking time. That wasn't correct.I guess what you supposed to was set it at 45* sinc the rotor and the reluctor at that advance and then time it to 15*.I did it that way and the timing was a timing.:) Engine cranked and ran quite well plenty of power and very responsive.
Engine ran great till it hit 213*hot. I was hoping the sniper doing the controlling would cure my overheating.

I got a question for anybody that knows about setting up sniper controll or FI with timing. Question when cruising down the road at a steady speed when does the cruise timing kick in?
Running down the road at 40 mph the timing stayed at 18 * which was idle timing hitting it hard the timing goes to 34 for WOT but when or what RPM is the timing to advance like the vacumn can did?
Still checking it over:( and still confused:rofl: I am getting it done a little at a time.
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Brother Richie,

For what it's worth, I'm proud of you!! Instead of giving up or bitching and moaning, you went to work sorting out new ways to skin that cat and make that Caddy powered Vair respond the way it is supposed to respond!

Sorry, I can't help with direct knowledge of the Sniper set up.

Best,

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
I am on the Holley Sniper forum and it contains a lot of information,way more than enough to give you a headache. So far they mostly say you have to go the way of a laptop or a computer
and use the software.Its free :( BUT its only available for a pc and not an apple. You can guess what I have for a computer. Going to check on an old one I had,somewhere I havn't see in a month of sundays. Going to see if I can get a pc and download the software and hopefully not destroy the sniper .:confused::rofl: At least if I can get the pc and software I can play with it and learn to make a fuel and ignition table without actually changing what is on the sniper. I know my poor brain is gonna complain.
Richard richie49
still getting there

richie49

Reaction score
The holley sniper at the moment is running really good on the 500. I can't get the timing to advance when I'm cruising at a steady speed. When you floor the throttle it kicks to whatever the total timing you have set which at the moment is set for 35* That part seems good but since I can't get the cruise advance I don't know if the extra timing will keep my engine cooler.When driving around it slowly heats up more and more. The cooling system as it is, kept it cool as a stock engine.I would like to see if it would when the advance cruise is working before I try to redo the radiator setup now.
Got my pc up and running with the holley software and I have no ideal how to work it! Going to read some more.......
Richard richie49
Anyone know how to work the software to make a spark and fuel map?

Darius

Reaction score
The holley sniper at the moment is running really good on the 500. I can't get the timing to advance when I'm cruising at a steady speed. When you floor the throttle it kicks to whatever the total timing you have set which at the moment is set for 35* That part seems good but since I can't get the cruise advance I don't know if the extra timing will keep my engine cooler.When driving around it slowly heats up more and more. The cooling system as it is, kept it cool as a stock engine.I would like to see if it would when the advance cruise is working before I try to redo the radiator setup now.
Got my pc up and running with the holley software and I have no ideal how to work it! Going to read some more.......
Richard richie49
Anyone know how to work the software to make a spark and fuel map?

Bro. Richie,

If that software file is available to anyone for download I'd be happy to do so and give it a look. Two minds (however demented):eek: might be able to work through it!!:geek:

bro. "willing to try" d

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
It's free for anyone to download .I dont know if you have to register or not to download it. I got it on my laptop and you can use versions for stock,street and strip and race.
In order to actually change your own map from the sniper you have to either remove the sd card and put it in a reader on your pc or order a dongle for $70 dollars. When I get this finally tuned up I will probably never use the dongle again unless I change something or have to put it on a different vehicle.
Right now when I look at it even if if can change the various things I have no clue yet on what to change things to..:eek: You have worked witth fi before ,you probably or rather will know more than me or at the least be able to figure it out easier. If you can look and see It would be great. You go to holley .com then support then
EFI software then sniper EFI software.
still crosseyed Richard richie49

Last edited:

richie49

Reaction score
Darius
I started looking at the program, got it to bring up the spark map for street and strip which is what the sniper is set on.I figured out the way to change things but I dont know yet if the map I pulled up is what is in the sniper or if its a better one to try. I can get the sd card out and compare them but I dont what to try that just yet. The map i pulled up has the timing doing what I think is good but the sniper isnt doing what it shows it to be doing. One part of the timing is sinc ing the timing .Supposed to put it on static timing like on 20* and put a timing light on it and it should match.Then you rev it up and it should stay the same. Right now mine is retarding 5* then advancing 20* so I cant change the map till I get that worked out.
Richard richie49

Darius

Reaction score
Richie,

I'm on the Holley Sniper FI site now. Things look pretty straightforward. Excited to do this.

bro. d

richie49

Reaction score
Dang ,not having much luck right now on the tune.I went back and redone the timing like they said to do. You have to have the timing at the crank match the timing the sniper is reqesting.
Then you have to set the induction delay so the timing doesnt drift at higher RPM. Dont know if I got it done correctly. Took it down the road ,just steady driving and it started running rough. Stopped and checked under hood to find out the distributer turned.(not tightened down:() No Phone,first time to not take phone! Just going around the block. I turned the distributer back to where I had marked it and it started.Didnt run very good at all. put it in gear and went 20 ft and died. I RAN OUT OF GAS!!!!!:mad:. A guy driving by took me to my house and got the missus we got the corvair home .Put 7 gallens of gas in it and had to charge the battery. Fired right up but runs BAD. If I can get back out on it today. I have to redo all the dang timing install instructions.
One good note is I pulled the panal covering the radiator and washed all the fins down and it was cooling better.
Richard richie49.
P.S. Think I should drink the beer before I go out to work on it?:rofl::confused:

48Austin

Safty First! Then pull the trigger!
Reaction score
What vehicle(s) do you drive?
1964 Commercial, 1948 Austin, 58 Pan
Dang ,not having much luck right now on the tune.I went back and redone the timing like they said to do. You have to have the timing at the crank match the timing the sniper is reqesting.
Then you have to set the induction delay so the timing doesnt drift at higher RPM. Dont know if I got it done correctly. Took it down the road ,just steady driving and it started running rough. Stopped and checked under hood to find out the distributer turned.(not tightened down:() No Phone,first time to not take phone! Just going around the block. I turned the distributer back to where I had marked it and it started.Didnt run very good at all. put it in gear and went 20 ft and died. I RAN OUT OF GAS!!!!!:mad:. A guy driving by took me to my house and got the missus we got the corvair home .Put 7 gallens of gas in it and had to charge the battery. Fired right up but runs BAD. If I can get back out on it today. I have to redo all the dang timing install instructions.
One good note is I pulled the panal covering the radiator and washed all the fins down and it was cooling better.
Richard richie49.
P.S. Think I should drink the beer before I go out to work on it?:rofl::confused:
Before, during, and after:);)!

kzhurley

Reaction score
Richard richie49.

I would suggest avoiding drinking corona though lol
I hear there's bad side effects

Darius

Reaction score
Bro. Richie

First I ought to ask if you’ve made any progress on the timing issue??

After visiting the Holley Sniper forum I see where you’ve posed your ignition question there and received several replies. It appears there is a basic incompatibility between Sniper electronics and the magnetic pickup of the GM HEI distributor.

One solution offered by Sniper forum members was that you buy a Holley HyperSpark distributor but you correctly pointed out that Holley doesn’t make one for the Cadillac.

The second solution was for you to buy a Pertronix Hall-Effect module for your distributor - but once again you’ve probably found what I found which is that the Pertronix unit is made to replace a “points type,” not an HEI.

Based of what I’ve read your timing problem is probably linked to your current HEI distributor, which was giving you crazy reading even before you switched to Sniper FI. So, what about picking up a Cadillac points-type distributor and applying a Pertronix module to it?

Bro. d