my poor dead engine

Discussion in 'Big Block Cadillacs' started by richie49, Aug 27, 2018.

1. richie49

richie49 Active Member

I dont have petronics ignitian.I have the crane xr-1 and rather than buy anouther conversion I'm switching the points to HEI runing the gm 4 or 5 pin module and stand alone coil.
    This is so I can later go to the 7 pin module to control the timing when I go to fuel injection like the sniper or fittech units. The timing was pretty steady on the timing but with stock converter lugging it down it was rough and I had to run it at 1100 rpm at idle to go in gear without dieing .All the tune on it right now was me trying to calm it down with the stock converter.Now that I have 2500 stall Im going back thru tuning with plug gaps carb settings ,new plugs and wires. waiting on the wires and parts for the dist.When I get all the parts and the dist is running the HEI , I will be able to reset timing to what the engine likes and then I can recurve dist to to get a total timing of 35 or 36.The engine liked 16 initial and 36 total with the # 10 stealth cam.I just have to see what it wants now. Always seem to be waiting on parts.:( This cam has 108 lsa and lots of duration so its not going to have a really smooth idle.Anyway just got to see what happens after retuning.
    Richard richie49

2. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Well I am back on the corvair.I converted my points distributer to HEI with the Help from Kzhurley who made the relucter for me that fit the distributer. I made the setup to user a HEI coil off of a 1995 camaro. I tested the spark and it fires with a very good spark across a hei tester. I fired it up and let it warm up,then Iset the ignitial timing to 18 * Was idling pretty good. I reved up the rpms
    to see what the total timing came up too. Thats when something happened that confused me. The dang timing wasn't advancing!! It was retarding as it reved up.I checked the weights in the distrinbuter
    ,checked firing order and made sure I was on the #1 plug (the vacumn hose was not hooked up) After checking everything I cranked it back up and it did the same thing again. I looked at the engine and took the timing light and put it up and did a little cussing and shut the hood and went in to have a beer. I can't think of what to check on ,to see what is happening.What am I missing? Can the wires on the module be be reversed and retard the timing?Far as I know it wired correctly Any suggestions?

Richard richie49

3. kzhurley

kzhurley Active Member

Did you install the advanve weights and spring backwards? It looks to me that would be possible.

If I remember correctly, hei weights swing opposite direction of the points distributor.
    Possible that you where looking at an hei weight set when you,put it back together?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
  4. richie49

richie49 Active Member

The weights were the same ones on the points distributer. Im wondering if the module is bad? It wasn't new but off another hei. I'm going to check it out some more whenever I get to moving around today.

Richard richie49

5. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Well that didn't turn out to be a big problem with the timing retarding instead of advancing. I checked the wires and they were ok. So I swapped out the 4 pin module for a 5 pin one
    It fired right up so I put the timing light on it and it's advancing:):D. So that is fixed so that is progress BUT dang alternator quit:mad::cautious:. One problem at a time! Has anyone else have that problem.

Richard richie49

6. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

What vehicle(s) do you drive?:
    2007 Magnum SRT8, 1957 F100
    Any issue I’ve had with a module caused no fire at all.

PJ McCoy likes this.
  7. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Thats what I always had.It worked or didn't work. It was strange watching it retard instead of advancing.I switched the wires coming from the dist for the pickup and it didn't run
    with them reversed but did run like I had them when they were retarding the ignitian. Strange very strange. And the alternater just decided it wanted to go bad and quit.
    I had another on so it also was easy to deal with.

Richard richie49

kzhurley and 5one9 like this.
  8. PJ McCoy

PJ McCoy Well-Known Member

That happened to me once. Time was retarding. I think I had around 10 beers and could feel the timing light in my hand. What was crazy, a couple days later, the timing was dead on perfect. Go figure.

blue68deville and Darius like this.
  9. richie49

richie49 Active Member

P J
    :eek: After 10 beers i wouldn't have found a timing light or the car to time it:confused: I looked at the distributer I got the module from and it was a oldsmobile one I had on the shelf.Oldsmobile distributer rotates CCW instead of CW like our caddies do. Wonder if that would cause the issue of retarding instead of advancing?
    Richard richie49
    P.S. almost ready to get my car back on road:rolleyes::laugh:

10. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Finally got some progress.. I have been fighting the idle with this 108 LSA .Just didn't want to idle under 900-950. It would go into gear and idle ,still kinda rough
    I got the timing set 16 initial 18 in mechanical advance and 10 in the vacuum can.The carb started flooding so I took it apart and cleaned it up and went up next size on the idle tubes
    ande next size on the down restrictions and reset float to 9/32. Put it together and the idle is very strange now.When you put it in gear it idles at 900 then the longer you have it in gear
    at idle like at a stop,it goes down to 800-700-all the way to 500 RPM and does not die. When you put it back in park it starts idling up and just kinda pops back to 900. i have no clue what is happening
    A friend of mine said it doesn't need to idle long so what the heck I took it out on a test drive.while idling at 500 ,give it gas and it just starts moving right on up. I went down the road at 20 to 25 mph and dicided to test it a little. At 25 MPH I stomped on the gas and it lite the tires and started sliding around so I shut it down and went back home. The cam has a lot of potential once you get by the idle.
    I am wanting to go with the holley sniper but I have to find for sure that it can handle the low vacuum and overlap..
    Now to get it insured again and inspected and all that stuff.

Won't be long now.
    Richard richie49

5one9 likes this.
  11. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

Sounds like an advance issue to me. Does unhooking the vacuum advance help at all? Are your distributor springs really light? The super light springs have a bad habit of not completely returning to seat position. Put a timing light on it and watch the timing as the idle inches downward. It really shouldn’t change unless your springs are too light.

12. 2JvLo

2JvLo Member

66 Cdv 500
    Why don't you start off with measuring to get some usable data. Advance could be it, But false air or something wouldn't surprise me either. There is probably a shop local with a timing light and co meter, That way you know where to look instead of keep on guessing. Hope you figure it out soon! Can't wait to see a vid of it burning some rubber :whistle:

13. richie49

richie49 Active Member

The Timing isn' changing when in gear or out of gear.The vacuum can isn't changing the timing at all connected or not conected. When looking at the timing light the timing is advancing normal and stays stable and steady . When test driving it The engine responded without a problem. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the low idle bevcause it doesn't die When I get it street ready I'll
    test it some more. In the earlier post I had wrote that the engine wasn't acting like this till I redid the carb ,that is what is puzzling . It only happens when loading the engine . Firing up the engine
    (once it warms up some) It idles at 900 -950 as long as you want it too .Very head scatching.
    2jvLo I hope to get a video up with it.

Richard richie49

14. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Well guess what? I got a reply from Cliff Ruggles about the problem. And he said he has come across that problem more and more often, because of the newer fuel pumps and pressures.
    He said that you can have a very tiny leak at the seat or needle and affects the idle till you get it back out of gear :eek:. I have no experience with this problem so I have to go with the expert !
    I did remove the needle and seat when I was inspecting the carb. So I might have scarred the needle or the seat gasket. I am really getting tired of removing this carb:(

Thanks everybody for their suggestions. We will see what happens now
    Richard richie49

15. 5one9

5one9 Active Member

What is the carb?

16. Red98422

Red98422 Active Member

I’m going to assume he is speaking about a Q-jet, because he mentioned Mr. Ruggles who is THE expert when it comes to those carbs.

17. richie49

richie49 Active Member

Thats true the good ol quadrajet.
    When they work they are great Good mileage and power and a pain in the #ss i'm going to get it inspected and plates and all this week
    WEish me luck!!
    Richard richie49